Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.6, 02 Ignition Barrel

hartyy

Hello i need to replace the ignition barrel on my car, ive seen a few videos, ive changed one before but that was on an older model vauxhall. 

i only have the 1 key with the old barrel and its not a FOB. is it just a case of taking the old barrel out and new one in ( with new key ofc) 

thanks

the new key will not deactivate the immobiliser.  I do not know how you program the chip in the new key to match your ECU.  I have heard of people doing things  like tape the chip from old key to the lock to get round it. 

yeah i had a feeling it was something like this, ofc id need two keys(one being the original to open the doors) but my plan was to get a new barrel with two keys, then pay for someone to cut a new car to match the other new keys but also program the chip to the car.. so ideally a key fob with unlock doors on ect so itll all be one key

why do you need to replace the barrel.

I had a car (not Focus) where the barrel (the bit that turns with the key) kind of split. This means that I had to fiddle the key about a lot to get it to work. So I dismantled the lock and took out the little sliding bits that determine which key would turn lock. Then put back together. This meant that any key of the same general shape operated the lock but at least it meant I could use it without hassle.  

Of course a thief could steal it much more easily but as it was an old car not worth much and a would be thief would not be aware that my car was easier to steal than any other car of same type, I was happy

51 minutes ago, isetta said:

why do you need to replace the barrel.

I had a car (not Focus) where the barrel (the bit that turns with the key) kind of split. This means that I had to fiddle the key about a lot to get it to work. So I dismantled the lock and took out the little sliding bits that determine which key would turn lock. Then put back together. This meant that any key of the same general shape operated the lock but at least it meant I could use it without hassle.  

Of course a thief could steal it much more easily but as it was an old car not worth much and a would be thief would not be aware that my car was easier to steal than any other car of same type, I was happy

i somewhat understand what you are saying, and it sounds like something that is possible, to replace the barrel is only costing me £15 for the part with two keys. however i have stumbled across a problem in which the key needs to be set to the 1st position so that the barrel can be removed BUT the key wont move atall 😕 it wiggles about, but doesnt want to turn in way

and in essence are you saying i should remove the old ignition barrel, take it apart, take the sliding things out? and just put it all back together again? 

So im going to have to drill the old barrel anyway, as i cannot remove it the the standard way as i cannot get the key to turn to the 1st position. any tips?

"and in essence are you saying i should remove the old ignition barrel, take it apart, take the sliding things out? and just put it all back together again? " Well yes I was kind of saying that if the problem was that you were having to jiggle the key about a lot to get it to work and that annoyance was what was causing you to want to replace it. 

But if you can't turn the key to first position even with a lot of jiggling the key about then you are a bit stuck. I don't have any tips as never had to resort to the drill, 

It's a Tibbe key.  The barrels are very easy to make to your existing key, just buy a kit online for it.  The slides inside are numbered so you just arrange them correctly to keep your existing key code which should be on a card or in the habdbook.  If you don't know the code take the key to a locksmith or disassemble your old barrel to work it out.

I really wouldn't drill it though...there must be an easier way to remove it.  

Btw...I assume you haven't accidentally put the steering lock on lol?

it does not turn at all the key even if i wiggle both key and steering wheel 😕 

so im stuck tbh

what a life. finally start paying off debts and this goes and happens >.> 

thanks for the input so far 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club