Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HOW TO Retrofit genuine parking sensors to MK3+MK3.5 Focus

Bannko

Abs sensors as well?? I haven't even ordered mine yet!

17 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Abs sensors as well?? I haven't even ordered mine yet!

No same here. I tested the system and works. 

What, without the ABS sensors??

Well I just managed to try mine, without the abs sensors and it detects a space ok but doesn't steer enough when reversing to make it into the space. 

I'll get those sensors ordered!

Hi all. It’s sounds like you’ve put a lot of work into this and although I don’t think I could go to those lengths I’m wondering how hard it would be to put the Front sensors on my kuga. 
I bought a kuga titanium crash damaged so had an st line front end fitted which has all of the sensors in it. The loom the bumper connects to definitely has more than 4 wires so I’m guessing that part of the loom is fine. But there’s only 2 plugs for the existing rear sensors for the module in the boot. 
so the question is, how hard would it be to add the third connector from the front to rear? That’s should be all I need apart from the switch and B module  

thanks. 

Sounds like you would have to add the connection between the passenger footwell fusebox (or equivalent on Kuga) and the module in the boot.

Basically the opposite of the problem I had where I had wiring from boot to BCM, but not from BCM to bumper. 

Have you had the bumper off? Has the side of the loom that is attached to the car got a corresponding wire for each wire in the bumper side of the plug?

If all that is true, it wouldn't be too difficult to do, especially if you could find a floor loom with the required plugs on it. I think you'd also have to provide wiring to the switch as well?

@Tommo17 would know more as he had to add the complete front wiring.

Can you take some pictures of whats under the boot carpet and the connection between bumper and car? 

I’ve tried to take what I can without pulling it all apart so hopefully we can see what’s needed. I’ve had the switch out as well and there are more wires in the plug than what’s needed by the switch so it might already have the wires to that. 

DA00BC44-0DC4-4C15-9A80-55DD2A14F881.jpeg

7EAE596B-BF7E-4A23-8D28-2A7A2E876CE7.jpeg

B1CD0F2E-9D4C-4A53-A558-032FE9B97480.jpeg

B38BE2A8-8A4D-4EF4-90EB-512BB0500556.jpeg

DAE832EF-EA8D-4E52-AC77-21DB1C926BF1.jpegThe first and last pictures are of the front foot well. 

Is the second picture the bumper harness?

We'd need to find the connection in the passenger footwell to establish how much of the wiring you have, along with a wiring diagram for a Kuga to correctly identify the plug, though it's possible that are the same as the focus.

@Tommo17 Nudge!

Ok, here is a picture of when tommo fitted his, 

It's a plug behind the knee panel in the passenger footwell. Hopefully the same as on a Kuga. 

The separate green wires in a loom to the left of the large plug in the picture are the ones tommo added to the switch. If you have these, it's a case of adding the wires from the connection to the engine bay loom, through the car to provide the missing yellow plug in the boot. 

Not as big of a job as it sounds, but you'd need to get an interior floor loom from a scrap car, or at least the plug with pigtails attached if you're happy soldering.

You would need to check a few things to see how much wiring is in place.  On the bright side I have a plug you could use. And you would need to run that from the module to the footwell. The kuga is the same floor plan as a focus so I’d take a guess that it’s pretty much the same. 

Are you saying you have the wiring for the sensors in the front already ? So sensors ready to plug in. 

you would need to take the glove box out sure Phil has described somewhere on here how to do it. And check for the wiring there. You sure the plug is not taped up somewhere around the module? Hardest bit of this whole thing was the engine side. Since yours is there pretty straight forward. 

@Phil21185 I didn’t get that far. It found a space and started to park but then a car was waiting so I just cancelled it and moved off. Haha. 

my system has now gone into meltdown. Took for a service and Tuesday evening and just as I arrived I got a warning parking aid malfunction. Not sure why that’s happened. So have to fault find that now. 

Could be a bad connection to a sensor. Most likely I think, if not water ingress to the bumper plug.

Forscan will tell you what the problem is.

2 minutes ago, Phil21185 said:

Could be a bad connection to a sensor. Most likely I think, if not water ingress to the bumper plug.

Forscan will tell you what the problem is.

