Do Not Sell My Personal Information

redex

michaelburrows

i have been trying to put some redex in my fuel tank on my 2013 focus.i manage to push the flap in on tbe filler but it gets stuck and any redex that goes in seems to come out of tbe overflow and ends up on the ground.  whats the secret to putting it in pease

You need a plastic filler funnel available on eBay or from Ford dealer.

• Like 2

Is this stuff worth added anyway? Does it help/work?

Snake oil mate, avoid wasting your readies on it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, michaelburrows said:

i have been trying to put some redex in my fuel tank on my 2013 focus.i manage to push the flap in on tbe filler but it gets stuck and any redex that goes in seems to come out of tbe overflow and ends up on the ground.  whats the secret to putting it in pease

As said there you need a fuel funnel 

Check the glove box and spare tyre well for one before going to ford or eBay

Also Dipetane is better for the engine as redecorating is most abrasive on the market strips oil from seals if used frequently 

15 hours ago, Lenny said:

redecorating

Was that deliberate or just a missed auto-complete? 😀

• Haha 1

Totally irrelevant, but when I started motoring sometime last century, £1 would buy 4 gallons (18 litres) of BP and 4 shots of Redex.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Freddy42 said:

Totally irrelevant, but when I started motoring sometime last century, £1 would buy 4 gallons (18 litres) of BP and 4 shots of Redex.

How much was a weeks wage for context though? 

Just in the decade that I've been driving, fuel prices have risen by 30%... 😮  In the month I passed my test people were moaning about petrol hitting £1 per litre!

As for using Redex in a modern diesel with very delicate injectors, I really wouldn't risk it.  At best it does nothing.  At worst it shifts the rubbish through your fuel system...that then gets permanently stuck in the injector strainers and you have to have the injectors removed and cleaned.

32 minutes ago, Freddy42 said:

I used to do the same, but got change from £1. 😄

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

How much was a weeks wage for context though? 

I was on about £10 a week at the time.

58 minutes ago, Freddy42 said:

I was on about £10 a week at the time.

Crikey, seems mad compared to today!  :laugh:

Makes me wonder what costs and wages will be like in 50 years time...

• Like 1

i remember working on a sat at village petrol staion and squirting the redex in the tank , and shots of 2 stroke for the 2 stroke  motorbikes. 

• Like 1

Some time ago I had a 1.9 diesel Laguna. Ran as rough as a badgers botty so bought some redex for it. Misread the instructions and put a whole bottle into (much less than) half a tank, instead of the other way around. I then proceeded to f@rt my way off the forecourt in impressive clouds of black smoke!

Ran ok after that though, til the cambelt went 3k later...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, mjt said:

Was that deliberate or just a missed auto-complete? 😀

Auto correct changed redex to redecorating 😅😟😳

• Haha 1

On 8/10/2018 at 8:51 PM, michaelburrows said:

I bought a bottle of this today to try it out, and didn't really fancy spending £100 on the terraclean as recommended by the Ford garage I bought it from. 

My Focus is 9 years old with 66k miles so thought it would be a good time to see if there was any improvement. 

What a nightmare to get the stuff in. Using a green spare can tube, I had the same problem. ...out the overflow onto the ground. Anyway I ended up cutting a length of hose off my hosepipe and getting it down enough to bypass the overflow. There is a sound of air release when you have pushed it in far enough. 

Anyway, early days but the car seems a little smoother at idle and through acceleration. It seems more eager to rev, and the flat spots are not so obvious now. Also the engine seems a little quieter when standing by the car with it running. 

Maybe it's placebo, maybe it actually does improve the running of the car. MPG is yet to  be checked.......

10 hours ago, pistolpete1 said:

I bought a bottle of this today to try it out, and didn't really fancy spending £100 on the terraclean as recommended by the Ford garage I bought it from. 

My Focus is 9 years old with 66k miles so thought it would be a good time to see if there was any improvement. 

What a nightmare to get the stuff in. Using a green spare can tube, I had the same problem. ...out the overflow onto the ground. Anyway I ended up cutting a length of hose off my hosepipe and getting it down enough to bypass the overflow. There is a sound of air release when you have pushed it in far enough. 

Anyway, early days but the car seems a little smoother at idle and through acceleration. It seems more eager to rev, and the flat spots are not so obvious now. Also the engine seems a little quieter when standing by the car with it running. 

