Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HOW TO Retrofit genuine parking sensors to MK3+MK3.5 Focus

Bannko

Focus City was the seller through eBay is where I got the console, Luke. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Luke_Anderson said:

Is this for the Rear sensors for auto park? 

If so I had one go down on me, this replacement has so far worked fine. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F193080462528

It arrived black so instantly thought I was wrong but popped it in and it works fine 👍🏻

Dang! They're the ones I've been sent.

They just throw up fault codes in the ABS system (incorrect part) and in the PAM (invalid data from sensor) I've tried resetting the ABS system in Forscan, but now I'm wondering if the ABS as-built needs changing somehow, or even if the module itself is incompatible?

Does your auto-park still work?

Do you mind dumping your abs as-built off for me please?

With my 'standard' sensors, the system works, but the steering wheel doesn't turn as you reverse. Wrong sort of steering system, perhaps??!

I originally thought that the Facet 21.0186 ones were correct (in fact I think I posted earlier in the thread - I ought to change that really), but now it looks like A.B.S 31386 are the right thing.

I'm asking AutoDoc/onlinecarparts etc (all the same company) if they'll exchange. 

Or I might try and grab the ones off a scrap Titx... If anyone happens to be visiting a scrappie.....?

EDIT: I am very, very stupid. 

One of the lines in Bannkos guide says that the sensor type needs changing in the central config. I did not did dat.

I'll refit the sensors tomorrow and try again!!

• Like 2

Well, sensors fitted (FACET 21.0186)  and car programmed correctly. No errors now, but also no opportunity to test the system.

I'm surprised the PAM doesn't throw a fault when the BCM is set to non-directional sensors. Surely if they were necessary, I'd get an incompatible component error..

Ah well, just need to find time to test. 

@Jonro2009 I've not forgotten, but been swamped past day or two. First though, get rid of your cellulose wet sponge. That'll eat through soldering tips eventually. What you want is a brass wire sponge in a holder. amazon have an identical one to mine for about £8. Saved me £££ in tips as I use a gas iron with replaceable tips!

So @Phil21185  I took my glove box out today (sounds rude for some reason) and I have the same as you. The wires are going into the big plug but not out the other side. I need to get my front sensors now but am waiting for a set to come up on eBay that are frozen white and have the loom with them. The switch should arrive tomorrow and I've connected the module (where did you secure the module?). I have activated it in Focccus and now the car beeps a couple of times when the ignition goes on. I'm not getting any visualisation on my sync 2 screen, but I'm thinking I'll need the switch. I'm pretty sure I'll have to put in extra wires for the switch like @Tommo17 did. 

Well, sensors fitted (FACET 21.0186)  and car programmed correctly. No errors now, but also no opportunity to test the system.
I'm surprised the PAM doesn't throw a fault when the BCM is set to non-directional sensors. Surely if they were necessary, I'd get an incompatible component error..
Ah well, just need to find time to test. 
[mention=70530]Jonro2009[/mention] I've not forgotten, but been swamped past day or two. First though, get rid of your cellulose wet sponge. That'll eat through soldering tips eventually. What you want is a brass wire sponge in a holder. Amazon have an identical one to mine for about £8. Saved me £££ in tips as I use a gas iron with replaceable tips!

Cheers Phil, no rush mate as I now have to wait for the brass wire sponge lol. eBay seller offered me £5 refund and keep the lights, I've asked for exchange or £10 refund, his choice. Cost £20 to buy and if I keep them I plan to put a very thin line of super glue on the crack and then give it a coat of tint spray to hide, should come up ok.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, Nathan Buffery said:

So @Phil21185  I took my glove box out today (sounds rude for some reason) and I have the same as you. The wires are going into the big plug but not out the other side. I need to get my front sensors now but am waiting for a set to come up on ebay that are frozen white and have the loom with them. The switch should arrive tomorrow and I've connected the module (where did you secure the module?). I have activated it in Focccus and now the car beeps a couple of times when the ignition goes on. I'm not getting any visualisation on my sync 2 screen, but I'm thinking I'll need the switch. I'm pretty sure I'll have to put in extra wires for the switch like @Tommo17 did. 

Ok so take those wires out of the plug and cut them off with as much tail as possible, but still leaving enough attached to the car that you can comfortably reattach to. 

What I did was to cut a little bit of wire of the end of those tails and basically add 3 metres of wire in between, just so I have colour coding at both ends of the wire for ease. If possible though, leave at least 5 or 6 inches of original wire attached to the pin end before making any joints as this will make it much easier to feed the pins into the bumper loom.

