Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wiper blade woes

DavyTee

Fiesta mk7 2013 Titanium

Bought new Bosch Wiper Blades six weeks ago with no problems. Used them today and the offside one is juddering like hell. Went to local indie garage as thought may be the wiper arm needs twisting to re-set as I've read elsewhere. That did nowt either. He says new blades needed even though Bosch ones only six weeks old. I've cleaned the windscreen about 10 times to make sure it's not contamination. Surely it's not the blades anyone have experience of this or know what else it may be before I fork out another £30. Could the very hot weather we've had maybe warped the blades or something. The car does sit facing the sun all day. 

Anyone with ideas 

Thanks 

Could check the texture of the rubber. See if it's hard or soft to see if the outside weather hasn't made the rubber hard

Do you use any rain repellent spray on your windscreen? 

1 hour ago, jbell said:

1 hour ago, jbell said:

No none at all and the blades feel quite soft 

1 hour ago, DavyTee said:

No none at all and the blades feel quite soft 

Sometimes rain repellent can cause juddering; at least that rules that out. I use Bosch aerotwins - presumably a lot of other people do too without any problems so assuming that's the type you're using, that rules that out too. 

Have you tried cleaning the blades with screenwash and newspaper? Supposedly newspaper makes a big difference but to be honest I've never needed to use it myself.   

If the above doesn't work, I do have a controversial suggestion: please bear in mind that I haven't tried this myself and that wax can degrade rubber, and that it may negatively impact visibility: so if you do this, plan for either vigorously cleaning the Wiper Blades or even replacing them again - perhaps try applying a very small amount of wax (same stuff you use on bodywork) to the wiper blade? 

on old style blades I have sometimes found I could stop the juddering by turning the wiper blade round the other way (unclip the plastic connector thing and put back on opposite way round) I don't know if that can be done with modern flat blades, never looked at them closely even though my car has them

1 hour ago, isetta said:

on old style blades I have sometimes found I could stop the juddering by turning the wiper blade round the other way (unclip the plastic connector thing and put back on opposite way round) I don't know if that can be done with modern flat blades, never looked at them closely even though my car has them

Don't think it can be done 

Try cleaning the blades and windscreen with white vinegar. 

• Like 1

Have been told by Ford dealer to use Methylated spirit and newspaper I'll give that a go 

23 minutes ago, DavyTee said:

Have been told by Ford dealer to use Methylated spirit and newspaper I'll give that a go 

Meths works.

• Like 1

If you have one or access to one, try using a clay bar on the glass. Never tried it myself to prevent judder but I used a Bilt Hamber clay bar (only needs water for lube) on my friends car to remove paint over spray from the windows on his car.

• Like 1

Cleaned windscreen with meths went over many times. Still judder, so went to Ford dealer and got motorcraft wipers for £18 cleaned the windscreen with fairy liquid then washed down with clean water and meths again and it's worked no more judder. 

So either meths worked or new blades even though old ones were only 6 weeks old though bought online so may have been rip off ones. 

I use Auto Glym wax shampoo on the car and I reckon that's built a film on the windscreen so won't be using that anymore. 

Thanks for all help above folks 

• 1 month later...

Judder is back. I have used every product known to man to clean glass including 0000 wire wool. I have replaced the wiper arm with a new one in case that was bent or something and still judder.

Any further ideas folks 

Should i bite the bullet and go to Ford main dealer see what they say ?

Mate i put a Thread on here a few weeks ago as mine left like a oil slick when it went back down to stop and was ok on the first wipe but i had cheap blades which

i used for a good 5 years from same person,what i was told to try and did and very cheap was the old fashion White vinegar and paper to clean the screen.

I also went online and got some ford blades £23 pair and i have to say its 100% now but the dirt the vinegar got off was amazing,i used 2 new micro cloths.

One to put it on and other to wipe it clean,all these other stuff i had been through so spending a lot for all this top rated stuff cost me 38p and 2 cloths,by the way the cheap

blades did work as well but already ordered these before,worth a try.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club