Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HOW TO Retrofit genuine parking sensors to MK3+MK3.5 Focus

Bannko

7DO-04-02 XX**

The XX should be 05 for front/rear and SAPP in the APIM.

7D0-01-01 *X**

The X should be B for PDC and Reversing Camera

7D0-02-02 **** X***

Above needs to be checked as PDC architecture needs to C1MCA. If it's set to CGEA it will disappear for MK3 or vice versa for MK3.5. 

0=DS off, RSS not present, CGEA 1.3, TCU not present8=DS on, RSS not present, CGEA 1.3, TCU not present

1=DS off, RSS not present, CGEA 1.3, TCU present9=DS on, RSS not present, CGEA 1.3, TCU present

2=DS off, RSS not present, CIMCA, TCU not presentA=DS on, RSS not present, CIMCA, TCU not present

3=DS off, RSS not present, CIMCA, TCU presentB=DS on, RSS not present, CIMCA, TCU present

4=DS off, RSS present, CGEA 1.3, TCU not presentC=DS on, RSS present, CGEA 1.3, TCU not present

5=DS off, RSS present, CGEA 1.3, TCU presentD=DS on, RSS present, CGEA 1.3, TCU present

6=DS off, RSS present, CIMCA, TCU not presentE=DS on, RSS present, CIMCA, TCU not present

7=DS off, RSS present, CIMCA, TCU present

8=DS on, RSS not present, CGEA 1.3, TCU not present

9=DS on, RSS not present, CGEA 1.3, TCU present

A=DS on, RSS not present, CIMCA, TCU not present

B=DS on, RSS not present, CIMCA, TCU present

C=DS on, RSS present, CGEA 1.3, TCU not present

D=DS on, RSS present, CGEA 1.3, TCU present

E=DS on, RSS present, CIMCA, TCU not present

F=DS on, RSS present, CIMCA, TCU present

Whatever your one is presently, X needs to be the C1MCA equivalent for MK3 or CGEA equivalent for MK3.5. 

• Like 1

Something else I was wondering, if I'm fortunate enough to find a rear sensor loom with sensors attached, do these typically include any sensor mounting brackets or will I need to buy these seperately?

Thanks

Stu

The answer is, it depends. Some sellers may sell everything as one or they may sell just certain bits. 

But ultimately, you need 4 sensors and 4 mounting brackets. 

You said in your earlier post that you already have 3 connectors in the boot. 2 x brown and 1 x black. That means the rear PDC loom is already there so you just require 4 x sensors, 4 x brackets and a PAM. 

7 minutes ago, Steevo25 said:

The answer is, it depends. Some sellers may sell everything as one or they may sell just certain bits. 

But ultimately, you need 4 sensors and 4 mounting brackets. 

You said in your earlier post that you already have 3 connectors in the boot. 2 x brown and 1 x black. That means the rear PDC loom is already there so you just require 4 x sensors, 4 x brackets and a PAM. 

That makes sense 🙂

I'll need the wiring loom that connects under the car (that the individual sensors plug into) too won't I?

I did see a black cable when I had the bumper off to do a vent fix it has a tag with ABF on it and I think it operates the boot lock

Sorry, yes you will need the rear bumper loom for PDC. I mistakenly thought you said it was already there. 

There are loads on eBay as there are PAMs. Any rear bumper PDC loom for a MK3 (2011-2014). Will work. I have been told that even the MK3.5 looms work as well but never tried them. The rear sensors and brackets are the easiest ones to get. It's when you do front sensors that the brackets and sensors are different for different locations and sides and gets confusing and difficult to get the right ones. Especially as part numbers for some of the front brackets changed. 

2 minutes ago, Steevo25 said:

Sorry, yes you will need the rear bumper loom for PDC. I mistakenly thought you said it was already there. 

There are loads on eBay as there are PAMs. Any rear bumper PDC loom for a MK3 (2011-2014). Will work. I have been told that even the MK3.5 looms work as well but never tried them. The rear sensors and brackets are the easiest ones to get. It's when you do front sensors that the brackets and sensors are different for different locations and sides and gets confusing and difficult to get the right ones. Especially as part numbers for some of the front brackets changed. 

no worries, in my original post I was querying where the loom that has the sensors is attached to, I think I've found the cable underneath the car.

