Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stiff Gear Stick

Slugsy

Hi all my gear stick seems to be a bit stiff and not as smooth as should be. It's stiff to the point that you can't jiggle it about to check it's in neutral unless you use quite some grip! I've had a look at the gear stick ball joint and it looks very clean so could be new so was wondering if they're ment to packed up with grease. I checked my mates 1.6 and his is the same. Any ideas at all.

Hi all my gear stick seems to be a bit stiff and not as smooth as should be. It's stiff to the point that you can't jiggle it about to check it's in neutral unless you use quite some grip! I've had a look at the gear stick ball joint and it looks very clean so could be new so was wondering if they're ment to packed up with grease. I checked my mates 1.6 and his is the same. Any ideas at all.

i would imagine theres meant to be a nice dollop of white grease on there to be honest most cars ive done have to have the jointg greased to prevent excessive wear metal on metal just had a look and the linkage and joint should be greased

Cheers mate thought as much. There seems to be a very very thin layer of grease on it but I mean a scraping quite literally!

Cheers mate thought as much. There seems to be a very very thin layer of grease on it but I mean a scraping quite literally!

you wont do any damage greasing it up so ide do that and see if you still have an issue afterwards had it with a golf and believe it or not it was the clutch on its way out if its fine changing gears then it likely needs grease if not it could be needing adjusted

Mine went the same, I just Lifted the Gaitor and sprayed 3in1 oil on the assy and worked it a couple of times job done, a word of caution Dont

use WD 40 it may make the plastic parts brittle, but an engine oil would be ok.

Brian

Mine went the same, I just Lifted the Gaitor and sprayed 3in1 oil on the assy and worked it a couple of times job done, a word of caution Dont

use WD 40 it may make the plastic parts brittle, but an engine oil would be ok.

Brian

the best stuff to use if you have it is white greasse but engine oil brushed on with a small art brush would do the job

I'll use White grease got tons at work! It seems to go into gear fine it just feels stiff as it's stiff just moving it side to side!! Another reason why I don't think it's clutch is that the car has only done 59k and there isn't any problems with the fly wheel either!

I'll use White grease got tons at work! It seems to go into gear fine it just feels stiff as it's stiff just moving it side to side!! Another reason why I don't think it's clutch is that the car has only done 59k and there isn't any problems with the fly wheel either!

nah just needs greased if it was a clutch or box problem you would have the same issue getting it in gear which you doint it probably had a good dollop of grease on it at one time but like all things its wore off

• 11 years later...

So I have the same issue(almost) with my ford focus cc 2008. The gearstick shifts into all gears but is really stiff. It is stiff in Neutral but also takes effort to put into gear too. All the gears work and it does shift just really stiff! Also, the gearstick doesn't return to the middle when taking out of gear so in order to put it from 5th to 4th for example, I have to take it out of gear, move the gearstick along to the middle then go down to 4th that way(rather than it going back to the middle its self)... Any one any ideas on what the issue could be?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club