Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HOW TO Retrofit genuine parking sensors to MK3+MK3.5 Focus

Bannko

Since you have a MK3.5, you have better options as the PAM on the MK3.5 is configurable so you can set different options for sensors. 

If you want parking assistance, then you need 6 sensors on the front. These consist of 4 x 29db sensors and 2 x 36db sensors.

The 36db sensors are for the sides at the front. Two of the 29db sensors have to be colour coded to the bumper colour and the other 2 go in to the grill which are black (do you have the grill for the parking sensors as you will need it). The 2 x 36db sensors are also colour coded and will only fit in the right place on the front bumper loom as the plugs are slightly different (they are called SAPP sensors).

For the rear, you can go for either 4 or 6 sensors. If you only have 4 sensors, you can still have park assist but you only get parallel parking. If you have 6 sensors then you get perpendicular parking as well (bay parking).

You can also configure park out which will assist you out of a tight space. All the sensors on the rear, be it 4 or 6, are the same and all 29db and all colour coded. 

You will have to configure the PAM with either Forscan or UCDS to tell it you have either 4 or 6 sensors on the back, but the PAM module is the same one. It's a different PAM if you are having only rears. 

If you configure the PAM incorrectly, the module will show DTCs and will disable the whole parking assist system (front and rear) until you fix the errors. You will also get a parking aid malfunction message come up on the display everytime you start the car. 

• Like 1

If someone has fitted a 36db sensor to a place on the loom designed for a 29db sensor then they would have had to de-key the plug as the plugs are slightly different between a 29db and 36db sensor. 

On 3/18/2021 at 6:58 AM, Nathan Buffery said:

How come you have 2 front looms?

i bought 2 damaged looms as i couldn't find a decent one and they came with a few sensors (but no fitting brackets) but they are the wrong silver and white versions so i may just use them as they are and pretend they don't matter

then i bought another undamaged loom that came with the sensors and the plastic bits to fit them into so i checked and then found the discrepancy

i've yet to find a 6 sensor rear loom though, just want to make sure i can fit it without needing any more additional wiring, i'm assuming the plug for this is going to be behind the o/s boot panel but i don't want to dismantle anything until i've got everything i'd need to fit ready to fit in one go (because the mrs will be ***** off mainly)

On 3/18/2021 at 1:15 PM, Steevo25 said:

If someone has fitted a 36db sensor to a place on the loom designed for a 29db sensor then they would have had to de-key the plug as the plugs are slightly different between a 29db and 36db sensor. 

that's what i thought, they only go in one slot on the other loom so it's just trying to figure out where the run of the loom goes as it's a bit more complicated than i'm used to

5 hours ago, Dojj said:

i've yet to find a 6 sensor rear loom though, just want to make sure i can fit it without needing any more additional wiring, i'm assuming the plug for this is going to be behind the o/s boot panel but i don't want to dismantle anything until i've got everything i'd need to fit ready to fit in one go (because the mrs will be ***** off mainly)

The plug for the rear bumper loom is actually under the car on the drivers side. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nathan Buffery said:

The plug for the rear bumper loom is actually under the car on the drivers side. 

i am assuming that all it needs is the 6 sensor loom plugging in then and it'll work yes?

after programming etc?

if i can find the plug will it be obvious which type of loom it is or is this going ot be a case os tripping the car down to run eleventy million more wires?

14 minutes ago, Dojj said:

i am assuming that all it needs is the 6 sensor loom plugging in then and it'll work yes?

after programming etc?

if i can find the plug will it be obvious which type of loom it is or is this going ot be a case os tripping the car down to run eleventy million more wires?

As I understand it by reading back a bit in this thread, you currently have 4 sensors on the rear?

If you want to go to 6, you will normally have to run 2 extra wires from the rear bumper plug to the PAM. You may be lucky, since you have a MK3.5, and the wires may already be there. 

• Like 1

later on i'll try to get more pics of what i've got, if anyone can explain how to remove the carpet trim to see what's behind it for more understanding of how big a job it could be that would also be appreciated 👍

Fitted the sensors today, however I only have a light brown and black connector for the parking module. Things should be ok correct? A seller had sent me the wrong module so will be reordering another, but that too will have 3 connectors.

Part number BM5T15K886-AK for a Nov 2014 prod. Focus? Any issues here?

Others had confirmed that 2 connectors are enough?

connectors.jpeg

5 minutes ago, RowanOnFord said:

Fitted the sensors today, however I only have a light brown and black connector for the parking module. Things should be ok correct? A seller had sent me the wrong module so will be reordering another, but that too will have 3 connectors.

connectors.jpeg

5 minutes ago, RowanOnFord said:

connectors.jpeg

Are you just fitting rear sensors?

