Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2011 MK3 1.6 TDCI 100k Servicing

skyking_comms

My focus has now hit 91k and I expect in 6 months it will have 100k on the clock. Wondering what servicing it should have?

I know it will need a cambelt change (assume water pump changed at the same time?)

Usually have a full service every 20k with an oil and filter change every 10k

Thanks

37 minutes ago, skyking_comms said:

My focus has now hit 91k and I expect in 6 months it will have 100k on the clock. Wondering what servicing it should have?

I know it will need a cambelt change (assume water pump changed at the same time?)

Usually have a full service every 20k with an oil and filter change every 10k

Thanks

Hi Darren.  

Yes Cambelt & waterpump and aux belt as well.   Oil + filter, air filter & fuel filter, pollen filter and the usual checks.  I think that's it at 100k. Brake fluid if done by the book should be every 2 years or 24,000 miles.  Coolant should be changed when the waterpump is done.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:54 PM, Albert27 said:

Hi Darren.  

Yes Cambelt & waterpump and aux belt as well.   Oil + filter, air filter & fuel filter, pollen filter and the usual checks.  I think that's it at 100k. Brake fluid if done by the book should be every 2 years or 24,000 miles.  Coolant should be changed when the waterpump is done.

Thanks for the info - I'm getting the cambelt done tomorrow!

Out of interest how long do you think these 1.6 tdci engines last? I'd like to keep mine as long as possible but wonder how long the turbo, gearbox and clutch will last now it's approaching 100k

how long do they last: I had a 2007 Fiesta 1.6TDCI which now belongs to my brother. When I bought it, it had 1,600 miles on it. It now has 162,500 miles on it.  Cambelt was changed by me at 115k. The injectors seals started leaking but fixed by doing the injector retaining nuts up a bit tighter. Now has engine management light on and fault codes say it is a EGR problem (this problem started at about 160k). I did not change the water pump and it is still fine. I changed the oil and filter every 15k miles when I had it (I know ford say 12,500). Since selling to my brother it has now been 30k since last oil change (very silly of him to neglect it). It's been a superb engine. Gearbox and clutch have been fine with no work.

I appreciate the Fiesta is a lighter car than the Focus.  I was very pleased with it.

If you do change the water pump, don't go for a cheap one. A new cheap one may fail before your original one may have done if left in there.

Mine is on 137,000 ish miles and still doing ok.  Cam belt done at 100k and oil/filter changes every 7-8k, otherwise only consumables such as tyres (several) and break pads (once).  Preventative action on the DPF/EGR with remap done a few years ago and nothing needed for the turbo/clutch/DMF yet touch wood.  Just a ticking/tapping noise during acceleration which I need to investigate and hope it is nothing major, but otherwise I am happy and looking to keep it as long as possible.

I have one question on the brake fluid which has never been changed to my knowledge.  I live in a dry climate and the brake performance is fine - am I running any major risks by not getting this done?  I tend to be light on the brakes normally by adapting to the road ahead in plenty of time, but obviously they do need to be effective when called on to stop quickly. 

5 minutes ago, south_bound said:

Mine is on 137,000 ish miles and still doing ok.  Cam belt done at 100k and oil/filter changes every 7-8k, otherwise only consumables such as tyres (several) and break pads (once).  Preventative action on the DPF/EGR with remap done a few years ago and nothing needed for the turbo/clutch/DMF yet touch wood.  Just a ticking/tapping noise during acceleration which I need to investigate and hope it is nothing major, but otherwise I am happy and looking to keep it as long as possible.

I have one question on the brake fluid which has never been changed to my knowledge.  I live in a dry climate and the brake performance is fine - am I running any major risks by not getting this done?  I tend to be light on the brakes normally by adapting to the road ahead in plenty of time, but obviously they do need to be effective when called on to stop quickly. 

