Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Labour & parts for repairs

Spire2003

I recently bought a Focus 1.6tdci (2007). The dealer had the car mot tested & it failed on a rear coil spring. There was also EML light on for low fuel additive. I also asked for a service to be done & timing belt kit & waterpump.

My questions are 1. How much labour time should there have been to change the rear coil spring, top up the fuel additive tank & reset ECU, change timing belt kit & tensioner and lastly service the car ? Total number of hours / minutes will do.

2.What parts would be needed to do the service ? I asked for a service so i dont know what level of service i should have got but for arguments sake lets call it basic.

I am asking as i have issues with the car that the dealer has attempted to repair but after a second breakdown with the same issue i have rejected the car. I have had the car 27 days at the time of the second rejection. The dealer wants me to take it back for him to try & repair again, but i have said no.

Thanks

7 hours ago, Spire2003 said:

I recently bought a Focus 1.6tdci (2007). The dealer had the car mot tested & it failed on a rear coil spring. There was also EML light on for low fuel additive. I also asked for a service to be done & timing belt kit & waterpump.

My questions are 1. How much labour time should there have been to change the rear coil spring, top up the fuel additive tank & reset ECU, change timing belt kit & tensioner and lastly service the car ? Total number of hours / minutes will do.

2.What parts would be needed to do the service ? I asked for a service so i dont know what level of service i should have got but for arguments sake lets call it basic.

I am asking as i have issues with the car that the dealer has attempted to repair but after a second breakdown with the same issue i have rejected the car. I have had the car 27 days at the time of the second rejection. The dealer wants me to take it back for him to try & repair again, but i have said no.

Thanks

Hi Mick, assuming it's an independent garage and not a main dealer;  Timing Belt and waterpump should be around the £300 mark.  Don't quote me on the coil spring but would guess it's about an hour's labour (£50 + part), then I'm pretty sure it will need tracking done afterwards so maybe another £40 on top.  So, £300 Timing belt, £150 coil spring + tracking and £150 for service.  The eml light reset & topping up any additives won't take long.  Total between £600-£700 would be about right I would think.

As a basic service, i would expect them to replace the oil and oil filter, air filter, fuel filter and pollen filter and make some basic checks on the car.  

18 hours ago, Spire2003 said:

I have had the car 27 days at the time of the second rejection. The dealer wants me to take it back for him to try & repair again, but i have said no.

with that many things wrong/need doing with the car you just got i would give them the car back, get a refund and go else where

• Like 1

depends on the garage

nasty 60 an hour (untrained animal)

competent 70 plus VAT an hour (old git, might be brilliant)

main dealer 180 plus VAT an hour (young keen, no skills, but has the best diagnostic kit and support)

basic service 1.5 hours

cam belt done correctly 5hrs

servicing you get in to parts prices

oil (total rip off thing, wrong side of £60)

filters (oil 10 and air 15 or 20 and 45 depending on who's ripping you off

cam belt is a kit for £100, plus two drives bets 35 and a water pump 180 and antifreeze 25 change which (on modern cars should always be done at the same time !!! ) and on a focus as its such a ***** to get at, do the thermostat whilst its all apart !!!!   which can be 110 on it own for the heated version

1 hour ago, Botus said:

depends on the garage

nasty 60 an hour (untrained animal)

competent 70 plus VAT an hour (old git, might be brilliant)

main dealer 180 plus VAT an hour (young keen, no skills, but has the best diagnostic kit and support)

basic service 1.5 hours

cam belt done correctly 5hrs

servicing you get in to parts prices

oil (total rip off thing, wrong side of £60)

filters (oil 10 and air 15 or 20 and 45 depending on who's ripping you off

cam belt is a kit for £100, plus two drives bets 35 and a water pump 180 and antifreeze 25 change which (on modern cars should always be done at the same time !!! ) and on a focus as its such a ***** to get at, do the thermostat whilst its all apart !!!!   which can be 110 on it own for the heated version

Where are you getting those labour figures?  I'm charged £48 per hour at an independent and last I heard  labour at a main dealer was £90 ish per hour.  Cambelt for a competent mechanic should only take 3 hours at the most I would have thought.  The 1.6tdci only has 1 drive belt in addition to the cambelt.

Our local main dealer is £110 +vat an hour. 

As for times, cambelt on a 1.6tdci is 1.5hrs, add a water pump another 0.2

Rear coil spring 0.6hr

service around 1.5hrs

Additive top up and reset 0.5hrs I'm guessing as I can't see a time for that

Just 90 mins for the DV6 cambelt change?  I know it's easy compared to most but that really is quick lol!!

51 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Just 90 mins for the DV6 cambelt change?  I know it's easy compared to most but that really is quick lol!!

That's the official ford labour time. But autodata it says 1.9hrs

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Albert27 said:

Where are you getting those labour figures?  I'm charged £48 per hour at an independent and last I heard  labour at a main dealer was £90 ish per hour.  Cambelt for a competent mechanic should only take 3 hours at the most I would have thought.  The 1.6tdci only has 1 drive belt in addition to the cambelt.

I'm not quoting silly London figures, 20 miles further left.... main Vauxhall dealers near me we charging 135 plus VAT 15 years ago, last time there 10 years ago they were at 180

.... its 235 an hour plus VAT on Merc and BM, and the Merc one charges 55 a hour to wait and have a coffee NOW !!!!

if you can swap a cam belt driven water pump and fill it correctly for only 0.2 hours more than the time to do a belt that sounds like fantasy land

53 minutes ago, Botus said:

if you can swap a cam belt driven water pump and fill it correctly for only 0.2 hours more than the time to do a belt that sounds like fantasy land

You'd be surprised! 0.2hrs is fantasy land when i was doing it DIY the first time, probably took me an hour lol.  But it's only 7 or 8 bolts, clean the old gasket off where it sits and put the new one back in.

5 hours ago, iantt said:

Our local main dealer is £110 +vat an hour. 

A nice reminder to never take it back to a ford dealership for any repairs 😄

• Haha 1

Our local vauxhall dealer charges £95 +vat. Well it was in 2016 when I worked there. 

I can do a timing belt, water pump and refill coolant in the time allowed . Coolant fill is easier with a vacuum filler, no airlocks and quick. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club