Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sat nav updates

antward91

Just purchased a 2014 zetec S w8th sat nav, but noticed my street isn't even on the maps. Is there anyway to get it updated without going to ford?

Buy a newer sd card. Latest is v8.some sellers on eBay but be aware some are clones and don't work. 

From ford the card is around £80 iish.

3 hours ago, iantt said:

Buy a newer sd card. Latest is v8.some sellers on eBay but be aware some are clones and don't work. 

From ford the card is around £80 iish.

Is that the only way then by buying a new card? Will that work for standard ford sync which I think mine is?

1 hour ago, iantt said:

Jesus what a rip off that is. I thought it would just be a case of downloading an update via pc and updating the ad card I already have 

Try e bay.

Jesus what a rip off that is. I thought it would just be a case of downloading an update via pc and updating the ad card I already have 

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, antward91 said:

Welcome to the world of Ford.

Ford never gives away something for free. If you want new maps you have to buy a new SD-card. Fortunately most of the SD-cards are nowadays a lot cheaper than a few Years ago (a few Years ago the retail price of the SD-cards was €269,-). 

A Focus MK3 has the Ford MFD Satnav system. This is a Ford system thas is developed by Ford in cojunction with Bosch/Blaupunkt. 

The Ford MFD Satnav system uses TeleAtlas maps. TeleAtlas is currently owned by tomtom. The Satnav functionality of the MFD system is developed by Bosch/Blaupunkt. The original SD- cards for the MFD system can be bought From a Ford, tomtom or Bosch dealer. However the prices between these vendors may vary quite a lot. The SD-cards from Ford are usually the cheapest.

The SD cards for the Ford MFD Satnav system can be identified by the number on the label of the SD-card:

V1 = 2011
V2 = 2012
V3 = 2013
V4 = 2014 (V4 contained an error and is replaced by V4.1)
V5 = 2015
V6 = 2016
V7 = 2017
V8 = 2018

The V8 SD-card is the latest and is released in April 2018.

The files on the SD-cards can easily be found on the internet but making a functional copy is pretty difficult because of the copy protection. Being developed in cojunction with Bosch/Blaupunkt the Ford MFD Satnav system uses the (very good) Bosch/Blaupunkt copy protection. This copy protection is based on the unique CID number of the SD-card. The CID number of the SD-card is encrypted into the files on the SD-card. This type of encryption has never been cracked so if you want to make a copy of an original SD-card it needs to be a full clone with an identical CID number. This requires an SD-card with a changeable CID number (very hard to find). 

Several Chinese SD-card manufacturers offer (large quantity batches of) SD-cards with a custom (user defined) CID number. These SD-cards can even be supplied with a custom (user defined) label. Many of the cheap SD-cards that are offered on eBay for the Ford MFD Satnav system are no original SD-cards but these cheap Chinese clones. The quality of these clones fully depends on the quality of the SD-card. Unfortunately many of these clones are based on very cheap SD-card (less than 2 Pounds a piece when bought in large quantity batches).  

A few Years ago Samsung produced several batches of SD-cards that had a security fault. The security of these SD-cards have a backdoor which makes it possible to change the CID number of the SD-card. By using this backdoor it is perfectly possible to make a 100% fully functional clone of an original Ford MFD SD-card. This is the only way to make a very high quality clone of the original Ford MFD SD-card.

Unfortunaltely Samsung fixed the security fault after they discovered the fault. These days it is pretty hard to find a suitible Samsung SD-card that has the ability to change the CID number. The Samsung EVO+ SD-cards (not the newer EVOplus ones) have the highest success rate. 

I was lucky enough to find a few of these Samsung EVO+ SD-cards at a local store 2 Years ago. With these cards I am able to make 100% clones of the original Ford MFD SD-card (only for my own personal use of course).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JW1982 said:

Welcome to the world of Ford.

Ford never gives away something for free. If you want new maps you have to buy a new SD-card. Fortunately most of the SD-cards are nowadays a lot cheaper than a few Years ago (a few Years ago the retail price of the SD-cards was €269,-). 

A Focus MK3 has the Ford MFD Satnav system. This is a Ford system thas is developed by Ford in cojunction with Bosch/Blaupunkt. 

The Ford MFD Satnav system uses TeleAtlas maps. TeleAtlas is currently owned by TomTom. The Satnav functionality of the MFD system is developed by Bosch/Blaupunkt. The original SD- cards for the MFD system can be bought From a Ford, TomTom or Bosch dealer. However the prices between these vendors may vary quite a lot. The SD-cards from Ford are usually the cheapest.

