Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Recall - Adaptive Steering

Trent Edge

Had my car in the other day for a brand new steering wheel due to the adaptive steering failing occasionally.

The guys in service said that it's a new recall that has only just started apparently and putting my VIN into Ford ETIS shows up nothing... EXCEPT, if I do it on my iPhone on the mobile version of the site with the exact same page and location set as UK still, it shows that there is a recall for the Adaptive Steering. Don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Anyway...

Might want to check yours. Mines a 2016 model.

EDIT: Must be a "Chrome" thing as tried it on Internet Explorer and it shows the field service action.

That recall been out a few months. 

Great for them to let me know considering how much time my car has spent in the garage the past 6 months!

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have a detailed description of what the recall contains? It's flagged against mine and I've just started getting Adaptive Steering Fault warnings over the last 2 days (just over 11,800 miles, and 21 months on the clock) ... so, looks like the reliable old girl is starting to play up!

Detailed description is as follows. New steering wheel. 

Simples. 

26 minutes ago, iantt said:

Detailed description is as follows. New steering wheel. 

I was wondering if the replacement was the same part of if they improved/fixed the underlying issue and the new steering wheel is a new part? A copy of the Recall service Instructions would be good to see.

There's no mention if the part numbers are new or not, but would assume the new ones shouldnt be affected the same way. 

• 2 weeks later...

Had a new steering wheel in mine. The only difference I found was...

Before - Full steering lock was near enough 1 turn

After - Full steering lock around 1.3 turn of the wheel.

• Like 1

Reading other forums, the recall is for loose steering wheels! They've had a few come off in the states!!! So the recall and the adaptive steering fault are not related. There is a TSB for the adaptive steering fault and I've checked the DTC's in the steering module and I've got C1B00:82-48, C1B00:87-48 and U0121:00-48. The first 2 are talked about in the TSB, and if present, are a direct replacement of the wheel with a newer part number. Car is booked in next week for them to change it.

4 hours ago, simonb65 said:

Reading other forums, the recall is for loose steering wheels! They've had a few come off in the states!!! So the recall and the adaptive steering fault are not related. There is a TSB for the adaptive steering fault and I've checked the DTC's in the steering module and I've got C1B00:82-48, C1B00:87-48 and U0121:00-48. The first 2 are talked about in the TSB, and if present, are a direct replacement of the wheel with a newer part number. Car is booked in next week for them to change it.

it is basically the same fault regardless of the tsb or recall. the recall is done to try prevent the issue occouring before the customer has the issue requiring the tsb to be done. the steering wheel can in some instances have excess steering movement in relation to the road wheels but the steering wheel should not "come off" . where did you hear that? 

Having checked, the recall I saw was for the 2014 EDGE and there is a current one for Fusion and Lincoln in the USA!! Your right Ian, the current active recall is for ...

Outstanding Field service Actions

17B35 - ADAPTIVE STEERING

Doh! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I got my Edge Sport (2017) last April. I started getting the adaptive steering needs service warning after a couple of months. It went into my local Ford who said it needed a new steering wheel. This was done but the adaptive steering fault reappeared. They then tried another new steering wheel and the same thing happened. Then they told me about the recall to fit another new steering wheel so this has just been done.

No fault showing but I cannot set the adaptive steering to normal or sport so I am suspecting that possibly the adaptive steering has been disabled (if this is possible).

Anyway, I will be going back to Ford tomorrow to speak with them. Has anyone else had this problem?

Cheers

Alan

I still have the option to choose Normal or Sport in the settings but full lock is different compared to the previous wheel. Did you find this?

11 hours ago, Trent Edge said:

I still have the option to choose Normal or Sport in the settings but full lock is different compared to the previous wheel. Did you find this?

I find that the steering is a bit heavier in general which I think indicates that the adaptive steering is not working

I thought the point of the adaptive steering was not to make it heavy or light, but to change the number of turns lock to lock, dependent on speed, so more turn of the wheel required for a given amount of steering in general use, but less turn of the wheel for the same given amount of steering at slow speeds, effectively making it swifter to manoeuvre at slow speed. 

Sorry, I forgot to include that my full lock comment is with the car stationary.

• 1 year later...

The eps seems to be an issue, mine has failed twice, first time caused an accident, ford denied this was the issue, happened 6 months later luckily on straight road, this time I was able to photograph all the warning faults and got it recovered to dealership.  Ford were unable to diagnose issue so replaced entire steering rack and eps.  Did mention any recalls.  Now don’t drive over 40 in case the steering locks again.  Apparently Ford have had to recall over 500,000 vehicles in USA with eps issues.  They Should’ve stuck to hydraulic power steering.  Can’t wait to get get rid of this Canadian death trap. 

11 hours ago, Tenby Edge said:

They Should’ve stuck to hydraulic power steering

Must agree. I've never liked the feel of EPS over a hydraulic system ... although if you've ever had a hydraulic steering system fail (old Rover came off a roundabout between turnoffs because the steering instantly became so heavy it felt as though it had locked and the car just took itself straight to the scene of the accident!), you would opt for something else!

• 1 year later...
On 10/10/2018 at 9:40 PM, Trent Edge said:

Just had mine done I have normal and sport but can't select them. Went from 1 turn to 1.3 and temp numbers have changed and cruise buttons are in different places.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I posted on this forum yesterday (in a different area I think) about the exact same problems that you’ve all experienced.

Does anyone have any documentation about the recall? 
When I enter my VIN number into the Ford site nothing comes up, and I’ve already paid over £4,000 to rectify the issue with no joy, so I’ll like to go armed and ready when I take the car back to Ford on the 23rd September.

Many thanks 

20 minutes ago, Lozza41 said:

Does anyone have any documentation about the recall? 

Lorraine, see attached document re the recall Technical service Bulletin (TSB) ...

197170 - AdaptiveActive Steering - Check AdaptiveActive Steering Message Illuminated With DTC C1B00.pdf

This is also some info I found a while back about other fault codes that may be raised with an Adaptive Steering Fault ...

Nov 2 2016  3947 - 2016 Edge/MKX - Adaptive/Active Steering Fault Message With DTCs U3000, C2003, B137F, B1380, U210A, And U2000 In The Steering Effort Control Module (SECM)

1. Some 2016 Edge/MKX vehicles may exhibit an illuminated adaptive/active steering fault message in the instrument panel cluster (IPC) message centre with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) U3000, C2003, B137F, B1380, U210A, and U2000 stored in the SECM. 
  2. If DTC U3000:96 is present, the SECM must be replaced. 
  3. If DTC U3000:96 is not present, reprogram the SECM to the latest calibration using Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) release 102.05 or higher. 
  4. Make sure you are connected to the internet when entering module programming to obtain the latest updates. 
  5. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraftservice.com. 
  6. Use causal part3600 and applicable labour operations in section 10 of the service Labour Time Standards (SLTS) manual. 
  • Like 1