Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.0 Ecoboost Bluefin vs 1.5 Ecoboost

Pebbleheed

I’ve been using a 1.5 ecoboost at work and I own a 1.0 ecoboost. 

I appreciate the different between the 1.0 and 1.5 litre engine size and I’m not expecting miracles, but has anyone driven both and experienced a bluefin upgrade to the 1.0 ecoboost engine? Does it get anywhere near the 1.5 performance?

The performance on my 1.0 2012 ecoboost was definitely better than on my 1.0 2015 ecoboost. I’ve driven a couple of the modern 1.0 evoboosts and it’s the same with those so I know mine is running fine. I understand it’s down to changes in emissions on the newer models that reduces the performance and makes it £20 a year to tax rather than £30 that the 2012 model costs. 

So does bluefin make much difference? Or would it just make it like a 2012 ecoboost?

I’m tempted now by bluefin but I want to make sure it’s worth it. If it gets me closer to the 1.5 performance I’d buy it tomorrow. 

What power level is your new one?  125ps is £30 tax, 100ps is £20 tax.  I didn't think the 125ps tax dropped on the facelift?

I'd also be interested in the Bluefin if I get a 100ps version though, looking at both power levels myself.

Mine if the 125ps.

My 2012 model was 125 and cost £30 per year for tax. The new one is a 2015 model and is £20 a year for tax.

My new one has the 6 speed gear box and Etis shows it as a 125, not a 100.

I was previously told - I think on here - that the new emissions regulations meant the 2015 model was slightly slower. It's certainly got less kick than the previous model that cost me £30 a year to tax. Not massively, but certainly noticeable and as I said I've driven more than one of my current car's model so I know it's not an issue with mine.

according to dvla it still should be £30. strange.

edit, just checked auto trader and yes, 125hp was £20 on later ones and performance was supposed to be slightly better 0-60 though. 

and my bluefin 100 will without any doubt whip the 1.5 150hp ecoboost into submission. 

• Like 1

Really? The 100?

I hammer the 1.5 and it’s a fun car to drive. Not massively fast but for what we need it works. 

Do you reckon the 100 would beat it with a blue fin? If so then it’s as good as bought for my 125! 

it out runs the old fiesta st with the 2,0 duratec engine from 0 - ilegal speeds

• Haha 1

I wonder if the same would be for my focus?

I’ve read mixed reviews. Some suggest the gains are subtle. 

8 hours ago, Pebbleheed said:

I wonder if the same would be for my focus?

I’ve read mixed reviews. Some suggest the gains are subtle. 

The Focus is a much bigger/heavier car than the Fiesta so the "gains" are almost certainly going to be a bit less dramatic as the engine has to lump more lard around.

Yeah I dry my other half’s ecoboost Fiesta. It has less horse power but is quicker than my focus. 

I’m just trying to make sure it’s a worthwhile spend on the focus. 

Looking at the bluefin page it suggests a higher torque value for the 2015 model over the earlier one. 

I’m also in two minds whether to go for a garage personalised map over the generic bluefin. 

I stand corrected on the tax then, £10 saving per year, bonus! :biggrin: 

It was probably me that told you about the emissions regs lol, they got tighter (Euro 6) between your two cars.  It won't affect top end power, but will affect the power curve to keep emissions lower at key rpms so they feel different to drive.

On the subject of Bluefin, how does it work if you buy a used reset one?  Do you then have to pay for the map or is that part free once you've bought the handheld?  I've mapped loads of cars the old way with a laptop and Galletto or MPPS but Bluefin is all new to me lol!

Yeah the top speed is the same. But there’s certainly a slight dip in acceleration. 

If you buy a used bluefin you have to pay them to reset it. It’s a few hundred £s to do that so second hand handsets aren’t worth it unless they’re very cheap - under £100. Anything more I’d just buy new. 

9 minutes ago, Pebbleheed said:

If you buy a used bluefin you have to pay them to reset it. It’s a few hundred £s to do that so second hand handsets aren’t worth it unless they’re very cheap - under £100. Anything more I’d just buy new. 

The one I'd seen had already been reset by the seller though, was up for £160 iirc.  So that looked reasonable as long as I wouldn't have to pay an extra on top?

I’d check to make sure it’s been cleared and is ready for a new car with the manufacturer. That’s a good price if it has. If not, avoid. 

I’ve just had a quote for a stage one map for £295 by my local mapping centre. It’s cheaper than a blue fin.

Advantage - it’s custom to my car rather than generic. 

Disadvantage - not as easy to remove like the blue fin and I’ll have to pay for this service if required. 

I’m still tempted by the custom map to be honest though. The main reason isn’t the price but the custom part and the fact they’ve been at this a long time and have a decent reputation. 

It's sold now, just asking for future reference. :smile:  They pop up on eBay quite often though, I wouldn't pay full price for one.

