Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Average Mpg

GreyMack

I have just purchased a Ford Focus Sport 1.6 56 plate and initially i was freaking out at the fuel consumption. When i filled up it stated 300 miles to empty....300 miles are you serious. This seemed a very small amount. Anyway after driving 235 miles it's just below half so clearly i will get more than 300 miles but the MPG that is showing does seem very low, it's currently showing 39.4. Now i drive motorway driving from home to work and i previously had a diesel mondeo which stated combined mpg of 49, extra urban 60. Now i was getting 55mpg so better than combined, the Focus should do about 43 combined going up to 50 on extra urban and therefore 39 seems very low.

Should i be concerned or will it settle down or really can anyone offer some advise on this?

Many Thanks

I have just purchased a Ford Focus Sport 1.6 56 plate and initially i was freaking out at the fuel consumption. When i filled up it stated 300 miles to empty....300 miles are you serious. This seemed a very small amount. Anyway after driving 235 miles it's just below half so clearly i will get more than 300 miles but the MPG that is showing does seem very low, it's currently showing 39.4. Now i drive motorway driving from home to work and i previously had a diesel mondeo which stated combined mpg of 49, extra urban 60. Now i was getting 55mpg so better than combined, the Focus should do about 43 combined going up to 50 on extra urban and therefore 39 seems very low.

Should i be concerned or will it settle down or really can anyone offer some advise on this?

Many Thanks

theres hundreds of these posts mpg is dependant on many factors but basically it comes down to one thing the mpg stated by ford is not real world mpg ive searched for youre real world mpg and its 39mpg thats on a good day add hillds traffic a heavy foot aircon on radio on lights on etc and it will drop even lower its still fairly cold outside tso it takes the car a bit longer to get up to temp one tip dont fill the tank the more fuel you put in the heavier the car is the more the engine has to work to haul it along so youll use more fuel diesels have the torque so it isnt as muuch an issue they are towing cars after all but with a petrol loading the car up with a full tank if you dont have to is a waste of cash from what all the experts say driving with a full tank costs you at least 6 quid of fuel in wastage right now if the car is driving okay and its been serviced then ide leave it be

People really need to start using the search button on this forum. the site is going to get clogged up with the same thing. 39 is respectable. You've gone from a derv to petrol so you will instantly notice a difference. Think yourself lucky I get 25mpg. But what artscot said is right try to limit how much you top up by. Max really is 2/3. Hope everything else goes ok.

People really need to start using the search button on this forum. the site is going to get clogged up with the same thing. 39 is respectable. You've gone from a derv to petrol so you will instantly notice a difference. Think yourself lucky I get 25mpg. But what artscot said is right try to limit how much you top up by. Max really is 2/3. Hope everything else goes ok.

sadly it comes down to a lack of understanding on how companies calculate these figures which is done on a test track an oval usually a predetermined amount of fuel is put in the car then they drive vaious distances slow then medium then fast they do not calculate hills inclines traffic speed humps roundabouts etc so the figures are optimistic example the toyote prius was meant to do 80mpg when it wes introduced jeremy clarkson used it for a week and barely got 50mpg from it meaning the majority of small engine petrol cars such as a daewoo matiz or a diesekl mondeo are actually better mpg but the hype the clever wording of toyota makes people believe its better when its not and when you understand how much co2 is emitteed making the batteries for the prius its more damaging than driving petrol my point is homework dont believe the hype and jargon companies tell you research first before buying if you travel motorway a lot you would have been better sticking to diesel what youre getting is pretty good just wait till winter again when you start seeing 26-34mpg the companies arent lying as such the car does do that mpg on the test track in rigorously controlled conditions we dont drive that every day the mpg stated is what the car can do in optimum conditions

Cheers guys and thanks for the warm welcome slugsy ;)

Cheers guys and thanks for the warm welcome slugsy wink.gif

dont take it personally its just if you search the same question comes up time and time and time again and the truth is if economy is a major factor then either buy a small 1.0liter petrol or 1.2 petrol or a diesel these cars a good few years ago had good economy but by todays standards they are lacking new people are always welcome mate so dont take it personal it just feels like every second post recently since november has been fuel economy i think everyone was hoping we wouldnt see another mpg post but hey stick with us and we do try to help if we can and unlike some ford forums its free biggrin.gif

It's cool and as a prominent poster on other forums i know the same question can seem like they get asked over and over again but what i always try to remember is everyone believes their question is specific to their issue. And if your fed up seeing the same question then just ignore it :)

It's cool and as a prominent poster on other forums i know the same question can seem like they get asked over and over again but what i always try to remember is everyone believes their question is specific to their issue. And if your fed up seeing the same question then just ignore it smile.gif

i would but as you say they need help so fed up or not we usually answer rather than no one replying strangely its only been since the bad weather that mpg has beenan issue really roll on the summer and it will be overheating wink.gif

Sorry didn't mean it personally mate but me and artscot are a regular poster and like he said this question has cone up god knows how many times in the last few month or so. Artscot has said everythin I would have said but once again sorry and welcome to the club.