The SD cards for the Ford MFD Satnav system can be identified by the number on the label of the SD-card:

V1 = 2011
V2 = 2012
V3 = 2013
V4 = 2014 (V4 contained an error and is replaced by V4.1)
V5 = 2015
V6 = 2016
V7 = 2017
V8 = 2018

The V8 SD-card is the latest and is released in April 2018.

The files on the SD-cards can easily be found on the internet but making a functional copy is pretty difficult because of the copy protection. Being developed in cojunction with Bosch/Blaupunkt the Ford MFD Satnav system uses the (very good) Bosch/Blaupunkt copy protection. This copy protection is based on the unique CID number of the SD-card. The CID number of the SD-card is encrypted into the files on the SD-card. This type of encryption has never been cracked so if you want to make a copy of an original SD-card it needs to be a full clone with an identical CID number. This requires an SD-card with a changeable CID number (very hard to find). 

Several Chinese SD-card manufacturers offer (large quantity batches of) SD-cards with a custom (user defined) CID number. These SD-cards can even be supplied with a custom (user defined) label. Many of the cheap SD-cards that are offered on Ebay for the Ford MFD Satnav system are no original SD-cards but these cheap Chinese clones. The quality of these clones fully depends on the quality of the SD-card. Unfortunately many of these clones are based on very cheap SD-card (less than 2 Pounds a piece when bought in large quantity batches).  

A few Years ago Samsung produced several batches of SD-cards that had a security fault. The security of these SD-cards have a backdoor which makes it possible to change the CID number of the SD-card. By using this backdoor it is perfectly possible to make a 100% fully functional clone of an original Ford MFD SD-card. This is the only way to make a very high quality clone of the original Ford MFD SD-card.

Unfortunaltely Samsung fixed the security fault after they discovered the fault. These days it is pretty hard to find a suitible Samsung SD-card that has the ability to change the CID number. The Samsung EVO+ SD-cards (not the newer EVOplus ones) have the highest success rate. 

I was lucky enough to find a few of these Samsung EVO+ SD-cards at a local store 2 Years ago. With these cards I am able to make 100% clones of the original Ford MFD SD-card (only for my own personal use of course).

Thanks for the info mate. So just to confirm, if I buy say a V6 or V7 it will defiantly work?

Also were do I insert the sd card 

Yep, 6 and 7 will work but with outdated map data. All depends how new you think you need?  Map data is obviously 12 months older than the release year I'm guessing. So a V6 will have up to 2015 roads. 

I’ve just updated to F7 from F6. It cost me £20 and it works perfectly. 

The cheaper cards on eBay may not be genuine but if they don’t work when they arrived you have the eBay guarantee for a full refund. 

• Like 1

JE1982 - things have changed re the Ford SD cards. They’re actually very easy to copy or make your own now. Not that I would do so.

I suspected the one I bought was a clone so I researched it. It’s looks like a 5 minutes job to do. 

All you need is android, Linux or windows with a certain partition manager and you have several options. 

SYNC 1 /MFD (and also Travelpilot FX / NX and MFA)  SD-cards can only be copied the way I described before.

SYNC 2 / MFT  SD-cards can easily be copied. 

SYNC 3 can currently only be updated by a Ford dealer. The update process requires at least software version 3.0 and takes several hours. However the latest available map version (F7) is actually also quite old (2016 map data). In the near future the SYNC 3 map updates will also be available as a download from the Ford websites.

• Like 2

Sync2 cards are indeed easy to copy.
You just need the blank SD cards embedded serial number and an app to create a licence code that sync2 will accept.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I put V9 on my sister's MFD a few months back.... it was still on its V4.1 original

mental card slot -  inserting the new one 4 times gently offering it up it inserted on the ***** and didn't work.  Luckily I had watched carefully as I removed it... so forcing it to fit the way it came out it worked correctly !!!   then went through 3 major firmware updating procedures taking 30 mins before getting over itself and just working.  three new roads near me updated in the last 2 years are now there

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 8/28/2019 at 1:44 PM, Ford_RS said:

Purchased latest F8 SD card for my SYNC2 unit from this website and working well

https://www.satnavishop.co.uk/2019-2020-ford-sync2-f8-sat-nav-map-sd-card-navigation-update-847-p.asp

I have a 2015 Focus Tit Nav and when the first service was due in 2016 I was quoted around £250 for an SD card update. I've left it since then but the nav is so out of date now I have reconsidered. I have taken your advice and bought a V10 card from Sat Navi Shop. Hope it's just plug-and-play.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club