All the modules have 3 connector ports. The black plug is the rear sensors and the light brown is power/control. They will only fit in to the correct ports on the module. 

The module part number you gave is a rear only sensor module. It's correct if you are only doing 4 rears. 

2 minutes ago, Steevo25 said:

Are you just fitting rear sensors?

All the modules have 3 connector ports. The black plug is the rear sensors and the light brown is power/control. They will only fit in to the correct ports on the module. 

The module part number you gave is a rear only sensor module. It's correct if you are only doing 4 rears. 

Legend! Thanks for the v quick reply 💪🏼 Ok yea that's as expected. Yup just the rear 4. I'm aware they all have 3 but after being somewhat scammed on eBay, I was doubting myself and thinking that I messed up. Truth is they'd given me a Transit module and I didn't read the number on it until fitting it today. Focus no likey 😂 Hoping once that number arrives that it'll be plug in and sorted, everything else is done and closed back up

Hi - does anyone have a picture of what the OEM 5" Mk3 PreFacelift display looks like with front parking sensors?  Is it just the same as I have but with 4 (or 6) extra columns of green / yellow rectangles at the front?

cheers

• Like 1

Hello guys. I have been following this thread for a long time to add front parking sensors and possibly park assist. I got the PAM module, Park assist switch and Front 6 sensor loom. I have 4 stock sensors on the rear. I want to add two more sensors on the rear to get 6+6 sensor view.

Can anyone please confirm if the rear side facing sensors are 29 dB or 30 dB or 36 dB? I believe rear side sensors are 30 dB (part number JU5T-15859-ACW) and 4 rear main sensors are 29 dB (part number JX7T-15859-AA). If anybody with working APA and Perpendicular assist can confirm the numbers that would be really helpful.

On the Focus, all 6 at the back are the same and are 29db. 

I see you have an Ecosport so it could well be different. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you Steevo. Do you think it is possible to use 6+6 sensor configuration (instead of 4+4) without activating auto park capabilities?

I am not sure how it works on the Ecosport. On the Focus we have a separate, independent PAM module. Some models have this integrated in to the BCM. 

With the PAM, parking sensors and automated parking are 2 different things. On mine, for example, I can enable 12 sensors which will all act as parking sensors and show up on the display, but I can disable the automatic parking if I wanted to. 

The additional 2 rear sensors are only used for perpendicular parking but when not in an automated parking maneuver, they just act like parking sensors. 

• Thanks 1

Going to replace my mk3 PAM module with a MK3.5 PAM module. Anything else I need to look out for? 

I am hoping it will be a straight swap

What are you using as your display (Sync1, Sync2, Sync3 etc)? The PDC Architecture will need to be changed from C1MCA to CGEA. 

The only thing to configure on the PAM (assuming rear only sensors) is the number of channels (either 4 or 6 sensors). 

Depending on your BCM firmware level, the backlight dimming may or may not work.

But assuming you have a MK3.5 IPC, it should virtually be plug and play. 

Swapped IPC few months ago and updated the firmware today so I have digital speedo 

Just need to swap the PAM module now so I can get my parking sound back. 

Just need to figure out how to access it from boot. 

20210328_123809.jpg

The PAM is very easy to get to. On the right hand side of the boot, just pull the right hand trim down (it's the soundproofing kind of felt type material). It literally just pulls away with a bit of wiggling and pulling. 

You will see the PAM under it. It is held on by 2 clips, one at the top and one at the bottom. They are the type of clips where you pull the middle bit out of the plastic clip. The same clips that are used for the bumper. 

The plugs on the PAM just unclip by pressing the little tab and then pulling out. 

Refitting is exactly the reverse of removal. 

You will then need Forscan to check/change the AsBuilt of the PAM to the number of rear sensors you have. Usually 4 if you have a MK3. Most MK3.5 had 6 so that is probably what it is currently set to. 

736-01-01 X4XX XXXX XX

Then reset the PAM using Forscan. 

The display unit will need to be set to CGEA Architecture otherwise you will not see any parking sensor graphics on the screen. This is done differently depending on whether you have Sync1 or Sync2/3. 

Done, didn't take long

Just need to get laptop and see what I need to do on forscan as putting in reverse doesn't do anything at moment 

PhotoGrid_Plus_1616938368918.jpg

The other thing to be aware of (that caught me out) is that the parking sensor system will now behave like a MK3.5. This is different to a MK3. 

On a MK3, the rear parking sensors get activated by selecting reverse. On a MK3.5 they get activated by speed. So when you sit at traffic lights and someone pulls up close behind you, the flank guard will spring up and beep. They are only activated by movement. 

Not seeing PAM asbuilt option only PAM firmware update 

Not seeing PAM asbuilt option only PAM firmware update 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club