Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trailer Wiring

myquest

I've just bought a 2009 Fiesta Mk7 1.4 5-dr hatch and need a wiring diagram to hook up the newly-installed towbar.

I am aware that the electrical system is can-bus/multiplex and have the requisite 7-way bypass relay to tap into the various lamp wires. This to be powered from the fused 'Trailer' position in the pax fusebox but without a diagram am not sure if there is a supply wire -or plug/socket already installed from this to the rear of the car. Can't see anything obvious running from the looms.

Can any one help on this and/or have a copy of the relevant wiring diagram? Thanks in advance.

MQ

p.s. Er - Why are 'Daylight running lights' deemed necessary when there are at least 4 lamps installed at the front.....?

:)

I've just bought a 2009 Fiesta Mk7 1.4 5-dr hatch and need a wiring diagram to hook up the newly-installed towbar.

I am aware that the electrical system is can-bus/multiplex and have the requisite 7-way bypass relay to tap into the various lamp wires. This to be powered from the fused 'Trailer' position in the pax fusebox but without a diagram am not sure if there is a supply wire -or plug/socket already installed from this to the rear of the car. Can't see anything obvious running from the looms.

Can any one help on this and/or have a copy of the relevant wiring diagram? Thanks in advance.

MQ

p.s. Er - Why are 'Daylight running lights' deemed necessary when there are at least 4 lamps installed at the front.....?

:) dont no if these are any good

hi mate so run it by me again. What is it your acutally after?? I dont think that the car's wiring is canbus all the way to the lighting unit. I believe its canbus to a point where it enters a canbus conversion box then outto normal wiring.

Slug

Hello Slug

I need to know if there is a dedicated wire from the 'Trailer' fuse socket in the passenger's fuse box, running to the rear of the car.

A wiring diagram might give a clue as to where - if it exists - it's hidden...

However,I'm just popping in to the dealer's - who have relented and promised me a copy of their diagram ; so I may be fixed.

Many thanks for your help. Good to know this Forum is active!

MQ

• 6 years later...

OK I have my eBay bargain genuine Ford Fiesta tow bar (Westfalia) and Trailer Control Module (Ford R1N9A 8A6J14B192AA), - yet despite hours of searching I cannot find the Ford electrical wiring retro fitting booklet (pdf). Yes I have the Wesfalia one, (not identical). I also checked the 'Right Connections' one too, although mine is most similar to the Westfalia loom, not surprising as they are the chosen supplier for factory fit tow bars, my loom varies from that shown in the booklet, so what I need is the actual Ford one. Failing that, if I have to start probing wires, and considering finding my own connection points so my question would be the same as 'myquest' above. Does, what I guess is a positive 12v 20 amp supply wire from passenger fuse box position F23 already exist laid in a factory loom somewhere right down to the the back of my little car just laying waiting in the boot area? Yes I know find a wiring diagram and look for my self. That is exactly what I have spent ages doing. Ford seem to have taken a 'need to know' basis approach. In their workshop manuals I have seen so far tow bar retro fitting is absent with wiring only referenced in terms of 'test positions', ignoring any clue as top the actual physical wiring. How realllly annoying is that!!! To loose all the inbuilt functionality of switching my fog light off, parking sensors defeated and bulb out by having to revert to a simple 'cut in' method. Incidentally I noticed that Right Connection actually use a piggy back wire on to fuse 23 in one kit, what's going on there!! That suggests that no  rear trailer live exists! Ahh but it must exist because Westfalia/Ford do not piggyback!! We are not all morons, just give us a clue Ford. I cannot believe that something so simple has never been done before or that no 'plug and play booklet' exists, totally amazing! I rarely get 'down and dirty' with wiring, prolly just as well because I never would have believed this would have taken so long. Owh and don't suggest 'Dealers' to me. I brought this car new, at the first two services I found wires under the bonnet left disconnected, the first time I was left stranded and called Fords help only to be fobbed off and left to wait for recovery.. At the first MOT they took it away with no faults, (I know I plugged in and checked before they collected it). then returned it with a seat belt warning fault, when I returned it to them they said it naturally developed this fault sometime post MOT for no apparent reason. Yes well my guess would be that is consistent with a rapid braking, activating the sensor wouldn't it?), then had the nerve to charge me £110 to switch it off something which I could have done in 3 minutes myself. So needless to say not having the time or resources to take on a large distributor, I had to pay up! I did however tell them exactly what I thought of them and their 'service'.