Do Not Sell My Personal Information

issue with adaptive headlights

irishfordman

i have noticed an issue with my adaptive headlights the drivers one seems to get stuck in the right hand cornering and doesn't return back with the steering to the center position.I end with one headlight pointing at the ditch. its very annoying. Slowing down or stopping seems to reset the light back to the center but i was wondering if any had this. The left hand light is fine. Anyone ever had this, any  fix as the warranty is just up a mate of mine in the car industry said its about 1200 for a new light.

anyone any ideas?

I had that with the left side headlight on my previous ST twice.
It was a new headlight unit unfortunately.
They aren't just plug'n'play either, they need to be coded to the car (should be possible with Forscan and modified elm cable).

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

13 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

They aren't just plug'n'play either, they need to be coded to the car (should be possible with Forscan and modified elm cable).

balls , how much was the replacement.

Under warranty so not a clue i'm afraid.

You may be lucky and it just needs recoding.
Worth asking a dealership.

How old is the car and how out of warranty?

This is such a common issue I'd be pushing to get it done by Ford anyway.

I had the same and it was replaced under warranty.

Don't forget your 6 yrs consumer rights protection.

• Like 1

Your profile says you have a 2016. You should be able to get that replaced under warranty as you're on year 2 of 3. I've had it done myself also, ironically also the drivers one.

Are you getting messages on the dash? Mine threw up numerous messages about headlight failure.

Make sure they do a vertical realignment as you'll find the beam is set lower or higher than the other headlight. Its not hard to do yourself. Just requires a flat blade.

1 minute ago, alexp999 said:

Fwiw, mine never threw any messages.

Weird. Mine had an absolute fit. Kept trying to reset the light and everything. People kept thinking I was flashing them!

9 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

What kind of ***** designs a lighting unit that requires "Coding" to a car? :withstupid: Other than an ST or ST-Line sitting slightly closer to the ground that a "regular" model I can't think of any other differences between Focus models that might be significant enough that they would impact the performance of the light unit. 

To me it feels like another way of Ford trying to force an owner to pay £90 p/hour at a Fraud dealer for something that really should be THAT complicated (I realise other manufacturers do similar things for the same reason).

The lights are coded in as they need to link to the sensors at each wheel for correct levelling data.
They also need input from other sensors and the steering rack for light pattern and beam angle.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club