Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HOW TO Retrofit genuine parking sensors to MK3+MK3.5 Focus

Bannko

9 hours ago, mastachaz said:

where is that 😮

It was located on the passenger side forward of the fuse box in my boot. 

On 11/6/2019 at 8:03 PM, Nathan Buffery said:

So I thought I'd share my experience just in case someone is in the same situation as me. 

As far as I was concerned, my focus had the rear parking sensors and it was just a case of fitting the fronts and module to get the assisted parking. 

After reading some of the post on here and talking to @Phil21185 it became apparent that I didn't have the factory fitted parking system and instead I had this.

20191104_111740.thumb.jpg.9bf16d17f7a6b0299ae234ff002c67da.jpg

I've now managed to get a good deal on the right sensors and wiring and now have rear parking beeping (I did have this before) and the visual representation on my Sync unit. 

I intend to get the fronts, but will wait until I can buy the right colour sensors and the wiring all as one lot. 

I wouldn’t worry about the colour. Nip to Halfords and buy the clear coat and paint to match. Along with some fine sand paper. I’ve sprayed all mine. And came out perfect. Even getting hit with pressure washer doesn’t flake. 

Hi all, i'm back. It would seem I've fell down the rabbit hole and i'm just going to get it done. A couple of questions before i order some wiring though.

So far I'm:

1. Front Sensors
    1. 6 sensors already in the front bumper
    2. bumper harness there but nothing into the footwell. DOES THE CONNECTOR FROM THE BUMPER GO ALL OF THE WAY THROUGH TO THE FOOT WELL OR IS THERE ANOTHER JOIN?
    3. All cables need running all of the way back to the boot. I'M GUESSING ALL 8 CABLES GO THROUGH INTO THE BUMPER HARNESS?
  2. Rear Sensors
    1. 6 sensors already in the rear bumper.
    2. bumper harness there but only 4 sensors going back to the parking module. I'll need to run the additional 2 cables in.
  3. Buttons
    1. Installed the 3 button unit but at the moment the 2 parking aid ones don't light up (mention this is below)
    2. All of the wires seem to be behind the switch.
  4. Module
    1. I've installed the parking aid module (A).
    2. I've got all 3 connectors for the module as all 3 currently either don't exist or have wires missing.
    3. The existing outer Brown/Yellow connector is missing 3 green cables and one of the existing ones is black/blue but the new plug I've got has a black/green. I'm guessing that the colour difference is fine but i'm also guessing that the 3 missing green cables are for the switches. I'm sure the switches have these cables so DO YOU KNOW WHERE THE BUTTON CABLES ATTACH TO TO THE HARNESS GOING TO THE BOOT?

I'm just thinking of getting a 13 core cable and running it all of the way through to the engine bay cutting into it at the footwell for the button cables. I'll see if i can find some connectors that i can use at the bumpers though so that they can be disconnected.

Thanks

On 11/4/2019 at 7:17 PM, Tommo17 said:

£58 from ford.

Are you getting this price from an online ford site or from your local dealer? If online, what's the website? The "Ford Parts UK" is Sh.....well let's just say it's not working for me!!!

Hi all,

I'm going to be fitting rear sensors only soon and just need the module, been reading through the guide and just wanted to check as couldn't see anything definitive. 

Will a module with model number DV4T-15K866-AK work for the MK3?

Just now, jlawes20389 said:

Will a module with model number DV4T-15K866-AK work for the MK3?

Not sure about that number for the MK3 Focus. The one I got for mine starts with BM5. However, as I understand it, the last 2 letters on the serial number are the difference between just rear sensors or rear and front sensors. If you want both front and rear sensors and assisted parking,  you'll need to get a module with a "B" as the first of the two letters at the end of the serial number. The number you have above is just for the rear sensors. 

15 hours ago, Nathan Buffery said:

Not sure about that number for the MK3 Focus. The one I got for mine starts with BM5. However, as I understand it, the last 2 letters on the serial number are the difference between just rear sensors or rear and front sensors. If you want both front and rear sensors and assisted parking,  you'll need to get a module with a "B" as the first of the two letters at the end of the serial number. The number you have above is just for the rear sensors. 

