Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Upgrade maps to 2017 F7 & F8 versions

KugaEdge

Just checked, that error usually means that it can't find one of the files it needs on the stick so check all the files are there. If they are one may be a poor download and need downloading again.

Yep done the upgrade fine for the Sync. One of the files in the stick folder is named JR3T-14G421-BC (with no tar.gz on the end) and the other is JR3T-14G424-BC_110777.tar (with no .gz on the end). I have tried renaming to put the .gz on the end of the filename but to no avail. I must be doing something totally wrong - or could still have a usb stick problem. I have formatted the stick to exfat and also tried with a couple of mp3's which the car recognises straight away. Spent all day on this and got nowhere - hopefully you may have a bit of inspiration before I become suicidal.  Thanks for your support

OK - got it to run ok and after about 40 mins I got the message that installation failed - error 002. Seems that I am destined not to get an update!!

What could that be? Regards

Can you confirm that you unzipped the downloaded files into the respective Stick 1 and Stick 2 roots. If the tar.gz files are not named exactly right, they will not be installed. As a guide to naming, if you look at the autoinstall.lst file and rename it temporarily to autoinstall.txt you can then open it to view the contents. This will tell you the names of the tar.gz files it is looking for. Remember to change the file name back to autoinstall.lst once you are done. There should also be a DONTINDX.mst file on each stick. 

There is no point in continuing without verifying that the file names are exactly right.

stick 1 has on the top level:

autoinstall.lst

DONTINDX.MSA

SyncMyRide (a folder)

The SyncMyRide folder contains:

JR3T-14G421-BC.tar.gz

JR3T_14G424-BC_110777.tar.gz

You don't say if you are using Windows or Mac to copy to the  sticks. Windows often doesn't show the full file extensions so you can end up adding spurious extensions when you try to rename, however you shouldn't have to rename anything anyway so not sure what's happened. In Windows (10) when looking at the  contents of the stick, click the view menu and ensure the file name extensions box is ticked. This will show you the complete file name so that you can check it.

Secondly, failing after 40 mins suggests to me that one of the large tar.gz files hasn't downloaded properly and is a corrupt file, you may need to download again or use a zip program to verify that the tar.gz files are 'sound' first. There are some instructions earlier in this thread on how to do that.

I think you may have inadvertently unzipped one  of the tar.gz files. Sync actually expects them to be zipped, but the whole stick is zipped in the link provided by Loz (a zip of all the files and a folder (SyncMyRide)  that contains other zipped files that have to stay zipped if that makes sense). Did you download them from my links or from the link added later by Loz? If you use mine you shouldn't have to unzip anything anyway.

1 minute ago, SgtAWilson said:

Just go to the official ford update site, the maps have now been released on there!

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/sync-bluetooth/update#/

That way, it should work with no problems.

That's not the maps, just the Sync update. It might say it's the maps but it isn't.

5 minutes ago, KugaEdge said:

That's not the maps, just the Sync update. It might say it's the maps but it isn't.

+1

Additionally, the Ford Site said mine was up to date when it clearly wasn't.

It is now.

H

11 hours ago, Edge of Reason said:

@KugaEdge I had to unzip yours. 

OK, yes I see that now. But the point is still valid - you can unzip the tar.gz files in the SyncMyRide folder contained within the zip that you download by mistake if you aren't careful. Sync actually expects these to be compressed in the SyncMyRide folder.

So what I need is JR3T-14G421-BC.tar.gz  files to go straight over to usb root.  In the SyncMyRide folder along with JR3T-14G424-BC_110777.tar.gz.  The autoinstal.lst files and DONTINDX.msa  are outside folder.    I was mistakenly unzipping those files to usb.   Hmm   couldn`t get it to load on sync 3 at all.

This is what I see when on Ford sync 3 update page.    It says preparing download but even after 4 hours does not download .

Untitled.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Interesting, looking at EddieK's post it does indeed look like the Ford page now supports map downloads - that has changed very recently - it didn't look like that 3 weeks ago!

Just checked my VIN there and it does indeed say I have a map update available. SgtAWilson it does look like you are correct, map updates can now be downloaded directly from the Ford site.

• Like 1

Interestingly I got the same issue as eddiek when I tried to actually download them, it just hangs. Looks like Ford have only just implemented it and they still have some bugs to fix!!

• Like 1

@eddiek, when you do manage to get the maps to download, can you share the names of the .tar.gz files that are in the SyncMyRide folder. It would be interesting to see if its different (or newer) than the F7 that we have all get hold of already.

• Like 1

Just done the update and all working here . Thanks for the help and the files 

Thanks @KugaEdge, I did know what I was saying.

However, I updated mine with the unofficial version over the weekend, and have now tried to use the official version, but from what I can find on the German Ford forums the updates are exactly the same.

So the only problem I have now, is that the update XML file isnt generated, so I cannot upload this to the ford servers so that they know im up-to-date.  Any help with this would be good!

@SgtAWilson so you didn't actually download from Ford? Has anyone actually been able to get that download to work I wonder?

I'll have a think about the xml file but probably need someone to upgrade from the genuine site so I can inspect the xml file that has to be loaded back up.

56 minutes ago, KugaEdge said:

@SgtAWilson so you didn't actually download from Ford? Has anyone actually been able to get that download to work I wonder?

I'll have a think about the xml file but probably need someone to upgrade from the genuine site so I can inspect the xml file that has to be loaded back up.

Yes  I downloaded this morning took ages about 3.5 hours very slow, the problem is there is only one server tomservic all the ford dealers and public.

not done the update yet as i havnt got a big enough memory stick

I used the files as linked by KugaEdge and eventually once I got sorted (unzipping where i shouldn`t be )  installed both stick one and two in under an hour.  Sync 3  started updating as soon as i put stick 1 in.    

I`ll try the Ford update site this morning again but wont hold my breath waiting on a download.     

16 hours ago, simonb65 said:

@eddiek, when you do manage to get the maps to download, can you share the names of the .tar.gz files that are in the SyncMyRide folder. It would be interesting to see if its different (or newer) than the F7 that we have all get hold of already.

simonb65 Sorry still waiting on download to package files,  will keep trying .

14 hours ago, Loz1970 said:

Beware Mac users, Safari will automatically decompress .zip and .gz files unless you turn it off:

See this:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/961/how-to-stop-safari-from-unzipping-files-after-download

The update doesnt like macs at all if you unzip with the OS as opposed to safari it misses out the .exe file and you get this

3AD18F97-4CEE-42FE-B58D-22B089E7CC1A.jpeg

Another problem with using a Mac is that when you come to confirm update it wont read the XML file, just had to use a windows pc to do that