So in short, make a new 3 metre long loom of 8 wires with those cut off pins so you can be sure of each end of the wire. When the time comes, feed the non pin ends (I advise taped up) either through the engine bay grommet with the other wires (very difficult!) or poke another hole in it and feed through and put some sealant round when you're done.

The grommet is on the back wall of the engine bay, just to the left of the battery. It's easier to see and get to with the engine cover off.

Once you've got it fed to the inside it's just a case of routing the rest around the engine bay. I fed mine round the back of the battery box, between the battery and fuse box, then joined up with the existing bumper loom.

What I then had to do at the bumper end was to match up wire colours with those in the sensor loom. Not difficult to do. Take the cover off the bumper loom plug and carefully feed in the pins through the rubber seal (they will fit through the holes) and into place. A bit like nailing jelly to the ceiling keeping them all still while you put the plug back together but it can be done.

Then solder or otherwise junction your internal wires back to where you cut them off, effectively bypassing the plug behind the glovebox for the sensors.

As for wiring at the buttons. If you have wiring in the glove box I think you will have it at the buttons. Easiest way to get at it for me was to take the stereo fascia off, take out the ACM (cd player box) and reach down to the button, unplug it and push the clips in either side. 

You can of course take the HVAC panel off, but you have to dismantle half the centre console to do it.

If you have more wires in the plug than you have pins in the switch (have a look) then no additional wiring is needed afaik.

The PAM secures to the wall of the boot with two plastic splay bolts. It kind of sits at an angle below the rear cluster loom and the two holes in the lugs should line up with two holes in the metal. You need a couple of plastic bolts (not expensive, even from Ford's) the same kind you find holding the bumper on.

If you've plugged in the Active Park Assist PAM and activated it in Forscan without connecting the front sensors, you'll get errors and none of the parking system will work.

If you plug in the buttons, they should work regardless - at least, the lights on the buttons will light up, even if just to show an error. Your start stop button will still work as normal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

Cheers Phil, no rush mate as I now have to wait for the brass wire sponge lol. eBay seller offered me £5 refund and keep the lights, I've asked for exchange or £10 refund, his choice. Cost £20 to buy and if I keep them I plan to put a very thin line of super glue on the crack and then give it a coat of tint spray to hide, should come up ok.

Hope you get sorted ok. Bit of a bummer really.

I'm fairly happy with mine, they look great but the fitment isn't brilliant - the clips need manipulating in and the whole thing doesn't sit as flush as the stock ones.

The lights work nicely, but it is possible to plug them in too far and contact is then broken. This becomes a problem when trying to put the rubber seal back in as it forces the plug deeper in the socket, but this isn't insurmountable.

1 hour ago, Phil21185 said:

Hope you get sorted ok. Bit of a bummer really.

I'm fairly happy with mine, they look great but the fitment isn't brilliant - the clips need manipulating in and the whole thing doesn't sit as flush as the stock ones.

The lights work nicely, but it is possible to plug them in too far and contact is then broken. This becomes a problem when trying to put the rubber seal back in as it forces the plug deeper in the socket, but this isn't insurmountable.

Yes, I learnt that about the contacts which is a little annoying. Pushing the rubber back on keeps pushing the pins in too far so it need some to be done carefully. I also have a problem fitting the Left side, the clip doesn’t seem to want to catch closest to the inner edge. I need to figure out which way the clip needs to be manipulated, I may need to take the mirror glass out next time. I took the opportunity to plastidip the mirror covers black, not sure what I think of them yet.

3 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

As for wiring at the buttons. If you have wiring in the glove box I think you will have it at the buttons

When I fitted the facelift centre console I had to extend the wires for my stop start button which is on the centre console. There was only four wires there and looking at Tommo's, there's eight so I'm pretty sure I'll have to add them. Where did you buy your pins from? 

I didn't! My earlier posts might explain it a bit better if you can find them. 

I took my pins from the plug behind the glovebox. I took the wires out of the plug and cut them off with the pins, then made a loom with those pins going into the bumper plug, and resoldered the wires to the glovebox plug wires.

I basically extended the wires which go to the glovebox plug, but bypassed the actual plug.

EDIT: if you meant for the button wiring, I'm afraid I already had the necessary wiring so didn't need extra pins. 

I think Tommo bought a complete floor loom so that would have everything you'd need.

I've finally got around to testing the system and...

success!

Fully working auto-park, Facet 21.0186 were the right abs sensors after all!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Phil21185 said:

success!