Thank you, I've seen a few DV4T ones advertised as having been removed from a MK3 focus but cannot find much about them. I'll keep an eye out for a BM5T one instead

1 hour ago, jlawes20389 said:

Thank you, I've seen a few DV4T ones advertised as having been removed from a MK3 focus but cannot find much about them. I'll keep an eye out for a BM5T one instead

I have one for sale on eBay, MK3 rear only. It is a DV4T, but it's the one I removed to do this mod (see earlier in the guide!!)

Number 113930119677.

I'd take £15 delivered for FOC members!

That particular one is in my watch list haha. Sent you a PM!

2 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

I have one for sale on eBay, MK3 rear only. It is a DV4T, but it's the one I removed to do this mod (see earlier in the guide!!)

Number 113930119677.

I'd take £15 delivered for FOC members!

5 hours ago, jlawes20389 said:

That particular one is in my watch list haha. Sent you a PM!

No worries, I think you're the only watcher anyway lol! I don't know what the significance of the prefix is, unless BM5T is for a presync system or something. 

Anyway mines a 2014 which had Sync 1.1 originally. I can't really see that there'd be any problems.

Thanks very much Phil. Should be fine, it's for a 2014 that has sync 1.1 too so can't see any problems. Now to fix the water ingress at the same time!

Hi. 
One for those who have activated park assist after retro fitting. I now have front sensors cables in and the buttons working (I think) but I’m getting an error with parking assist so none of it works. It’s looking for the back 2 side sensors so 6 sensors although I’ve found I only have a 4 sensor harness. I’ve seen a few with pen assist that only have 4 sensors on the rear and 6 on the front which mine now has. Has any of yours got 6 on the back or just the 4?

im not sure if my forscan programming is having an issue as I can’t even set it to only rear now as it still moaning about the rear side sensors being missing. 

@Phil21185, received the module yesterday, thanks very much! Now to actually fit it all before her indoors starts asking me why I've not fitted it all to her car yet... 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 9:23 PM, gravey11 said:

Hi. 
One for those who have activated park assist after retro fitting. I now have front sensors cables in and the buttons working (I think) but I’m getting an error with parking assist so none of it works. It’s looking for the back 2 side sensors so 6 sensors although I’ve found I only have a 4 sensor harness. I’ve seen a few with pen assist that only have 4 sensors on the rear and 6 on the front which mine now has. Has any of yours got 6 on the back or just the 4?

im not sure if my forscan programming is having an issue as I can’t even set it to only rear now as it still moaning about the rear side sensors being missing. 

I can't see on mobile if yours is preface or not but I think you've fitted a MK3.5 module? I have a prefacelft (2014) which just has the 4. Some folk say they've seen facelift models with both 6 and 4, but I've only seen 6, which does bay parking as well. 

Is there not an option in the BCM for front and rear SAPP? 

If not, you've got two choices now:

Either source a 4-rear-sensor module and swap it, reprogramming the BCM. 

Change the harness to a 6 sensor and fit the two missing sensors to get the whole shebang.

I actually have a 6 sensor rear harness for sale which I bought brand new, intending to upgrade to the 3.5 module, but in the end I couldn't be bothered to alter the existing bumper setup.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F113930126932

hi @Phil21185

thanks I think you might be right. It’s a kuga and they changed 2016/2017. Mine was a pfl but as it as bashed up when bought it’s been converted with fl bumpers and front end already with the sensors. The module I bought is dated 2017 so I think I’m either fitting the additional sensors or changing the module. I’ve already ordered another 4 sensor loom so that I can butcher it for the 2 additional ones. It looks like your loom might have different connectors to mine anyway. 

I thought I might have been able to just enable sensors instead of auto park for the minute but it seems like it doesn’t matter what I put into forscan, the dignostics still complain about those 2 sensors being missing but I’m sure when it was set to just rear Originally with that module it didn’t. I’m not sure if I need to put the original one in and play with the forscan programming. 

17 hours ago, gravey11 said:

Ah yes sorry I remember you saying now - it was a while ago! Yes it does look like different plugs/sensors.

The whole parking system is a single entity, controlled by that single module, so if it detects a fault in any part of it, the whole module will fail.

The only part you can change without reprogramming anything are the dash buttons. They will just not do anything until the BCM is programmed.

After programming, if you are still missing parts, you will get a 'Parking Aid Malfunction' warning on startup and if you put the car in reverse, or press the sensor or auto-park buttons you will get a chime and flashing light on the buttons.