Thanks for the info - I'm not brave enough to do the full sensors as much as I'd love to have a self parking car!

Do you know the best way to cut the holes in the bumper? annoyingly from what I've seen the holes aren't round otherwise I would've just used a hole saw

I already had rear but did the fronts and park assist. I had no wiring in place at all. I would not want to do it all again.

I used a Dremel and manual files to cut the holes. They are kind of round with some flat sides. I drilled a hole in the middle and then used a grinding stone on a dremel to open the hole up and then used a file to finish it off to the shape. It wasn't that difficult to be honest, just time consuming. It doesn't have to be completely perfect but very close else the bracket will wobble a bit when you put it in or won't push in at all. All the hole shapes are marked on the inside of the bumper. That assumes you have an original Ford bumper and it has not been replaced sometime in it's life with an aftermarket one. 

There are Ford cutters available that cut the shape in one go and accurately, but they are very very expensive (£2000 for the kit). But if you find someone who has them, the holes can be cut to factory standards. 

Oh wow, well done on sorting it all!

Excellent, sounds straightforward when I get round to it I'll be sure to go slowly.  I have a dremmel to so can pretty much take the same approach.

blimey £2000  accurate and expensive! i'll settle for patience and as near to perfect as I can get.  

Thanks for all the info, its useful

On 1/27/2021 at 10:26 AM, chrissyboyyy said:

Rear bumper i found has the sensors and brackets on it already, still need the loom i'm about to buy as the one on the numper doesn't have the keyless antenna plug.

Front i've not even looked in the engine yet. Gonna get the rear one sorted first.

I've just purchased the active park module.

My focus is a Mk3, and where do i even look for the correct plug? someone said to me passenger side, under the headlight on the foglight loom, should be a plug?

Hi @chrissyboyyy, I have a mk3 focus with keyless entry and start.  I'm looking to retrofit reverse parking sensors but from your post it sounds like I need a specific loom - do you have the part number of the loom you bought in the end? 

Also, the only cable I have under my rear bumper looks like it connects to the boot lock, and has a code of ABF - is that the antennae  cable that you're referring to?

If not, which cable would I need to connect to the keyless antenna plug on the loom and (if its not the cable I mention above) where do I find the antennae cable?

Thanks

Stu

If you have keyless entry, then it gets more complicated. For just rear parking sensors, any rear bumper loom that supports PDC will work. But for keyless entry, there are a number of looms that are dependent on car year.

You will have to get the part number of your current loom and then try and match it with the Ford parts catalogue and then lookup the same loom that also has keyless.

The alternative is to keep your current loom in place and then run a new loom just for the parking sensors, but that does mean getting it to the PAM in the boot.

Go here https://ford.7zap.com/en/car/ and type in your VIN and then in the electrical system section you should be able to find your current loom.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nimp said:

Also, the only cable I have under my rear bumper looks like it connects to the boot lock, and has a code of ABF - is that the antennae  cable that you're referring to?

Think your boot lock is controlled from inside the tail gate rather than from the bumper side of things. If I was you, I'd buy a rear bumper loom with all the sensors and brackets that match the colour of your car. Just keep an eye out on eBay. The antenna for you keyless entry uses pins 11 and 12 of the connection under the boot (connection C44J). So when you get your new loom, you could remove the pins 11 & 12 out of your old connection and put them in the new one. Its filddley getting the pins out, but it saves you trying to track down the right loom.

• Like 1

I picked up my rear sensors and the loom from my local scrappy for £20. The sensors are actually grey, but mines an estate so the bottom half of the bumper is black, so it doesnt stand out too much. If you got the sensors cheap enough but not the right colour you could always spray them yourself. A word warning though, the sensor itself pushes in through the bumper and then the bracket comes out through. The guy at the scrappy was like a butcher trying to get them out until I stepped in. He bent one of them, which annoys me still when i look at them. The print of the hole is on the back of the bumper, once you've cleaned it. I cut mine out with a drill and a sharp Stanley knife, but if you have a dremel its probably more precise.

