Recommended Posts

I use a dash cam all the time the car, and was wondering if you can challenge a speeding ticket with it.

Say hypothetically you went past a mobile van doing 2 or 3mph over the limit  in a 40mph zone, according to the speedo, but the dash cam footage says bang on 40mph, would it be admissible to avoid a ticket?

Im aware most speedos read a tiny bit fast, I usually go past one of those signs that displays your speed and its usually displaying 2/3mph less than my speedo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

At 2-3 mph in a 40you woudnt get a ticket , but in theory yes you could challenge a ticket but you would have to prove the accuracy of the GPS reading, normally accurate on a straight road but on a twisty road they can be a few mph out due tomthem straightling the corners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im guessing you would have to do what the police do which is provide an in-date calibration certificate. That would end up costing more than what the dash cam is worth to start with.

I seem to remeber the police have prosecuted people before though as a dashcammer has submitted evidence showing another car speeding which someone has used speed = distance÷time to calculate their speed. Would obviously be a lengthy process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You wouldn't get a ticket as the mobile would presumably record the same as your satnav.  I suspect challenging a mobile recording would be difficult.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this hypothetical question based on real events, is there a ticket to be challenged? As above, the van is supposed to record your speed accurately so if it says you are 2-3mph over then your dashcam would most likely corroborate it. Most of the time it’s not worth challenging these things, you’re unlikely to change the result and most likely going to cost yourself more in time and fees

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure the speedo isn't highly accurate like mine I'm sure is about 3mph forward then what the actual speed is. I've seen some dash cams which display the speed on the footage but don't know if that's accurate. Could be worth looking at those or seeing if yours has the option to display the speed. This government doesn't help either when you want to appeal something. I got my first ticket a few weeks back for accidently going through a no entry. On the letter it said to go on this website to pay BUT if you want to appeal something you have to write a letter to them which won't extend the period before they increase the fine 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@zain611 the op dashcam does have gps and gives a reading of his speed, he said it reads 2-3mph less than his speedo. 

You will be very lucky to get that ticket overturned if you went through a No Entry. If your defence is anything other than a police officer directed you through then I’d be worried you may get a further charge. For instance if you say you didn’t notice the signage then you’re looking at a charge of ‘due care’ and if you did it purposefully for any reason you could face a ‘dangerous/reckless’ charge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jonro2009 said:

@zain611 the op dashcam does have gps and gives a reading of his speed, he said it reads 2-3mph less than his speedo. 

You will be very lucky to get that ticket overturned if you went through a No Entry. If your defence is anything other than a police officer directed you through then I’d be worried you may get a further charge. For instance if you say you didn’t notice the signage then you’re looking at a charge of ‘due care’ and if you did it purposefully for any reason you could face a ‘dangerous/reckless’ charge.

I paid the ticket when the letter came so all good 🙂. I just don't like it the council makes it easy and quick to go online and pay the fine whereas its a hassle and time consuming to write a letter to them for an appeal.

The situation was I turned into a side road where there was a truck, took my time going through the tight gap. I then turned but there was someone in a car. This person didn't help to move to the side so just reversed whilst they were moving close to the front of the car. In a split second decision it didn't look like I had space to turn so I could go out the way I came plus the guy in the car just stopped at the end of the road so thought on going through the no entry and doing a U turn close by. Didn't think of getting a ticket etc at the time. In the picture it looked like I could have turned and went out. 

Screenshot_20180725-114351.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2018 at 7:45 PM, zain611 said:

I paid the ticket when the letter came so all good 🙂. I just don't like it the council makes it easy and quick to go online and pay the fine whereas its a hassle and time consuming to write a letter to them for an appeal.

The situation was I turned into a side road where there was a truck, took my time going through the tight gap. I then turned but there was someone in a car. This person didn't help to move to the side so just reversed whilst they were moving close to the front of the car. In a split second decision it didn't look like I had space to turn so I could go out the way I came plus the guy in the car just stopped at the end of the road so thought on going through the no entry and doing a U turn close by. Didn't think of getting a ticket etc at the time. In the picture it looked like I could have turned and went out. 

Screenshot_20180725-114351.png

Nah you're not getting out of that ticket. Correct thing to do would be to stop with space for that car to go round, or reverse so they can go round. 

 

There should be a 'give way to oncoming traffic' sign there which is a mistake on the councils part but doubt it will get rid of your ticket. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jbell said:

Nah you're not getting out of that ticket. Correct thing to do would be to stop with space for that car to go round, or reverse so they can go round. 

 

There should be a 'give way to oncoming traffic' sign there which is a mistake on the councils part but doubt it will get rid of your ticket. 

The road where that white car is is where I turned into to look for parking. You can also see the truck on the bottom left which made it a little tight to come in the road. The guy in the car didn't move until after 10 seconds where he just reversed back and parked in which got on my nerves. At the time it didn't look like I had space to reverse and go straight out back where the truck was so went through the no entry and made a U turn and came back out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now