Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Soot in exhaust

michaelburrows

on a 62 plate focus 2.0 tdci 163 how much if any soot would it be expected to find. I get a small amount  .should dpf collect it all or is it reasonable to expect some

All diesels no matter what will get lots and lots of soot lol hence dirty diesels lol 

Dpf doesn't catch all of the soot (it's for gases mostly which it burns off)

* in brackets is wrong

26 minutes ago, Paramanic said:

Dpf doesn't catch soot it's for gases mostly which it burns off

That's completely wrong, the Diesel Particulate Filter is there to catch particulate matter such as soot. This is then burned off during a regeneration leaving behind some ash.

• Like 2

Stick to petrols @Paramanic! :tongue:  As Mike says, the DPF is literally a filter for particulates (soot).  It has no effect on gasses at all.  They also have a cat before the DPF to reduce certain gasses like CO which your dirty petrols produce far more of lol.  And an EGR valve to reduce NOx gasses, which again, your dirty petrols produce more of now they're direct injection lol.

There shouldn't be any soot on a DPF tail pipe in an ideal world.  Diesels are no longer visibly dirty.  You certainly shouldn't have a thick black coating around the tip like you would on a pre-DPF diesel.  A light coating isn't unacceptable though.

I've currently got a 1.6TDCi with a DPF and a 2.0TDI with a DPF...tail pipes are clean on both. :smile: 

• Like 2

Got mixed up with adblue my bad [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Burns off to make water vapour basically [emoji23] but all diesels still get soot in exhaust visible soot no so when you rev non should appear but your clean rear of the car will get soot and soot will be on the exhaust

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Going off mates VW GTD btw which isn't modded my cars exhaust has got soot on it but I've never cleaned it yet to know how much lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

VAG fit straight tips to DPF models as there shouldn't be any soot from them.  They always fitted downturned tips to non-DPF models.

My tips are still perfectly clean...cleaner than some of the petrols I've had tbf lol, just wish they were shiny and rolled from the factory as well.

IMG_20180803_133610.thumb.jpg.30991fe85ae41ba69aae02c87b0ef85f.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club