11 minutes ago, Nathan Buffery said:

I picked up my rear sensors and the loom from my local scrappy for £20. The sensors are actually grey, but mines an estate so the bottom half of the bumper is black, so it doesnt stand out too much. If you got the sensors cheap enough but not the right colour you could always spray them yourself. A word warning though, the sensor itself pushes in through the bumper and then the bracket comes out through. The guy at the scrappy was like a butcher trying to get them out until I stepped in. He bent one of them, which annoys me still when i look at them. The print of the hole is on the back of the bumper, once you've cleaned it. I cut mine out with a drill and a sharp Stanley knife, but if you have a dremel its probably more precise.

£20, bargain!

If you spray the sensor do you know if this would make them less effective? If they're already blue for example and I paint them black to match

I get you, so the collar of the bracket sits out on the bumper then you insert the sensor through the hole into the bracket  so you have the sensor surrounded by the bracket collar outside

That's frustrating he didn't take more care, I'd be annoyed too!

Thanks for info re cutting, I did wonder about drilling some pilot holes and cutting between to make the cut - I'm surprised a Stanley blade cuts through, I thought they'd be tougher than that 

The way it works with the brackets and sensors is that the brackets go in from the front of the bumper. They kind of snap in to place flush with the bumper. 

The sensors push in to the brackets from behind the bumper and again snap in to place. 

The brackets I got from Ford (but they are for the front sensors and harder to get the correct ones). They came black and I just sprayed them from a can. They are fairly small so you don't really see any spraying imperfections when they are in the bumper. 

I sprayed 2 of my sensors. Just be very light with the spraying. I gently rubbed them down with 800grit then gave them 2 very thin coats of plastic primer, then 2 very thin coats of basecoat (metallic silver in my case). I did not put a clear coat on. Again, they are so small that once they are installed, you cannot tell it was done from a spray can. The trick is not to put the paint on thick, especially if it's metallic otherwise the sensor could be affected. 

Regarding your loom, you could just take any extra wires out your current loom. Once you work out how the connectors come apart and how the pins come out, it's fairly easy. Failing that, there are plenty of rear bumper looms on eBay. You just need to get a part number. Very easy from the parts catalogue. 

Just for info, here are some part numbers for a 2012 Focus (rear brackets and sensors). This is hatchback.

Outer sensor brackets:

1772292 Frozen White
1770997 Tangerine Scream
2013800 Dark Micastone

Inner Brackets

1723287 Colorado Red
1723289 Mars Red
1723292 Dark Micastone
1723294 Blazer Blue
1772476 Frozen White

These are the official Ford part numbers. They state that Frozen White is paint to match. But mine came black from Ford using the appropriate part number from the front. But you can search on these part numbers on eBay to at least get the correct bracket and hopefully you can find one that has already been painted in your colour.

Sensors (all 4 are the same)

1765204 Colorado Red
1765208 Lunar Sky
1765210 Mustard Olive
1765221 Surround High Gloss
1765202 Panther Black
1765207 Moondust Silver
1765216 Midnight Sky
1765223 Frozen White
1765225 Blazer Blue
1785111 Burnished Glow
1789527 Race Red
1828215 Deep Impact Blue
1765201 Blue Metallic
1765209 Mars Red
1765218 Dark Micastone
1765228 Red Candy Tint
1768388 Spirit Blue
1768389 Tangerine Scream
1802577 Ice Storm

Again, any of the above sensors will work but need to be painted if not in your colour.

Looms (there are literally loads). You will need the year/month your car was built (not registered). Then look at the list below and choose the loom that comes within your build time and has the features you need.

https://ford.7zap.com/en/car/53/code.cc,1.28746,2.5145,4.47205,6.1112,7.13221,13.32959/0/1770/16389/71504/#15B484

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Steevo25 said:

Just for info, here are some part numbers for a 2012 Focus (rear brackets and sensors). This is hatchback.

