Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Convenience Check at 9000 miles?

Oldbean

Now that a full service is not required until 18,000 miles is anyone considering having a Convenience Check at 9,000?

If Ford have designed an engine that has a long service interval they should be confident that everything will be OK between services.

As a Convenience Check is not compulsory are these "checks" and "top-ups" really for the drivers "peace of mind" or just a way for them to make up for the lost income due to doing less services?

18k/2 yrs is about Ford reducing the fleet costs and "cost of ownership" when comparisons are made in the magazines.

It's the dealers that make money from servicing, not Ford, so no odds to them.

I personally would want at least an oil change to be done every 12 months.

• Thanks 1

It may be the dealer who carries out the work and gets paid for it but it is promoted / endorsed on Ford's main website  https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/service-and-maintenance/service-promotions/convenience-check 

I accept that Ford themselves are not making any money from servicing so why don't they just stand by their recommended 18,000 miles and leave it at that?  Why do Ford then undermine customer confidence by saying that it "might be worthwhile" you paying for an extra check.

Personally, I also think that 18,000 miles is a long way to go between oil changes - hence my question about a 9,000 check. But there again, Ford have set this distance so they should believe it acceptable.

It will be endorsed at request from the dealers, they have a dealer council or whatever they call it, which pushes ford to promote things which also help the dealers in exchange for them continuing to sell the cars.

Got to remember what goes out at press and magazines and reality can be different.

But by stating 2yrs, then they can reduce the apparent servicing costs, or keep fleet customers happy.

As long as it lasts the warranty period, it's not really the manufacturer problem after that.

Not that we would be paying for it but I am pretty sure that we were told that the convenience / health check was all complimentary at EH. Might be wrong but that's the way I heard it.

Some dealers do a 1500 mile or thereabouts convenience check when you buy new, not heard of a free annual one though...

Same as Mondeo, free or nominal charge check at 12 months and then you get the free 12months roadside assistance at the same time. 

I have been quoted £90 for 9,000 miles (9 months) at Trustford

3 hours ago, Oldbean said:

Personally, I also think that 18,000 miles is a long way to go between oil changes - hence my question about a 9,000 check. But there again, Ford have set this distance so they should believe it acceptable.

As I understand it the car monitors the oil and recomments a change when it thinks its needed, so it could be at any mileage/time.

According to the Ford website the Convenience Check only "tops up" the oil - if needed. Hopefully this will mean that the car does not then decide that a complete oil change is needed before the 18,000 mile service.

Depends how it's driven. Lots of short journeys it will ask for an oil change before.

VW Group do a similar thing, but you can choose between variable (up to 2 years)  or fixed interval regimes when you buy your car. The former is really aimed at high mileage business users. Back in my company car days when service intervals were often as low as 6,000 miles I found myself having 4 or 5 services a year, so would have appreciated the longer intervals then!

If I'd got the Fiesta on lease or PCP and was handing it back at the end, I'd probably just have the 18,000 service. As I used my own cash I'll probably supplement the convenience check with an oil/filter change at 12 months, unless I decide to change the car sooner than planned.

yeah, as above.

stretched the service interval / oil change to18k or 2 years but the engine is the same and the engine oil specs are the same. 

so should i leave the oil and filter change on my2013 focus  ecoboost another 6000 miles between changes. 

i think not!!! lol.  mmm, thats got me thinking now,  i cant remember when i did mine last