Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cam belt change

JakiB

Hi everyione

I've just brought a 1.6 sport, that had a cam belt change at 91,000.  How often should they be changed?

Thanks

8 yrs or 100k . Which ever comes first but do it around 80k miles to be on safe side.just done mine on a 1.6 Titanium petrol 2010 with only 65k miles.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2018 at 10:14 PM, yunii said:

8 yrs or 100k . Which ever comes first but do it around 80k miles to be on safe side.just done mine on a 1.6 Titanium petrol 2010 with only 65k miles.

Yunni did you do the belt yourself?

Yunni did you do the belt yourself?
No mate, my mate wbo works at ford dealers did.
Yunii

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 8/2/2018 at 9:03 PM, yunii said:

No mate, my mate wbo works at ford dealers did.
Yunii

Nice one, very handy!

• 2 weeks later...

Cam belts are snapping between 70,000 miles and 100,000 miles. Original rule of thumb is 100,000 miles/10 years old, which ever comes first.

• Like 1

Ford suggest 120k but its wise to do this earlier, if its not done by 120 then do it now.

All the guides you will see are based on a statistical probability of it snapping, ford deem that after 120k the likelihood of a belt snapping is higher than average thus you are more at risk, it might last another 50k, then again it might snap on your way to tescos.

Changing a belt before reduces the chances of it breaking earlier. so if your  around 80k then the chances of it breaking are higher than when at 60k but less than 120. Of course depending on how you drive you might snap at 60k, but its unlikely, hence there is no real rule other than to do it before 120.

• Like 1

Ensure you do all the belts at the same time as cambelt change.
Yunii

• Like 2

On 8/18/2018 at 3:24 AM, Battersea418 said:

Cam belts are snapping between 70,000 miles and 100,000 miles. Original rule of thumb is 100,000 miles/10 years old, which ever comes first.

On 8/18/2018 at 10:38 AM, Dee_82 said:

Ford suggest 120k but its wise to do this earlier, if its not done by 120 then do it now.

All the guides you will see are based on a statistical probability of it snapping, ford deem that after 120k the likelihood of a belt snapping is higher than average thus you are more at risk, it might last another 50k, then again it might snap on your way to tescos.

Changing a belt before reduces the chances of it breaking earlier. so if your  around 80k then the chances of it breaking are higher than when at 60k but less than 120. Of course depending on how you drive you might snap at 60k, but its unlikely, hence there is no real rule other than to do it before 120.

I'm sitting at 124987 on mine now. Have had the belt kit since 90000 and still trying to get a chance to get it installed. Will have it done by next weekend though as The car wont be use so The weekend will be free.

yeah, my Mondeo will be getting a new belt and pump this weekend, its just hit 120. to be honest id probably have done it about 90 given the chance. Given the amount of damage that will occur from a snapped belt, its always best to be cautious.  

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club