Outer sensor brackets:

1772292 Frozen White
1770997 Tangerine Scream
2013800 Dark Micastone

Inner Brackets

1723287 Colorado Red
1723289 Mars Red
1723292 Dark Micastone
1723294 Blazer Blue
1772476 Frozen White

These are the official Ford part numbers. They state that Frozen White is paint to match. But mine came black from Ford using the appropriate part number from the front. But you can search on these part numbers on eBay to at least get the correct bracket and hopefully you can find one that has already been painted in your colour.

Sensors (all 4 are the same)

1765204 Colorado Red
1765208 Lunar Sky
1765210 Mustard Olive
1765221 Surround High Gloss
1765202 Panther Black
1765207 Moondust Silver
1765216 Midnight Sky
1765223 Frozen White
1765225 Blazer Blue
1785111 Burnished Glow
1789527 Race Red
1828215 Deep Impact Blue
1765201 Blue Metallic
1765209 Mars Red
1765218 Dark Micastone
1765228 Red Candy Tint
1768388 Spirit Blue
1768389 Tangerine Scream
1802577 Ice Storm

Again, any of the above sensors will work but need to be painted if not in your colour.

Looms (there are literally loads). You will need the year/month your car was built (not registered). Then look at the list below and choose the loom that comes within your build time and has the features you need.

https://ford.7zap.com/en/car/53/code.cc,1.28746,2.5145,4.47205,6.1112,7.13221,13.32959/0/1770/16389/71504/#15B484

Thanks @Steevo25, I really appreciate the time and effort you've gone to to help me out.  This forum is an invaluable resource!

I got loads of help when I did mine so just passing it on now I have done mine. 

I didn't have to do rears on mine as it came with them. But I had absolutely no wiring for the fronts so went to a scrappy and got an entire floor and dash loom for £30 and then had to remove all the wiring from those looms that I needed and add it to my looms. It was a massive job that meant having to strip out all the interior, carpets and panels as I wanted the wiring to look OEM. I also added electric and heated seats at the same time along with a reversing camera install and upgraded to Sync 3. 

Yours sounds like the majority of the wiring is already in place if you have 3 connectors in the boot so if you wanted to add fronts and park assist in the future then it shouldn't be too bad a job. The loom for the front bumper is easy as there are only 2 versions (with spotlights or without). But the brackets and 2 of the sensors are harder to find for the fronts as the brackets are all different for offside and nearside. Also, the front outer sensors are completely different sensors to the others on the front and don't seem to come up very often on eBay

4 hours ago, Steevo25 said:

I didn't have to do rears on mine as it came with them. But I had absolutely no wiring for the fronts so went to a scrappy and got an entire floor and dash loom for £30 and then had to remove all the wiring from those looms that I needed and add it to my looms. It was a massive job that meant having to strip out all the interior, carpets and panels as I wanted the wiring to look OEM. I also added electric and heated seats at the same time along with a reversing camera install and upgraded to Sync 3. 

Yours sounds like the majority of the wiring is already in place if you have 3 connectors in the boot so if you wanted to add fronts and park assist in the future then it shouldn't be too bad a job. The loom for the front bumper is easy as there are only 2 versions (with spotlights or without). But the brackets and 2 of the sensors are harder to find for the fronts as the brackets are all different for offside and nearside. Also, the front outer sensors are completely different sensors to the others on the front and don't seem to come up very often on eBay. 

I'm hoping I'll also be able to advise from experience once I get it all sorted.

Wow, that sounds like a heap of work, good on you for doing it.  I recently had to remove my interior to take out the carpet and underlay to dry everything thoroughly after suffering from the water coming in via the rear vents, I was surprised just how much water the underlay held. How easy was it to add heated seats?

Yeah it sounds like I lucked out with the connectors, but Im not sure I'd be brave enough to fiddle around with the front of the car, but who knows!

Adding heated seats could be easier than adding parking sensors. 

For many cars, the wiring is already there and it's just the case of putting in the switches and centre console loom (of course you need seats that are heated as well). On my car (a 2014 Focus Hatchback Titanium Navigator) it seems that Ford left out every single nut, bolt and wire that wasn't being used. My seats were cloth, manual, non-heated seats and I purchased a complete leather interior from eBay that had electric and heated seats. But again, I had to run all the wires. Luckily, the looms I got from the scrappy had the wires for this so just moved them all to mine. 

