Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Titanium 59 Plate

BEARGER

Bought a Focus Titanium 59 reg Sept.1999 7000 miles. The coolant level was way below the min mark so I added some water. The colour was "pinky" can I add Halfords pink antifreeze or must I buy Fords'?

Bought a Focus Titanium 59 reg Sept.1999 7000 miles. The coolant level was way below the min mark so I added some water. The colour was "pinky" can I add Halfords pink antifreeze or must I buy Fords'?

onlyfrom ford mate dont touch Halfords and dont mix coolant its likely fords coolant thats in it if in doubt have the system flushed and filled the coolant shouldnt be at max but in between min and max set it there start the car take it fort a quick run then look again and youll see why the coolant expands to the max line if you read the manual then youll likely find it was set at the correct amount

Halfords do a ready mixed pink coolant which meets ford specs, so no problems with that.

generally speaking, if its pink then any pink coolant will do. (OAT technology)

usually i pour my coolant in to just below the max line, never had any issues and im certain the lines are for measuring when the system is cold. if you overfill above the max line then yes you may have issues when the system heats up and pressurised...

if anything i think your handbook will say check the level is between min and max when the engine is cold.

halfords do a ready mixed pink coolant which meets ford specs, so no problems with that.

generally speaking, if its pink then any pink coolant will do. (OAT technology)

usually i pour my coolant in to just below the max line, never had any issues and im certain the lines are for measuring when the system is cold. if you overfill above the max line then yes you may have issues when the system heats up and pressurised...

if anything i think your handbook will say check the level is between min and max when the engine is cold.

as per ford the coolant should be topped up when cold to between the min and max mark when the coolant expands it may go above this if youre topping up to max when cold and it expands youre then pushing the coolant into the overflow hose from the radiator so the system willl not function right.the system relies on pressure to force coolant through you will have pressure but you wont be allowing a vacum to be created ford will tell you to remove some so its under max when cold you run the risk of busting the overflow tank trust me ive seen them crack as the coolant expands filling the resevoir up the increase in pressure because a vacum cant be created means it has to vent somewhere usually cracking the coolant tank or busting a weak hose

as per ford the coolant should be topped up when cold to between the min and max mark when the coolant expands it may go above this if youre topping up to max when cold and it expands youre then pushing the coolant into the overflow hose from the radiator so the system willl not function right.the system relies on pressure to force coolant through you will have pressure but you wont be allowing a vacum to be created ford will tell you to remove some so its under max when cold you run the risk of busting the overflow tank trust me ive seen them crack as the coolant expands filling the resevoir up the increase in pressure because a vacum cant be created means it has to vent somewhere usually cracking the coolant tank or busting a weak hose

ive yet to see a bust coolant tank because the level of coolant has been at the max. isnt the point of the markings being where they are for when you check when cold and therefor this is based on the tank size and how much extra space is required when the system is hot and pressurised.

slightly different but still the same principles i would imagine, when you check your oil, its got to be between the min and max lines. it doesnt do any harm to have it sitting on the max line...

just reading a bit on www.2pass.co.uk

and just as i thought... Check the coolant level in the reservoir tank when the engine is cold. If the coolant level is below the "MIN", add coolant up to the "MAX" level.

ive yet to find a car thats different and one which ive got to check the coolant level is below max when the engine is hot...

ive yet to see a bust coolant tank because the level of coolant has been at the max. isnt the point of the markings being where they are for when you check when cold and therefor this is based on the tank size and how much extra space is required when the system is hot and pressurised.

slightly different but still the same principles i would imagine, when you check your oil, its got to be between the min and max lines. it doesnt do any harm to have it sitting on the max line...

from official for mechanics manual 2008 referring to older fords 2003 and older

When the cooling system pressure reaches the point where the cap needs to release this excess pressure, a small amount of coolant is bled off. It could happen during stop and go traffic on an extremely hot day, or if the cooling system is malfunctioning. If it does release pressure under these conditions, there is a system in place to capture the released coolant and store it in a plastic tank that is usually not pressurized. Since there is now less coolant in the system, as the engine cools down a partial vacuum is formed. The radiator cap on these closed systems has a secondary valve to allow the vacuum in the cooling system to draw the coolant back into the radiator from the reserve tank (like pulling the plunger back on a hypodermic needle) There are usually markings on the side of the plastic tank marked Full-Cold, and Full Hot. When the engine is at normal operating temperature, the coolant in the translucent reserve tank should be up to the Full-Hot line. After the engine has been sitting for several hours and is cold to the touch, the coolant should be at the Full-Cold line fords full cold line is halfway between min and max.filling above these marks can cause issues with the cars cooling sytem including over pressurisation it is therefore recomended that the vehicle handbook is referred to and the system is filled when cold to the manufacturer stated marks. My Focus Owner's Guide says "The coolant level should be between the MIN and MAX mark when the engine is cold." It qualifies that by saying "Hot coolant expands and may, therefore, extend beyond the MAX mark." and "The coolant should be added when the engine is cold."

