Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine cuts out when braking hard, or just cuts out

melb100
聽Share

Hi

while the car is in the garage awaiting diagnosis on a front end noise, I thought I would ask for opinions on why the engine cut out today while taking it to the garage, as i had to brake very hard because someone decided to reverse onto the main road not far in front of me馃が. this happened the other day as well but I wasn't braking at all it just cut out, but both times I did notice no dash lights came on. The engine stared up again and drove no problem on both occasions.聽

I have said to the mechanic to investigate this a as well, but just wondered if any body has had the same issues.

thank you

Does it usually happen when you push the clutch down?聽 Clutch down, revs drop to zero, engine cuts out, but when you lift the clutch to engage a gear (when still moving) the car restarts?聽 If so it could be the throttle controller.聽 This was the cause of a similar problem with an older car of mine.聽 Cost about 拢80 to have it removed, cleaned and reassembled, problem solved.

Occasionally my Focus (mk 2.5) cuts out. It's normally when coasting on the clutch whilst slowing down. Don't notice it till the steering feels heavy when聽power assist stops, then I notice all the lights on the dash.

Seems the revs go below 800 when the clutch is pressed, and sometimes it goes too low and stalls.

It has only happened a dozen times or so in 3 years, so I haven't bothered looking into it, and getting it fixed.

On 7/25/2018 at 9:28 AM, nitten_traveller said:

Does it usually happen when you push the clutch down?聽 Clutch down, revs drop to zero, engine cuts out, but when you lift the clutch to engage a gear (when still moving) the car restarts?聽 If so it could be the throttle controller.聽 This was the cause of a similar problem with an older car of mine.聽 Cost about 拢80 to have it removed, cleaned and reassembled, problem solved.

@Nitten_traveller, Yes when I had to do the emergency stop, the clutch was pushed down and braked hard, when it just cut out I was just going through the gears picking up speed and it cut out.聽

The mechanic has diagnosed the clunk on front driver side as a wishbone issue,.聽He got it to cut out while hard braking so this is being investigated fully early next week.聽

@Pistolpete1, thanks for the reply, it would seem the revs are dropping too far according to the garage guy, 聽so hopefully when fully investigated all this will be rectified.

thanks

I'd be interested in his conclusions! I forgot to mention that it cut out more,聽 and had a more fluctuating rev counter when using the clutch, when using standard petrol.

Since using Tesco Momentum it has rarely cut out, which is why I never investigated it further.

Not sure what the mechanics of the induction system are hear but I had a vauxhall which had a throttle body and it contained an idle valeve which bypassed the butter fly. This would ocasionall stick causing the car to cut out . A clean with carb cleaner would cure it

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club