If you check fuses 34 and 35 in your rear fuse box and they are there, then you already have the wiring for heated seats. Sometimes they don't put the physical fuse in but the wiring is there. Fuse 9 is for the seat electrics. If you have all that in place, it's just the case of swapping the seats and then buying the switches with wire off eBay. The switches go where the 12v socket is. That small panel is replaced with one that has 12v in the middle and a heated seat switch either side of it. It can certainly be added in an hour or two if everything is already in place with no drilling or cutting. 

Or there are retrofit heated seat kits that I have seen work well. But I wanted OEM. 

40 minutes ago, Steevo25 said:

Adding heated seats could be easier than adding parking sensors. 

For many cars, the wiring is already there and it's just the case of putting in the switches and centre console loom (of course you need seats that are heated as well). On my car (a 2014 Focus Hatchback Titanium Navigator) it seems that Ford left out every single nut, bolt and wire that wasn't being used. My seats were cloth, manual, non-heated seats and I purchased a complete leather interior from eBay that had electric and heated seats. But again, I had to run all the wires. Luckily, the looms I got from the scrappy had the wires for this so just moved them all to mine. 

If you check fuses 34 and 35 in your rear fuse box and they are there, then you already have the wiring for heated seats. Sometimes they don't put the physical fuse in but the wiring is there. Fuse 9 is for the seat electrics. If you have all that in place, it's just the case of swapping the seats and then buying the switches with wire off eBay. The switches go where the 12v socket is. That small panel is replaced with one that has 12v in the middle and a heated seat switch either side of it. It can certainly be added in an hour or two if everything is already in place with no drilling or cutting. 

Or there are retrofit heated seat kits that I have seen work well. But I wanted OEM. 

It sounds like ford started watching their budget and got a bit tight when making later cars - you must've spent hours in yours retrofitting what you have!

I've checked and I have fuses 34, 35 and 9 so sounds like the wiring is taken care of, I'll look into it 🙂

I know what you mean re wanting oem, I'm the same.

Assuming the wiring is already in the centre console (take out the 12v panel and see if there is a connector unused either side) then all you need is this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-Mk3-2011-2014-Heated-Seat-Switch-/373473975393?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

If it isn't, then you need a centre console loom which has heated seats. 

My car was out of action just over a week when I did all mine. That was working on it all day, every day. 

6 hours ago, Steevo25 said:

Yours sounds like the majority of the wiring is already in place if you have 3 connectors in the boot so if you wanted to add fronts and park assist in the future then it shouldn't be too bad a job. The loom for the front bumper is easy as there are only 2 versions (with spotlights or without). But the brackets and 2 of the sensors are harder to find for the fronts as the brackets are all different for offside and nearside. Also, the front outer sensors are completely different sensors to the others on the front and don't seem to come up very often on eBay. 

Thanks man,i correctly  programmed the apim and all is working very well now.

1 hour ago, Steevo25 said:

Assuming the wiring is already in the centre console (take out the 12v panel and see if there is a connector unused either side) then all you need is this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-Mk3-2011-2014-Heated-Seat-Switch-/373473975393?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

My car was out of action just over a week when I did all mine. That was working on it all day, every day. 

I'll have a look and see whats there.  wow I bet you were glad to be finished!

Cheers

Stu

19 hours ago, Steevo25 said:

I checked under my 12v panel and there is no wiring in place for the heated seats (unless I moved it when I removed the centre console a while ago)

Does anyone know how to translate/convert manufacturer part numbers (e.g the ones mentioned in ford.7zap.com such as 1788239) to the engineering part number thats displayed on the white stickers on looms on eBay (such as BV6T15K868ACF)?

Finally, I understand that there should be no issues with me connecting the front parking sensor cable to a rear only PAM without front sensors being connected, will that also be the case if I buy a PAM that supports front sensors and parking assist?  My thoughts are if I'm going to buy a PAM I might as well buy one that does everything, but I don't want to do that if the rear sensors then don't work because the system expects to see the fronts and have parking assist enabled

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club