It looks like you have a 'later' BCM, which will only accept the 'later' parking module, meaning you will definitely have to add the 6 rear sensors to get the system to work.

Are they the only faults you are getting when scanning with Forscan? Two missing rear sensors?

Have you also checked your rear abs sensors? If you have the wrong type, the system WILL work, but the car just won't steer when you try to auto-park.

Not sure if same for the Kuga, but if you take the plug off one, it SHOULD be a lighter, beige or grey colour. Having said that, the ones I bought to replace my non park ones were still black...

After this, you have to change the ABS sensor type in Forscan (BCM) or you will get incompatible part errors. This is in Bannkos guide but I missed it and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work!! 

@Phil21185 well after having the b in per off last night it would seem that the 2 side sensors are actually a different connector to the rest anyway. So manipulated the plugs and taped it up real well to get it to make a good contact. Now the errors are gone but I’m left with more problems. 
I have a bad feeling this is due to the compatibility between the bcm and the fl module but I’ll write the symptoms out in case anyone else has seen this. 
- The rear sensors are all showing but it’s like the side ones (1 and 6) have joined the be with 2 and 4 and it’s still only the 4 showing signal input. 
- the front ones show up on the display but don’t show any movement. 
- the front button is unlit but when pressed the ‘on’ lights up but then no display comes on the display. 
also no auto is coming on at all. Not even when first selecting reverse. 

I’ve changed the bcm back to rear only and put the original module in and beeping is back. 
If I didn’t say before, I’m using a sync2 unit. 

im hoping there’s a change I’ve missed but I’m not holding my breath. 

has any one got some part numbers i can look up, i've tried for the past few hours to find the relevant stuff but no luck, i've got the module part number but struggling to find the harness and clips or whatever, i haven't check my car yet as it's dark when i go to work and dark when i come home lol, will check the weekend before i actually order anything.

Also does any one know if like the ford kuga, ford s-max, etc sensors and loom will work, part number is like ag9t-15k868

has any one got some part numbers i can look up, i've tried for the past few hours to find the relevant stuff but no luck, i've got the module part number but struggling to find the harness and clips or whatever, i haven't check my car yet as it's dark when i go to work and dark when i come home lol, will check the weekend before i actually order anything.

Also does any one know if like the ford kuga, ford s-max, etc sensors and loom will work, part number is like ag9t-15k868
I'm pretty sure that all the numbers you require are in this thread somewhere, have you read all 250+ comments?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

I'm pretty sure that all the numbers you require are in this thread somewhere, have you read all 250+ comments?

Yes, I have read this thread through multiple times I am not the type of person to just ask for help immediately. I however am still struggling to find what I need. 

I try to help the community rather than take from it but i just wanted some confirmation.

Yes, I have read this thread through multiple times I am not the type of person to just ask for help immediately. I however am still struggling to find what I need. 
I try to help the community rather than take from it but i just wanted some confirmation.
I did not suggest you were, I was sure that the part numbers were given in different comments but not all together. If they weren't then I am obviously mistaken.

Can you ask at the parts desk at the dealership? Have you tried this catalogue...

https://ford.7zap.com/en/car/183/no/0/2807/20904/

@Jonro2009 do you already have any of the parking system in place? I only ask as I’ve just found that keeping the part numbers togtger seem to be key.

so my rear only parking module is starts dv4t so I’ve had to get the parking assist module starting with dv4t to make sure it’s compatible (it hasn’t turned up yet so I hope so anyway). My original rear loom starts with dv4t also and I’ve seen ads on eBay for modules with the harness and their part numbers all match. 

not sure if this helps at all but mines a kuga. They do all seem to share the same units but very mk specific. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonro2009 said:

I did not suggest you were, I was sure that the part numbers were given in different comments but not all together. If they weren't then I am obviously mistaken.

Can you ask at the parts desk at the dealership? Have you tried this catalogue...

https://ford.7zap.com/en/car/183/no/0/2807/20904/

would rather not ask the dealership, find them pretty useless. 

I guess my question is really... I have a facelift ST, assuming i have the wire which i haven't checked yet, are the only things required the sensors, the loom the control unit and the sensor retainers? or is there something else that i'm missing, 

Also do i need 4 or 6, i can only fit reverse as the ST doesn't have front sensors at all

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club