Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Cyclists

fiesta_lad

Hi all whos with me on this topic who thinks that all cyclists should have road tax mot and insurance just like us car drivers and also abye the rules of the roads ie cyclists that go through red lights, ride in the middle of the road. if us drivers have to have mot,tax,insurance to be on the road so should cyclists.

Hi all whos with me on this topic who thinks that all cyclists should have road tax mot and insurance just like us car drivers and also abye the rules of the roads ie cyclists that go through red lights, ride in the middle of the road. if us drivers have to have mot,tax,insurance to be on the road so should cyclists.

Cyclists already have to obey the Highway Code and ‘should’ stop at traffic lights, Stop signs etc. The rules are generally the same as for any other road user, its just most cyclist seem to think they're above the law and can ignore whatever rules they don’t like. Problem is they all too often get away with it.

Whilst I think RFL and an MOT is perhaps a little over the top I do think cyclist should have to have some form of insurance particularly the more serious road racer type – after all, if a motorist caused an accident to a cycclist they will try to claim off your insurance, so I think it only fair that other road users could claim off the cyclist who causes an accident.

Cyclists do have to follow the rules of the road - those that don't are an entirely separate debate.

As for road tax - in your system where does it stop?

Pedestrians?

Prams and buggies?

Dogs?

Motor vehicles pay road tax and that's the way it should stay.

Well us car drivers have got to pay to use the road ie tax etc so why do Cyclists get it for free.

Cars are charged based on their CO2 emissions these days - so cars with the lowest emissions pay no road tax at all. Following this system, road tax on bicycles would be zero anyway.

Plus, charging cyclists would be a logistical nightmare - every kids' bike would need a number plate for example along with those of adults/commuters. Would those with stabilisers be exempt? I can see plenty of 8 year olds lining up at the post office to get their tax discs. It just wouldn't work.

When the idea was suggested by the powers that be in Scotland - they realised that it was a daft one.

The cyclist debate always amuses me, no, cyclists should'nt pay road tax; they omit no c02 emissons and cause no damage to road surfaces etc, yes there are those that give cycling a bad name; going down one way streets, cutting up pedestrians, going thru red lights etc, all i will ask is this: how many people that knock cycling actually do any ?.

I did 650 miles for help for heroes on my mountain bike last year, i also used to commute to work and back (12 miles each way), until I changed jobs, cycling is easily the most dangerous form of transportation in this country; sunken/raised man hole covers/drains, and pot holes are enough to knacker a cars suspension but what if you hit one cycling down a hill at 20 mph+ with cars and lorries passing you by inches, cars that overtake just before a roundabout or junction and then pull in so close to the curb that you have to dismount, cars that still pull out as your approaching even though you and your bike's are lit up like christmas tree's, lorries that don't give you space or slow dowm, sucking you in as they pass, etc,etc,etc,etc,etc Yes fine those that cycle without consideration and who break the law, but give the rest of us a break. Anyone that think cycling's safe and easy try this one: cycle just 5 miles on any road and see for yourself.

I now drive most of the time, cycling only now and then, solely because it is so dangerous.

Insurance is a "nice" idea but how would it be policed given that thousands probably don't have car insurance ?. Do you insure a 3 year old on his trike ?.

Insurance is a "nice" idea but how would it be policed given that thousands probably don't have car insurance ?. Do you insure a 3 year old on his trike ?.

And that’s the main problem – it would cost more to police the service than it would be worth so it will never happen, which in it self is a good thing because we would all end up paying for the administration costs.

But…

Having said that there is nothing to stop those genuine, caring cyclists from taking out some form of insurance just in case they do hit a car, pedestrian, child, etc.

I had to smile about your comment on the pot holes, drain covers etc, good point but at least as a cyclist you not having to pay money ‘supposedly’ toward the up keep of roads like the rest of us. :)

The problem with cyclists (and I used to cycle 70 miles a week on mine), is that for those that cause accidents, and they do, they are never liable for any costs - it's down to drivers to foot the bill.

There's no obvious solution to this of course, but I do think cyclists should be heavily encouraged to pass the proficiency test, no matter how basic it is (I did mine when I was 11!). Again, the solution isn't immediately obvious, but could definitely help.

Having commuted on a bike for a long period of time before passing my driving test, I honestly feel it's made me a more appreciative and more aware driver, as I know which situations could result in a cyclist may not be noticed, having been there myself on many an occasion.

Cyclists get a bad name in the way that BMW drivers do. It's always a small proportion of inconsiderate drivers/riders that ruin it for the rest of us.