Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 3 Rear badge

antward91

Sure most of us have seen how a lot of rear badges seem to corrode and fade.

Does anyone know how to remove and replace them on a mk 3?

They're held on with adhesive foam pads.
Saw through the foam with dental floss and remove the foam remnants with a light solvent like white spirits.
If the badge has been in place for a while you may see some shadowing in the paint.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

Use a hairdryer on the badge on a high setting to heat the adhesive pads first, that will really help. Some people suggest using trim pullers or credit cards with material round them to protect the paint but I wouldn’t recommend that. As Clive says use some dental floss or fishing wire and run it behind the badge. I favour fishing wire and IPA to tidy up any remaining adhesive

The rear Ford badge of the Focus MK3/MK3.5 is basically a preformed/pressed alluminium part. This is actually a really low quality part. The older 2-piece or even 3-piece focus MK1/MK1.5 and Focus MK2/MK2.5 Ford badges were much better quality.

Part of the MK3/MK3.5 aluminium badge is painted (blue) and the rest is polished (to look like chrome). Afterwards the badges are coated with a clearcoat/laquer. The clearcoat/laquer cracks which causes the aluminium to corrode. These badges usually last about 2 Years before they start fading/corroding.

Because these badges are preformed/pressed (not flat at the back) and mounted in a recess of the boot lid it is very difficult to remove the badge using fishing wire or dental floss. Heating the badge is basically the only way to make removal a bit easier.

51 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

The rear Ford badge of the Focus MK3/MK3.5 is basically a preformed/pressed alluminium part. This is actually a really low quality part. The older 2-piece or even 3-piece focus MK1/MK1.5 and Focus MK2/MK2.5 Ford badges were much better quality.

Part of the MK3/MK3.5 aluminium badge is painted (blue) and the rest is polished (to look like chrome). Afterwards the badges are coated with a clearcoat/laquer. The clearcoat/laquer cracks which causes the aluminium to corrode. These badges usually last about 2 Years before they start fading/corroding.

Because these badges are preformed/pressed (not flat at the back) and mounted in a recess of the boot lid it is very difficult to remove the badge using fishing wire or dental floss. Heating the badge is basically the only way to make removal a bit easier.

Does sound like a lot of hassle to be fair.

The garage I'm collecting the car from has said once the badges are back in stock they will supply and fit it me for free, apparently they are on back order,

But I won't hold my breathe for that one, although it is a main dealership.

I had assumed the OP was talking about the wording rather than the oval, oops. Ignore what I had suggested, as @JW1982 has very knowledgeably said the oval is a little more difficult to remove

• 1 year later...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club