No Problem

But i'll test out your goodwill by asking do you rate these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200366860887&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2014wt_939

I was a bit disappointed with the lack of creature comforts in the sport edition and especially miss my arm rest, saw this on eBay and i'm intrigued.

No Problem

But i'll test out your goodwill by asking do you rate these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...T#ht_2014wt_939

I was a bit disappointed with the lack of creature comforts in the sport edition and especially miss my arm rest, saw this on ebay and i'm intrigued.

i have actually fitted one of these very easy to fit they simply screw onto the central console near the rear ashtray once you get the position right so it doesnt interfere with the handbrake it actually works really well they are good quality as well not cheap looking decent stowage for cds i pods etc the only thing i found is you tend to lean a bit to the side when using it but it is good i fitted a cheaper one fora mate 40 quid it was not nice not comfy and looked tacky. i recently had a passat sport and i miss my arm rest as well as soon as funds allow im having one of those 2

Did he have the black or grey?

As my interior is mostly grey i should really choose that but i have a hankering for the black....well the steering wheels black isn't it :)

Did he have the black or grey?

As my interior is mostly grey i should really choose that but i have a hankering for the black....well the steering wheels black isn't it smile.gif

he had the grey interior but got the black to be honest i would have went for grey but he did have some black bits on the interior he then got black leather look seat covers these ones http://www.amazon.co...65578665&sr=1-6 and it actually looked quite nice with the black car mats didnt look out of place he had ordered the grey one but we sent it back as it was a lighter grey than the interior ive done one of these and they arent too bad either http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-FOCUS-MK1-98-01-BLACK-ARMREST-NEW_W0QQitemZ300379285586QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item45f0002852

and this one looks good as well bit cheaper and fits the same way havent done one of these but they look good http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-FOCUS-I-98-01-CENTER-ARMREST_W0QQitemZ200439133061QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2eab1a7385

So are you saying the light grey didn't look that good and the black was the better choice?

The other 2 items look ok but are sadly for the mark 1 focus.

So are you saying the light grey didn't look that good and the black was the better choice?

The other 2 items look ok but are sadly for the mark 1 focus.

the black looked better than the grey in all honesty the grey is quite light the black blended in a lot better

Thanks

Just fitted a new air filter the old one was black, hopefully that might improve my MPG all be it ever so slightly ;)

i'd go with the black armrest. never thought to search for one of those. Miss mine out my leon cupra and wouldnt mind putting another in my focus!!

Hmmm if the air filter was that dirty then it might pay to replace to plugs too along with a nice drop of decent oil and oil filter. Maybe even change the fuel filter.

i'd go with the black armrest. never thought to search for one of those. Miss mine out my leon cupra and wouldnt mind putting another in my focus!!

Hmmm if the air filter was that dirty then it might pay to replace to plugs too along with a nice drop of decent oil and oil filter. Maybe even change the fuel filter.

well im getting these http://vi.ebaydesc.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=300379285586&t=1246978427000&ds=0&js=-1&ssid=3&seller=the-tuning-shop-team&category=72213&bv=msie&caz.html

and this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Smooth-Rear-Wiper-Arm-Blade-Ford-Focus-Mk1-ST170-RS_W0QQitemZ220551260690QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3359e12a12

http://vi.ebaydesc.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=180321681547&t=1248780762000&ds=0&js=-1&ssid=3&seller=race..parts&category=21654&bv=msie&caz.html

and for bulbs my mate has these and they are good

have to agree if the filter was that dirty a nice set of plugs and leads wont go amiss either really

I bought the car from arnold clark and was told it had received a g71 which is i think the most basic of services, maybe new oil and filter at best.

Slugsy your first link didn't work

I bought the car from arnold clark and was told it had received a g71 which is i think the most basic of services, maybe new oil and filter at best.

Slugsy your first link didn't work

thats oil and filter change and a general check over basically better than nowt really at least the oil is done or should be check the dipstick should be nice and gold coloured get the plugs from ford that way youll get the right ones for it and they are actually cheaper than Halfords for them same with leads the air filter wouldnt have been helping the breathing much so it would effect the mpg a bit best way to improve mpg is always to service the engine regularly i usually check my air filter every 4 months or so sometimes earlier and make sure the front wheels arent sticky sorry brakes quick jack up and spin them by hand and youll know should spin freely with no resistance as dragging brakes knock the mpg simple cheap and easy