Maybe it's placebo, maybe it actually does improve the running of the car. MPG is yet to  be checked.......

Wait...a hosepipe is the same size as a petrol nozzle?  That kind of makes the security part of the Easy Fuel useless if that's the case!  You shouldn't be able to get a hose in there to steal fuel...

Did you check under the spare wheel for the easy fuel funnel?

It seems so....went in easier than the spare can nozzle 😂😂

Didn't check under the spare wheel for a funnel. Will check later though.

• Haha 1

when i tried putting a smaller hose into filler the nozzle flap lockedd onto it and i coudnt get hose back out. had to fi d a piece of wood of approx same dimension as a fuel nozzel and ease it nxt to pipe and then pull it out. . luckily it dint break off in tbe tank

13 hours ago, michaelburrows said:

when i tried putting a smaller hose into filler the nozzle flap lockedd onto it and i coudnt get hose back out. had to fi d a piece of wood of approx same dimension as a fuel nozzel and ease it nxt to pipe and then pull it out. . luckily it dint break off in tbe tank

Guess my hose is a bit bigger than yours 😉😉  😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

If the car has been run on cheaper fuels for a few years then its inevitable that carbon deposits are going the build up in the fuel system.

in this case a dose of injector cleaner will certainly help the engine run a bit more smoother & efficient - it certainly wont do any harm to try and it doesnt cost much - just be realistic about the modest improvments you can expect.

i will say though that redex is quite a weak detergent , there are much more powerful & effective products available , i have used wynns gold formula a couple of times ( around  £15 a bottle ) and have been very satisfied with the results :-)

My experiences are for use with petrol engines ,  i couldnt comment on their effectiveness or potential problems when used with diesels

• Like 1

if you think how the fuel pump nozzle gets to move the anti tamper flap in the filling neck of your tank, you realise there must be some sort of mechanism to release it.  On BMWs its clearly visible you just press the release "button" with a long screwdriver and poke the hose in, not studied a ford but I doubt its rocket science

as for putting this rubbish in the tank how's that going to work ?  the issue is crap in the inlet manifold and around the values and its port. 

….because in the modern world all that goes in is dust, oil mist from the breather system and lots of hot air

Ryw4mBR.jpg?1

3 minutes ago, Botus said:

as for putting this rubbish in the tank how's that going to work ?  the issue is crap in the inlet manifold and around the values and its port. 

….because in the modern world all that goes in is dust, oil mist from the breather system and lots of hot air

well injector / fuel system cleaner isnt going to remove gunk from an inlet manifold , thats not what its designed for so i dont see your point ?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, biff55 said:

If the car has been run on cheaper fuels for a few years then its inevitable that carbon deposits are going the build up in the fuel system.

in this case a dose of injector cleaner will certainly help the engine run a bit more smoother & efficient - it certainly wont do any harm to try and it doesnt cost much - just be realistic about the modest improvments you can expect.

i will say though that redex is quite a weak detergent , there are much more powerful & effective products available , i have used wynns gold formula a couple of times ( around  £15 a bottle ) and have been very satisfied with the results 🙂

My experiences are for use with petrol engines ,  i couldnt comment on their effectiveness or potential problems when used with diesels

That stuff in a diesel is like rocket fuel, id happily endorse it, cant comment on its cleaning properties but still...

I tend to use BG products, BG EPR seems to do well, 

24 minutes ago, Botus said:

if you think how the fuel pump nozzle gets to move the anti tamper flap in the filling neck of your tank, you realise there must be some sort of mechanism to release it.  On BMWs its clearly visible you just press the release "button" with a long screwdriver and poke the hose in, not studied a ford but I doubt its rocket science

different problems require different solutions, especially on diesels. cleaning out that crap from the EGR can be helped with water vapour but if its bad then your looking at removing it, baked on carbon isnt going anywhere without sonics or a brush, fuel injectors and pumps on the other hand can be cleaned and lubed up with additives.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, biff55 said:

well injector / fuel system cleaner isnt going to remove gunk from an inlet manifold , thats not what its designed for so i dont see your point ?

my point is, the big issues on modern cars is built up in the manifold and ports (not an injector that's perfectly happy with life), which is why teraclean works

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club