Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 ST3 First MOT

Mattbaugh

Hello,

I am just looking for some advice on my 2015 ST-3’s first MOT due shortly.

Does anybody know any issues I am likely to encounter?

On my previous service I was told that I would need new brakes and a couple of new tyres, does anyone have an idea of much much these would cost at a ford dealership?

My exhaust is also blowing and will need replacing, has anyone had to replace theirs and if so, what was the cost of it?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

I had my ST3 go through it's 3rd service (Major) and MOT at my local dealership at the end of March. Cost me £250 with me providing the oil (Castrol Magnatec Professional 5w20).

Got two new tyres on the back and had the rears moved forward (had just under 3mm on fronts at the time). Went for 205/40R17 84W Hankook K120 Ventus V20 Evo2 XL for £84 inc. fitting at a local tyre dealer the week before the MOT.

MOT didn't come up with anything. I've had the car from new and at the time had done ~23,000 miles. Brakes and discs are original still (and still feel fine another ~2300 miles later).

Not sure how much the OEM parts would be but did look at getting discs and pads (Brembo/Pagid) from Euro Car Parts / CarParts4Less with the discount codes at the end of the month bringing costs down (current cost for front and rear Brembo pads and discs at EuroCarParts with Summer33 code is £190.24).

**Edit** Forgot to say that the dealer missed carrying out the Outstanding Field service Action at the time. Keep meaning to get it booked back in but keep forgetting.

17P06 - FIESTA ST IN-USE MONITOR PERFORMANCE RATIO PCM UPDATE

what have you done to your exhaust. it should last more than 3 years.

I would never buy tyres from a Ford dealer.   You would pay top prices.

"I would never buy tyres from a Ford dealer.   You would pay top prices."

you would think so. a year ago when i had my fiesta serviced the Ford dealer said I should have two new tyres and quoted 44.77 each incl vat/fitting.  They are 175/65/14 size (yes that is correct size for Econetic diesel model) . They did not indicate what make they would be, but it was not as horrendous as you might think. 

They did not really need doing at the time and I would probably have gone elsewhere if they were needed, particularly since they said I needed new brake pads which i did not need at all and I have done another 16,500 miles since then and the brake pads are still fine.  

My wife got a quote for two new tyres from our local Ford dealer for her Focus.   Got the same tyre for just under £50 cheaper elsewhere.

Best thing would be if you think/know the tyres are likely to fail an MOT, change them before you take it to the garage, otherwise if you do fail the MOT, you're slightly backed into a position of having to get them replaced more urgently.

By doing things before, you at least get to shop around.

• Like 1

What dealer was that if you don't mind me asking?

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:38 AM, Zico said:

**Edit** Forgot to say that the dealer missed carrying out the Outstanding Field Service Action at the time. Keep meaning to get it booked back in but keep forgetting.

17P06 - FIESTA ST IN-USE MONITOR PERFORMANCE RATIO PCM UPDATE

You're unlikely to fail MOT on tyre tread depth...the legal limit is 1.6mm but the service will flag them up at 3mm.  Same with brake pads, MOT limit is only 1.5mm but the service will flag them up well before then.  You should notice the performance of both drop off before reaching the MOT limits.  The only exception to that is if they've worn out on just the inside edge.  Pad change probably doesn't cost much at the main dealer but I would look elsewhere for the tyres, especially at ST size.

Are you sure the exhaust is blowing?  Unless it's been parked on damp grass for weeks at a time the exhaust should really last longer than 3 years.  Depends how bad it is and where it is as to what may need repair or replacement.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club