Yes over time the fluid will start getting dirty and reach boiling point a lot sooner (as far as I know), unless you're Fred Flintstone get your fluid changed 

Guys, don't forget the mk3 8v 1.6TDCi is completely different to the old 16v 1.6TDCi in the Mk2 Focus and Mk6 Fiesta...  

The mk3 1.6TDCi clutches were/are pretty poor, but if yours has made it to 100k on the original you must have got a good one, a lot were changed under warranty so yours may have been done already.  The turbo's are very rare to fail on the 8v engine, they don't suffer with the carbon blockages that the 16v did.  The 6sp gearbox is mostly reliable, but I have seen a few kill the input shaft bearing.

Next thing to break is likely to be fuel injectors...

As for brake fluid, it takes in water over time, when you use the brakes hard and heat up the fluid the water boils and leaves bubbles of air in the fluid.  The air can be compressed, where the fluid can't.  So you're not getting all of the force being transmitted from the master cylinder through the system to the caliper.  The other issue with water in the fluid is that it can cause steel brake lines to rust from the inside.  I don't think anyone sticks to the 2 year interval once out of main dealer servicing, and tbh you're unlikely to notice much performance difference on the road, but it is worth doing now and then.

10 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The mk3 1.6TDCi clutches were/are pretty poor, but if yours has made it to 100k on the original you must have got a good one, a lot were changed under warranty so yours may have been done already. 

This is interesting and explains why the clutch & slave were done twice on the mk3 I bought with 100k miles.  There was me thinking the last owner rode the clutch as a hobby 😁

On the how long they'll last question, my mk3 1.6tdci is on 108k with no problems and running sweet.  My mk2.5 with the same engine but the 16v (90bhp and no dpf)  has 161k, puffs smoke like you'd expect to see at a theatre performance & rattles like the snake of the same name but once warmed up I forget all the issues and remember my love for the car lol  200k is the aim!

Thanks for the replies. Cambelt was changed but mechanic chose not to replace water pump as it looked fine and mentioned problems with aftermarket ones. Fingers crossed it's now good for another 100k 🙂

The only problem I have found with the clutch is on cold days as it squeals just past the biting point normally on a slight incline. I've got used to it and it doesn't impact pulling away. 

The only other niggle is a very brief loss of power somewhere between 60 - 80 mph. It happens very infrequently and when it does happen it lasts for about a second. I did bring it to a Ford garage who updated the firmware but it never went away. That was about 18 months ago so not sure if another update has come out.

Apart from that it's a fantastic car - averages 65mph and only £20 road tax. Would struggle to find something as good for the money 

The only other niggle is a very brief loss of power somewhere between 60 - 80 mph. It happens very infrequently and when it does happen it lasts for about a second. I did bring it to a Ford garage who updated the firmware but it never went away. That was about 18 months ago so not sure if another update has come out.

mine does the same on the motorway its the dpf doing a regen it feels like youve pressed  the brake pedal. strange thing is when mine regens on a normal road doing a slower speed you dont get the same split second power loss.

1 hour ago, Typhoonf2 said:

The only other niggle is a very brief loss of power somewhere between 60 - 80 mph. It happens very infrequently and when it does happen it lasts for about a second. I did bring it to a Ford garage who updated the firmware but it never went away. That was about 18 months ago so not sure if another update has come out.

mine does the same on the motorway its the dpf doing a regen it feels like youve pressed  the brake pedal. strange thing is when mine regens on a normal road doing a slower speed you dont get the same split second power loss.

Interesting, I never thought of the dpf! Same here as I do motorway driving every day and it only happens on the motorway. I guess there's nothing that can be done to stop it?

14 hours ago, south_bound said:

Preventative action on the DPF/EGR with remap

What does it prevent? Never heard of it before... 

9 hours ago, skyking_comms said:

What does it prevent? Never heard of it before... 

Preventative in that these were removed or blanked and then erased from the car's computer by remapping it so they never becomes a problem.  Many do not recommend doing this any more due to new MOT rules and in any case your DPF might be a newer ceramic one which does not need a fluid top up and so you should have less potential issues. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club