Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New to Diesel

CLCC

Hi Guys,

I have just put down a deposit on my first ever diesel car (Mondeo Mk5 2.0 TDCi 180 Titanium X), apart from using the black pump rather than the green, what tips, tricks or must-know knowledge can you pass on to a first time diesel owner?

Edited by CLCC
Typo!

Get in, drive it and enjoy the torque. 

Modern diesels are so much better than the old ones I started with, very rarely will I see the glow plug light even in the winter we just had. 

I personally wouldn’t nurse it either. Chasing high mpg is all very good but sometimes you just need to let the engine take big gulps to keep it healthy. And tbh I’ve not noticed a big difference in mpg between the two extremes. 

Obviously there are differences to petrol for parts and servicing but in terms of driving and enjoying its probably much simpler - no spark plugs to gap, no worry about damp conditions. 

Yup I love diesels. 

• Thanks 1

What sort of mileage and typical journey lengths are you doing?

That engine will have a DPF you need to be mindful of 

Well I do quite a mix of long drives, usually at least 1 a week (100+ miles), sometimes more, with shorter journeys through the week too, Maybe 1-3 miles. 

How often does the DPF need a good run? On my longer runs I have a stretch of non-stop dual carriageway of 18 miles, then shorter bits of dual carriageway with roundabouts and some B roads. I'm hoping that should be enough to blow out the cobwebs. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club