Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car insurance renewal - extras

lloydyyy

My car insurance is due in the next few weeks and I'd be grateful for some advice. Is it worth having protected NCD and legal cover? I used my legal cover for a non-fault claim a few years ago for personal injury and to fight the third party in proving the incident wasn't my fault (even though I was hit from behind). I suppose it's one of those things that you don't realise the importance of until you need it. I've always protected my NCD just in case I have an incident where I'm at fault or I need to claim on my own policy because the third party won't play ball. I've always opted for legal cover and protected NCD just in case but I'm thinking of dropping these extras.

Hi there,

Thanks for the enquiry and all of our policies provide  legal expenses cover as standard.  It's certainly worth having if you are involved in an incident where the third-party don't admit liability or the case isn't clear cut. 

With regard to protecting your No Claims Bonus - again it's probably worth it as your bonus will be 'stepped back' or reduced in the event of a fault accident.  Unfortunately, those claims settled 50-50 will count against you as will being hit by uninsured drivers or hit and run style incidents - basically where the insurer cannot recover their outlay.

Feel free to return to me to discuss any matters.

Regards,

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply. I'll give Adrian Flux a call to see what prices I can get. Although last year the cheapest price was from Markerstudy, who I wasn't entirely fussed on due to negative reviews.

I was involved in a non-fault incident a few years ago where I was hit from behind whilst stationary. The driver admitted fault at the scene didn't provide me with her policy details to claim from, despite police presence. I managed to get her name as well as her car's registration to pass to my insurer as I didn't expect her to contact her insurer who would in turn contact me. Instead I had to claim on my policy where she later claimed the impact was 'low velocity' which certainly wasn't the case. My legal cover was activated and the legal team managed the claim.

Where would I stand in a similar situation if I didn't have legal cover? Surely the insurer would pursue the claim with the third party's insurer? Or would legal cover be necessary? I thought legal cover was to recover uninsured losses.

Hi again,

Thanks for the response and by all means give us a try.

With regard to the question posed around your own claim, yes your insurer would pursue the third party for any resultant damage or pay out for repairing your own vehicle.  However, they won't attempt to recover any of your own uninsured losses such as your policy excess, personal effects and personal injury.  The last named being the most critical reason why legal expenses is worthwhile.   Regardless of whether she felt the impact was 'low velocity' - if your insurer had to pay out for any accidental damage to your vehicle it's fairly standard practice they would attempt to recover. 

Yes you are correct that the legal expenses is to recover any uninsured losses.

Thanks

Dan

Adrian Flux's underwriter was £11 cheaper but had much higher excesses and no guaranteed hire car cover. My current insurer, Direct Line, has much lower excesses and guaranteed hire car cover as standard. I think for a trade-off of £11 I'll stay with Direct Line - they were the cheapest before I called Adrian Flux.

I'd say its best to have legal cover and protected NC. My grandad had an accident 2 years ago where he was pulling out a side road where someone gave him way but someone was overtaking the traffic and went into him. He said before that that he doesn't want legal cover and not protect his no claims as he is a good driver and won't have an accident but you see now he had an accident. The silly thing is his insurance paid out some money to the other party for some reason making the case a 50 /50 fault when really it wasn't his fault. He has lost all his years no claims. He did use a solicitor but they were just going in circles with him which to me makes me think to have legal cover. 

I always use legal cover in case anything happens. At the moment I can't protect my NC I think until I'm 21.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club