Will the custom mapper re-do the map if you have to have any PCM updates done?  I wonder if any of the old mapping cables can be used with the EcoBoost ECU?  If so, you could save your original map file to a laptop and then reapply it when you come to sell.

Bluefin (Superchips) have also been at this a long time and have a decent reputation.  There is always the chance of error with custom maps, with the Bluefin it's already been tried and tested.

Good point. 

I suppose the other benefit of blue fin is the removal option if I need warranty work done. 

I too have been considering a bluefin map for my focus. It's a 1.0 ecoboost 125. Some info I've seen elsewhere suggests the bluefin maps don't like aftermarket air filters?! I have a K&N on mine and Love the way the engine responds and breathes better.

has any one else heard if this is the case? Also does anyone know of a reputable bluefin dealer in South yorkshire? If not I'm gonna go visit my old go too guys at demon tweeks

I’ve orderes my Bluefin. 

£270 - new. 

Really looking forward to it turning up now and seeing how good it is. 

• Like 1

I have bluefin and a k&n on my 1.5 tdci. No issues.

I too have been considering a bluefin map for my focus. It's a 1.0 ecoboost 125. Some info I've seen elsewhere suggests the bluefin maps don't like aftermarket air filters?! I have a K&N on mine and Love the way the engine responds and breathes better.
has any one else heard if this is the case? Also does anyone know of a reputable bluefin dealer in South yorkshire? If not I'm gonna go visit my old go too guys at demon tweeks

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

On 8/17/2018 at 7:16 PM, EcoboostMatt said:

There are places that do a K&N and blue filter bundle so I’m guessing it works perfectly fine. 

Bluefin arrived today in the post. 

Installation took 15 minutes and the majority of that was plugging it in to a pc after the car and back again (Macs not supported). 

WOW!!! What a difference. 

Yep, this is quicker than the standard 1.5 ecoboost right now 😂

Feels like someone just slipped my little 1.0 ecoboost with a load of steroids. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pebbleheed said:

Bluefin arrived today in the post. 

Installation took 15 minutes and the majority of that was plugging it in to a pc after the car and back again (Macs not supported). 

WOW!!! What a difference. 

Yep, this is quicker than the standard 1.5 ecoboost right now 😂

Feels like someone just slipped my little 1.0 ecoboost with a load of steroids. 

Told you so!! Lol

• Like 1

I was cautious after reading an online review that didn’t make it sound too good.

https://www.evo.co.uk/ford/focus/7182/ford-focus-10-ecoboost-superchips-review

The only thing I can say now is that evo.co.uk need to fire their test driver and get someone who knows what they’re talking about. 

They claim it needs back to back drives to feel the difference. Nope. It’s innediately noticeable. The difference is clearly there as soon as it’s done. 

The review put me off bluefin for a while. Now I’ve taken the chance I’ve seen the review was wrong. 

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 8/25/2018 at 5:02 PM, Pebbleheed said:

I was cautious after reading an online review that didn’t make it sound too good.

https://www.evo.co.uk/ford/focus/7182/ford-focus-10-ecoboost-superchips-review

The only thing I can say now is that evo.co.uk need to fire their test driver and get someone who knows what they’re talking about. 

They claim it needs back to back drives to feel the difference. Nope. It’s innediately noticeable. The difference is clearly there as soon as it’s done. 

The review put me off bluefin for a while. Now I’ve taken the chance I’ve seen the review was wrong. 

Hi Pebble, 

just bought brand new Ford Focus 1.0 Ecoboost with 100hp.

I've been excited about chiptuning the car, so I can get 145hp and 240nm of torque from the engine.

But I am afraid on how the 70Nm higher engine torque would impact the stock flywheel, clutch pressure plate and clutch disk, as I intend to drive this family car for the next 8 years or so.
I need the Nm punch when I want to overtake a car on highway or avoid collision while driving in the city, so rarely I would rev the engine.

Can you say something about my concern from your knowledge and experience so far ?

Thank You.

I suspect it will make a slight difference but I can’t see it being huge. You’re not putting a bigger engine in it. And while there’s more power, it’s not massively different to what the system was designed to cope with. 

I’d suspect you’d be fine. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Pebbleheed said:

I suspect it will make a slight difference but I can’t see it being huge. You’re not putting a bigger engine in it. And while there’s more power, it’s not massively different to what the system was designed to cope with. 

I’d suspect you’d be fine. 

Thank You Pubble for your thoughts and opinion.

Here is a information about the Nm specs for the gearbox of my Focus. 

So, 210Nm in 4th, 5th and 6th gear, but 170Nm in 1st gear, 180Nm in 2nd and 200Nm in 3rd gear.  

Tiberie

New Doc 2020-01-22 20.18.20_1.jpg

New Doc 2020-01-22 20.18.20_2.jpg