Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HOW TO Retrofit genuine parking sensors to MK3+MK3.5 Focus

Bannko

11 minutes ago, Phil21185 said:

Hm, impulsiveness may have cost me a bit here. Well I've no problem making up a loom or two if needed. 

I tend to need to have the stuff in my hands to have a play with and work out what needs to be done. I was going by Bannkos guide but to be fair, I think that is for a MK3.5 so he may have had a lot of the parts already there. 

I have the three plugs in the boot and I've also bought the MK3 active park module. The part number is different to the 3.5. if 6 rear sensors aren't required for active park on the MK3 then I probably won't bother. 

What do you mean 6 cables from the plug at the module end to the engine bay? Seriously right the way through the car??! I may not end up doing this at all then! 

If you have the 2 yellow plugs and the black. You should just be plug and play. 

I only have the 1 yellow and black hence me needing to run the cables in. Fortunately I’ve got a complete floor harness spare. So I’ve took out the cables I need and taped them up with cloth tape and ready to run in. With not having the yellow plug for the front my engine bay harness is missing the cables obviously I checked the C23 plug by the passenger foot well for the cables to the switch  they are missing also  

I don’t think the 3 needs 6 on the rear. Have a look see if you have the supply for the blis and any extra cables in your sensor plug. If so that will be plug and play also. But price for a blis module is £400+ and not many on eBay so that’s put me off. 

Actually now that you mention, I noticed a rounded rectangular plug with two wires clipped up inside the bumper not doing anything. I wondered if it was for the extra two sensors but there wasn't one the other side. 

It also had like a red cover in it, I presume to protect the contacts. 

yes 2 plugs means front and back sensors , so you can do Active parking , check your abs sensors color

i think you need 6 because need to see 360 to park itself but not 100 sure 🙂

as i did pick rs bumper over front sensors and active parking

Good choice!! Yes I know I need the abs sensors, but I can change those any time afterwards. I'll probably never use it but it might help the resale of the car...

6 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Actually now that you mention, I noticed a rounded rectangular plug with two wires clipped up inside the bumper not doing anything. I wondered if it was for the extra two sensors but there wasn't one the other side. 

It also had like a red cover in it, I presume to protect the contacts. 

That’s the one in the picture.  You just need to check page 15 for the ms can set up of the wiring schematic and page 91. 

have you done powerfold mirrors or did yours come with it ? 

9B57BD3A-801F-465B-BFCB-F05373330F3D.png

7 hours ago, mastachaz said:

yes 2 plugs means front and back sensors , so you can do Active parking , check your abs sensors color

i think you need 6 because need to see 360 to park itself but not 100 sure 🙂

as i did pick rs bumper over front sensors and active parking

When you look on autotrader and find a focus with park assist it only has 4 on the back. That’s why I think you don’t need 6 

23 minutes ago, Phil21185 said:

Came with powerfolds.

So you could change the mirrors to ones with blis indicator and swap rear harness for one with blis and add the 2 blis radars and you should be good to go. 

@Cmax_dk unfortunately idk. On 90% there is a different module.

@Phil21185 @Tommo17

* ABS sensors easy to change BUT ! BUT they are mounted with one screw and that little fella use to get rusty over the time and that will be a problem to actually put the old ones down. Wasn't my case but a friend of mine really struggled to put the old one away. And your car is a pfl so you can also struggle with this or hopefully your's already the bright ABS sensors and not black. 

Yes PFL has only 4 sensors on the rear. The pfl module does handle only one type of parking  if i am not mistaken and FL module handles two types. You can use also the FL module and 6 sensors but in that case you will have to change also BCM for the FL one. So if you do not plan to transform your car to the facelift guts i recommend to stay with the 4 rear sensors and pfl module. And as in the instructions, if you have all 3 connectors present it your boot 2 yellow and 1 black you are just fine and all will be P&P.

* BLIS - don't think adding BLIS is that easy. They have a separate CAN and you still have to wire both of the modules to the BCM. It won't work just connecting them into the rear loom that has the extra BLIS connectors. Also activating this thing would be very difficult with Forscan. I used UCDS so it was pretty simple job.

And this guide is of course mostly for those who are lucky enough and have the P&P preparation from factory so i cannot help you in further research but it would be cool if e.g. you @Tommo17 could later extend this guide if you manage to retrofit it into your car. 

Ah, so I didn't need the 6 plug loom for the rear. 

What type of parking does the prefacelft support?

And no, I've checked and I have the black sensors.

5 hours ago, Bannko said:

@Cmax_dk unfortunately idk. On 90% there is a different module.

@Phil21185 @Tommo17

* ABS sensors easy to change BUT ! BUT they are mounted with one screw and that little fella use to get rusty over the time and that will be a problem to actually put the old ones down. Wasn't my case but a friend of mine really struggled to put the old one away. And your car is a pfl so you can also struggle with this or hopefully your's already the bright ABS sensors and not black. 

Yes PFL has only 4 sensors on the rear. The pfl module does handle only one type of parking  if i am not mistaken and FL module handles two types. You can use also the FL module and 6 sensors but in that case you will have to change also BCM for the FL one. So if you do not plan to transform your car to the facelift guts i recommend to stay with the 4 rear sensors and pfl module. And as in the instructions, if you have all 3 connectors present it your boot 2 yellow and 1 black you are just fine and all will be P&P.