Well done! 

enjoy the next couple of weeks of novelty before you never use it again 😂😂

success!
Result! Well done.

5 hours ago, Luke_Anderson said:

Well done! 

enjoy the next couple of weeks of novelty before you never use it again 😂😂

Yep, but it gets rid of one excuse for the missus to not learn to drive!

It does indeed! To be truthful I use it every now and again if it’s a bit tight I let the car do the work. To no honest the upgrade alone is worth it just for the front sensors! 

Yeah I'll get around to putting up a guide to supplement this one, with the wiring I did.

Not sure when that will be as I have 4 assignments due before Christmas...

Least you’ve got it covered Phil. Did you say your steering turned but not enough without the sensors. I’ve still not looked at fixing my issue yet. I think it’s one of the sensors in the front bumper as I remember one not having the catch on it was snapped so maybe came lose after a pot hole or something. 

I have plenty of pins and plugs from the floor harness if anybody needs some 

I'm having problems finding the front bumper loom with the fog light and 6 sensor plugs. @Bannko said the facelift one will fit, but I was wondering what other models have the same wiring; Mondeo or Cmax etc? 

@Nathan Buffery physically they will fit, but keep in mind that you would neet to adjust the loom to fit into your bumper a little bit and most of all you will have to change the pins in the main connector as each model have different order.  

When i recently retrofitted adaptive cruise control i also struggled to find specific loom for my focus. So i ended  up using one from Cmax. 

1 hour ago, Bannko said:

@Nathan Buffery physically they will fit, but keep in mind that you would neet to adjust the loom to fit into your bumper a little bit and most of all you will have to change the pins in the main connector as each model have different order.  

Roger that. I'll keep looking on eBay

No sure about Mondeo loom though. But Kuga and Cmax should be fine. 

On 11/1/2019 at 5:22 PM, Tommo17 said:

Least you’ve got it covered Phil. Did you say your steering turned but not enough without the sensors. I’ve still not looked at fixing my issue yet. I think it’s one of the sensors in the front bumper as I remember one not having the catch on it was snapped so maybe came lose after a pot hole or something. 

I have plenty of pins and plugs from the floor harness if anybody needs some 

Car went though all the motions except steering on the old sensors. Just reversed straight back past the space, making me look like a tit in the process!

6 hours ago, Nathan Buffery said:

I'm having problems finding the front bumper loom with the fog light and 6 sensor plugs. @Bannko said the facelift one will fit, but I was wondering what other models have the same wiring; Mondeo or Cmax etc? 

I got really lucky and found the loom and sensors, all in the right colour for £60. It was missing one o ring and one bracket, which cost me about £25 to buy and have sprayed... That bit was annoying but still a bargain overall!

The whole thing cost me about £120 since I bought a 6 sensor rear loom I didn't use and I've got about that in parts to sell on...

If I landed the appropriate sensors, brackets and module I'd maybe fit the rear 6 and see if the car would bay park too 🙂

On 11/2/2019 at 1:47 PM, Nathan Buffery said:

Roger that. I'll keep looking on eBay. 

£58 from ford. Sensors you can get from focuscity if you ring them. 

• Like 1

So I thought I'd share my experience just in case someone is in the same situation as me. 

As far as I was concerned, my focus had the rear parking sensors and it was just a case of fitting the fronts and module to get the assisted parking. 

After reading some of the post on here and talking to @Phil21185 it became apparent that I didn't have the factory fitted parking system and instead I had this.

20191104_111740.thumb.jpg.9bf16d17f7a6b0299ae234ff002c67da.jpg

I've now managed to get a good deal on the right sensors and wiring and now have rear parking beeping (I did have this before) and the visual representation on my Sync unit. 

I intend to get the fronts, but will wait until I can buy the right colour sensors and the wiring all as one lot. 

1 hour ago, Nathan Buffery said:

So I thought I'd share my experience just in case someone is in the same situation as me. 

As far as I was concerned, my focus had the rear parking sensors and it was just a case of fitting the fronts and module to get the assisted parking. 

After reading some of the post on here and talking to @Phil21185 it became apparent that I didn't have the factory fitted parking system and instead I had this.

20191104_111740.thumb.jpg.9bf16d17f7a6b0299ae234ff002c67da.jpg

I've now managed to get a good deal on the right sensors and wiring and now have rear parking beeping (I did have this before) and the visual representation on my Sync unit. 

I intend to get the fronts, but will wait until I can buy the right colour sensors and the wiring all as one lot. 

where is that 😮

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club