just reading a bit on www.2pass.co.uk

and just as i thought... Check the coolant level in the reservoir tank when the engine is cold. If the coolant level is below the "MIN", add coolant up to the "MAX" level.

ive yet to find a car thats different and one which ive got to check the coolant level is below max when the engine is hot...

nt correct nd not vehicle specific vw is the same you dont fill to the max when its cold either that answer is an idiosyncratic answer to please the examiner pull out the ford manual and it will tell you

nt correct nd not vehicle specific vw is the same you dont fill to the max when its cold either that answer is an idiosyncratic answer to please the examiner pull out the ford manual and it will tell you

well, ive just been and read through the handbook of a new focus and...im correct.

its says it should be filled between min and max when COLD and when the cooling system heats up it may exceed the max line to an extent.

well, ive just been and read through the handbook of a new focus and...im correct.

its says it should be filled between min and max when COLD and when the cooling system heats up it may exceed the max line to an extent.

usually i pour my coolant in to just below the max line that was what you said so i was correct you mean as you said you fill to just below the max line not between min and max as it should be iut expands when hot to the max line or above

usually i pour my coolant in to just below the max line that was what you said so i was correct you mean as you said you fill to just below the max line not between min and max as it should be iut expands when hot to the max line or above

bet just below the max line is still between min and max :rolleyes:

bet just below the max line is still between min and max rolleyes.gif

smartaxxx lol its rare but i have seen it happen seats are particularly prone you had youre stumble fixed yet or is it still on going

smartaxxx lol its rare but i have seen it happen seats are particularly prone you had youre stumble fixed yet or is it still on going

never even seen under the bonnet of a seat :lol:

nah still being a PITA. i still need to double check that it only has one temp sensor though.

never even seen under the bonnet of a seat laugh.gif

nah still being a PITA. i still need to double check that it only has one temp sensor though.

do you have the trip computer if yes there are 2 one under the slam panel and one at the back of the engine under the inlet manifold above cylinder 1

you aint missing much vag engines arent as reliable as folk think if you think the focus has lots of sensors the vags are worse far worse

do you have the trip computer if yes there are 2 one under the slam panel and one at the back of the engine under the inlet manifold above cylinder 1

you aint missing much vag engines arent as reliable as folk think if you think the focus has lots of sensors the vags are worse far worse

were going off topic here but what the hell :lol:

dont have the trip computer :angry: i know about the one between 2 + 3 cylinders (CHT) but wasnt sure about anymore. my manifold is at the front, cant see any more so i guess just the one? weird..

ive worked on a vw 1.2 3cyl 6v engine a couple of time, pile of utter sh1te!! actually the vw polo 2002(52) is just a pile of sh1te, it all seems very very cheap and nasty - definetly happy with my old fordy!

were going off topic here but what the hell laugh.gif

dont have the trip computer mad.gif i know about the one between 2 + 3 cylinders (CHT) but wasnt sure about anymore. my manifold is at the front, cant see any more so i guess just the one? weird..

ive worked on a vw 1.2 3cyl 6v engine a couple of time, pile of utter sh1te!! actually the vw polo 2002(52) is just a pile of sh1te, it all seems very very cheap and nasty - definetly happy with my old fordy!

yep just the one i was going to install a trip computer i have the wiring but quite frankly i cant be arsed ide get the washer bottle with the low indicator the indicator stalk with the button and the outside temp sensor for pennies from any ghia just cant be bothered dont really need one done a few seat cordoba and passats etc had a passat too much hassle too many sensors and dumb design faults dont appreciate having to remove the whole front end to do a timing belt absoloute pain in the nuts by this time with the passat ide done timing belt and tensioner new wheel bearings new springs new brake hoses new disks and pads new coolant sensor new plugs and leads new coil pack new aircon compressor etc etc that wsa from a dealer with a full history got rid 1 year later all you do with them is spend cash every week

Genuine Ford Super premium plus antifreeze £13.32 for 5 Litres+ Delivery( rrp £24.68 + Postage) or 1 litre for £3.10 plus delivery

Genuine Ford Super premium plus antifreeze £13.32 for 5 Litres+ Delivery( rrp £24.68 + Postage) or 1 litre for £3.10 plus delivery

i that the oprange coolant or the new purple stuff and whats the difference i see brand new cars with the orange or red stuff and then after 10 yrs it gets changed to the new purple stuff

i that the oprange coolant or the new purple stuff and whats the difference i see brand new cars with the orange or red stuff and then after 10 yrs it gets changed to the new purple stuff]

This is the new premium CLEAR Antifreeze (slight hint of red/purple) CAN be mixed with red or other ford antifreeze'

i that the oprange coolant or the new purple stuff and whats the difference i see brand new cars with the orange or red stuff and then after 10 yrs it gets changed to the new purple stuff]

This is the new premium CLEAR Antifreeze (slight hint of red/purple) CAN be mixed with red or other ford antifreeze'

i see a bit like the vw stuff they changed the colour and it was mixable with other vw coolants thanks for that it was nipping m,y head when you see some with red and others with purple

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club