* BLIS - don't think adding BLIS is that easy. They have a separate CAN and you still have to wire both of the modules to the BCM. It won't work just connecting them into the rear loom that has the extra BLIS connectors. Also activating this thing would be very difficult with Forscan. I used UCDS so it was pretty simple job.

And this guide is of course mostly for those who are lucky enough and have the P&P preparation from factory so i cannot help you in further research but it would be cool if e.g. you @Tommo17 could later extend this guide if you manage to retrofit it into your car. 

If the supply is there for blis the can wires might be in the plug. Hence being plug and play. If not yet. They require can wiring to the BCM as you say. 

I think the mk3 only does perpendicular parking not bay parking. 

well knowing my luck my sensors will be welded on by now 

by the weekend I should have all the parts but then need a dry day and free time to fit it. Will post on here if it all works out. 

Perpendicular park and bay park are the same thing arent they?

You mean parallel park?

Yep I've got most bits coming. Just the abs sensors left then if I don't need the rear 6. Anyone want a brand new rear loom for 6 sensors lol?!

• Like 1

The loom should be just fine even if it is for 6 sensors. If you plug there the 4 needed and you will activate the parking it should ignore the 2 free connectors and work without any issues. Your car is not build for 6 sensors so the car won't or rather should not search for the 2 additional one.

But cannot confirm you that on 100% 🙂

I already have rear 4 installed so it isn't a problem. Just saves me some time and drilling!

I personally think you could use the 6. You could plug it all in on the floor and test. 

just need to change the architecture of the  APIM to the 3.5 parking module. For it to display. 

The APIM should already be looking for a 3.5 module as sync 3 wasn't available on the pfl.

Thing is I've bought a pfl Active Park Assist module. 

7 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

The APIM should already be looking for a 3.5 module as sync 3 wasn't available on the pfl.

Thing is I've bought a pfl Active Park Assist module. 

You will of changed it to get the park pilot to display. Otherwise it will only beep. 

I am curious my self how it would end up the pfl module with sync3.

@Tommo17 i said it above. You cannot use FL parking module on a PFL car unless you change also the BCM module from FL.

@Tommo17yes, I did, but as bannko says, if the 3.5 module isn't recognised by the 3 BCM and the 3 module doesn't recognise the 6 sensors, then it's not going to work that way. 

As you say though, it's possible to just plug it in loose and test it 🙂

@bannko, Luke has active park assist on his I think, which was upgraded from sync 1 to sync 3 so must be pfl. 

we will just have to see, won't we? My parts should be arriving soon.

5 hours ago, Bannko said:

I am curious my self how it would end up the pfl module with sync3.

@Tommo17 i said it above. You cannot use FL parking module on a PFL car unless you change also the BCM module from FL.

I’ve seen people use a FL module and worked fine with the 6 sensors once APIM had been set to 360° vision. People like Phil who’ve upgraded to the 6. Sure it’s mentioned on forscan also. 

I knew only one guy that also changed the BCM but i never asked if the standalone parking module would work. Just logically i thought that old BCM would not recognize FL parking module. If the FL parking module works as you are saying, than that is really cool.

4 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

@Tommo17yes, I did, but as bannko says, if the 3.5 module isn't recognised by the 3 BCM and the 3 module doesn't recognise the 6 sensors, then it's not going to work that way. 

As you say though, it's possible to just plug it in loose and test it 🙂

@bannko, Luke has active park assist on his I think, which was upgraded from sync 1 to sync 3 so must be pfl. 

we will just have to see, won't we? My parts should be arriving soon.

Nothing to lose mate plug in before removing bumpers and set your APIM to recognise a 3.5 module and 360 vision and see if that works for you. 

that’s what your looking for  

a 3.5 module will work straight away with sync 3 when first retrofitting sync but if you have a 3 module you change it from a 3.5 set up (CGEA1.3) to a 3 (C1MCA) 

this will display park pilot  without it set to the correct module version you will get beeps only  

6E33AF25-CF16-47A5-97D8-A6B5D8DB8857.png

Hmm I've already got the pfl module coming...

Ok so my front loom with sensors turned up today. It was about £50 so I can't complain, though one of the sensors is missing it's bracket and also the rubber o ring which seals it in the bracket.

Looking around, I can get the o rings for a few quid, but the bracket looks like it'll be directly from ford. @Bannko did you buy them from ford and if so, how much were they roughly? Will there be an option which matches the paint of my car or will I have to spray it myself?

Alternatively I could get a complete unit with bracket off a scrapper. As it is the straight bracket I'm missing (not the ones near the wheel arch) I think one of the rear sensors would do? Are the actual sensors the same front and back?

1 hour ago, Phil21185 said:

Ok so my front loom with sensors turned up today. It was about £50 so I can't complain, though one of the sensors is missing it's bracket and also the rubber o ring which seals it in the bracket.

Looking around, I can get the o rings for a few quid, but the bracket looks like it'll be directly from ford. @Bannko did you buy them from ford and if so, how much were they roughly? Will there be an option which matches the paint of my car or will I have to spray it myself?

Alternatively I could get a complete unit with bracket off a scrapper. As it is the straight bracket I'm missing (not the ones near the wheel arch) I think one of the rear sensors would do? Are the actual sensors the same front and back?

I’ve had to get mine direct from ford £12 each. Buy a cheap sensor for £3.99 on eBay. That way if one brakes you’ve got a spare. And take the o ring. How much did you pay for the abs sensors by the way. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club