Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front window wiper always leaves a mark.

jace1969

As on title my driver side wiper always leaves a like streak/line that goes off if you leave it a bit but worse when no heat on the window as it stops there longer,its about 1 inch wide and its becoming a pain as to make it better i have to have the heater on slight,mine is 26'' blade and 16''passenger as some sell smaller ones.

What i have done and tried.

3 types of blades from cheap ones off eBay they have always been great on other cars/Bosh one and Halfords but the same,didn't want to really pay £15 a blade from ford.

I have cleaned it and also tried rain X and also tried Fast Glass but i still get it.

Is there even a uneven part on the window.

Any advice what to try or do or wiper to try.

Ok cleaned the old ford one up and trying that.

Anyone tried and tested with very good outcome on any blades.

At the moment its a choice between Bosch and Ford as both do set of 2 for £20 but passenger is 15''

Strange that the top makes are that 1 inch smaller as i have 16'' now on the passenger and think it works that bit better.

• 2 weeks later...

Any help would be a great help, i have tried a lot of stuff and its always in the same place.

I have cleaned window/tried all sorts even put rain X on it,i have cheap wipers on at the moment but have always been great on all cars i have had so as i had 2 sets

i tried the new set and the same and same place also tried the ford one i had on first and same,picture below but it looks like oil/grease mark but when wipers are always on

its always there when wiper is going down,ok on the up wipe.

front window smear..jpg

I have also cleaned it yesterday with Autoglym clear glass with no joy.

Might be weird to ask but can a wiper rubber be put on the wrong way as when the wiper goes up first its fine and on the way down leaves the mark.

Some wiper rubbers can be fitted upside down, they are angled so the airflow over the front end pushes them onto the screen.  But that has to be a screen issue rather than a wiper issue.

Try some cerium oxide glass cleaner on that area.

7 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Some wiper rubbers can be fitted upside down, they are angled so the airflow over the front end pushes them onto the screen.  But that has to be a screen issue rather than a wiper issue.

Try some cerium oxide glass cleaner on that area.

I only ask about the wiper (just the rubber) as it happens on the down wipe so it leaves it there.

I did think something on the window but will try that as running out of options now.

Just looked at this stuff,shure there is cheaper option than £15 stuff,need a bank loan just for stuff on my window if i get any more stuff lol.

Also a person said use a hand held steam cleaner to lift the oil and dry cloth after.

It really depends what it is on the glass, if it's just oil or grease then something acidic like vinegar will remove it.  

If it's something like a bit of Rain X then you need something to polish it off like cerium oxide.

11 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

It really depends what it is on the glass, if it's just oil or grease then something acidic like vinegar will remove it.  

If it's something like a bit of Rain X then you need something to polish it off like cerium oxide.

Would this steam cleaner lift it and loosen it where the problem is and wipe off with micro cloth, would it harm a heated window as it gets worm anyway off the sun.

I have been told this is a cheaper way to try as i do have one.

You can try it.  It shouldn't harm the glass in this weather as it'll already be warm, but keep the steamer moving rather then focussing on one spot just in case.

Just been over the road and got some white vinegar and just done it with paper and the blade and the dirt it lifted off mainly the blade was loads.

Thing is i have dome this loads of times with other chemical stuff,we will see.

Cheers for the advice and will get back to see if it works.

• Like 1

Cheers TomsFocus for you advice on this 👍

Update on this is its a lot better,would say a good 60% better but not a clear wipe so as i had 2 sets of these blades and ones on are only a few days old

the older ones which are still only 4 months or so old i have changed the rubber round as it only happened on the down wipe and clear on the up wipe.

And cleaned drivers window with clear vinegar and blade and we will see,these blades are not top Quality ones but i have used them for the last 6 years and ok.

Also ordered off eBay some Genuine Ford ones (pair) thinking it could well be in the blade rubber.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club