Will it give me a location ? Thought it would just throw up a general DtC for parking module. 

soon as kids gone to bed I’ll go take a look on forscan. 

Yes the second picture down is the plug to the bumper with the bottom being the bumper side and top the engine bay. I couldn’t get a better picture without taking panels off again. 

sorry Phil but I can’t see a picture there. The glovebox comes out easy enough as I’ve already swapped it out. I’ll pull it out and see if I can compare it. If I can find this plug I might be able to see if the wires are there that go to the back of the car for the 3rd plug. I had the side panel off completely when I first looked and couldn’t see the plug anywhere. I thought it was strange that all of the other wiring might be there except this. If I do need it I’ll try a couple of people breaking and see if they have a 3 plug harness. 

tommo yes the bumper is already complete with everything going to that plug. 

cheers. 

If it's a sensor it will tell you which one, at least for the front. 

I initially got 6 errors when I first enabled the module without sensors which were all LOS for each individual sensor.

13 minutes ago, gravey11 said:

Yes the second picture down is the plug to the bumper with the bottom being the bumper side and top the engine bay. I couldn’t get a better picture without taking panels off again. 

sorry Phil but I can’t see a picture there. The glovebox comes out easy enough as I’ve already swapped it out. I’ll pull it out and see if I can compare it. If I can find this plug I might be able to see if the wires are there that go to the back of the car for the 3rd plug. I had the side panel off completely when I first looked and couldn’t see the plug anywhere. I thought it was strange that all of the other wiring might be there except this. If I do need it I’ll try a couple of people breaking and see if they have a 3 plug harness. 

tommo yes the bumper is already complete with everything going to that plug. 

cheers. 

That is because I'm an idiot and forgot to attach it!!

2DE70866-DEC7-4891-BD6C-42A053227F69.jpeg

If, as tommo says, the loom is the same for the Kuga as the focus, then you can check wire colours on the plug once you get the glovebox out. I think I listed them earlier, or they'll be in the Pam wiring diagram I linked to. 

Phil I’ve just done a scan and have an error on every circuit

- (name of sensor) sensor power circuit 

- additional fault - circuit short to ground

for every sensor 

I’ll rule out the rear tomoz and swap back to the A module. 

8 minutes ago, Phil21185 said:

That is because I'm an idiot and forgot to attach it!!

2DE70866-DEC7-4891-BD6C-42A053227F69.jpeg

@gravey11  That plug is for the switch under radio. You can see the 4 cables I’ve added. See if you have them in place on both ends. Of that plug 

That could be a bad earth connection as they share common. Check your joints. If the Pam was bad you'd get problems with the rear sensors too.

What I'm saying is it could be caused by just one loose connection. 

You might not have to swap to a module, just try changing the CCC back to rear only first. Might work with just rear, or might throw an incompatible PAM fault.

EDIT, first clear the codes and see if they come back. These are persistent codes. If it doesn't come back or at least not straight away then I'd say it's definitely a loose connection. 

Yes it’s showing the same for all front and rear sensors. It was working fine I checked all my connections apart from the front bumper ones. The plug is fine. But then that shouldn’t throw codes for the rear unless like you say module has went kaput 

Ah I didn't realise you meant the rears as well..

Ugh, hope it's an easy fix mate but it does sound like the module.

Is there a fault which is something like "lost communication with PAM", that could indicate a loose connection to the module.  But I would have thought it would be the module itself which is reporting the LOS with sensor errors, suggesting the module isn't the cause?

I’ll probably have a look on Sunday when the rain stops. Do you know which plug the Front sensors feed from in that area or do they just go straight from the engine bay back without a connection?

10 minutes ago, gravey11 said:

I’ll probably have a look on Sunday when the rain stops. Do you know which plug the Front sensors feed from in that area or do they just go straight from the engine bay back without a connection?

They go from engine bay to behind glove box to the parking module in the rear Phil has a photo on here somewhere 

found Them all on page 4. I’ll check them out when I get sorted and report back. Cheers. 

• Thanks 1

@Phil21185 well I disabled front sensors and left the module in and still showed a fault. So swapped module and rear works fine. I’ve checked all my connections to the footwell end. Guess it’s a bumper off job again to check the rest. Wife will be thrilled haha

Aw that is sounding like a module fault...

Have you tried resetting it in Forscan?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club