Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Titanium

Radders76

Hi New member here. 

I'm looking at getting a Focus Titanium but wondering whether getting one with Sync 3 as opposed to a cheaper model with sync 2 is a deal breaker.

I can get a 66 plate with all the usual refinements like auto wipers, auto lights etc but only sync 2 but well within my budget. 

Would I really be missing out not having sync 3? What would you guys do? 

1 hour ago, Radders76 said:

Hi New member here. 

I'm looking at getting a Focus Titanium but wondering whether getting one with Sync 3 as opposed to a cheaper model with sync 2 is a deal breaker. 

I can get a 66 plate with all the usual refinements like auto wipers, auto lights etc but only sync 2 but well within my budget. 

Would I really be missing out not having sync 3? What would you guys do? 

It really depends on what you need, and if your happy using a mobile direct for things Sync 2 can't do. Sync 2 is pretty sluggish and not that easy to use via the touch screen when your driving due to the slow response and small touch icons.

Having owed both, Sync 3 is much better in terms of usability when on the move, plus I use Apple Carplay for Audible, Spotify and TuneIn, which I couldn't in Sync 2 and its easier using the car controls.     

• Like 1

Thanks for the the reply. I'm thinking now whether to drop down to a zetec and get the sync 3 and miss out on the creature comforts you get with a Titanium or get a Titanium and just deal with having sync 2.

Provided Sync 2 is up to date, it's not actually that slow tbh. It has its days where is doesn't co-operate but on the whole it is usable.

• Like 2

You get so much more spec with a Titanium than a Zetec that I can't see it being worth losing all of that just for the better sync, obviously it's up to you though!

• Like 3

I would prefer a titanium sync2 over zetec sync3 also.

• Like 4

Agree.

I would prefer a titanium sync2 over zetec sync3 also.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

I have a focus titanium with sync 2. I drive a Focus titanium with sync 3 at work a lot. 

I would love sync 3 in my personal car over sync 2 BUT I wouldn’t downgrade to anything less than titanium spec. 

Havibg owned a lower spec car and now owning a titanium I can say confidently that I’d never go lower than titanium or equivalent modern model if buying another ford. 

The titanium feels like a much nicer, better to drive car than the zetec spec. It’s only a few upgrades but for me they make the difference. 

On the subject of sync 2 - it’s actually a decent system. Ok, there’s no car play and I’d love that, but for day to day use I don’t miss it to be honest. And sync 2 is responsive and works fine. 

If it’s a case of a titanium with sync 2 or a lower spec and sync 3 I’d always go titanium. No contest for me. 

• Like 2

Totally agree, sync3 is much better but not a deal breaker when it comes to choosing a higher spec car.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 1

I’ll be honest, apart from car play it doesn’t make a massive difference to me. Sync 2 works better than it often gets credit for. 

• Like 3

Sync 2 is perfectly usable once you get used to it. It's a a bit slow and there is a bit of a learning curve especially with the Sat Nav but it works fine enough. I think it was given unfairly bad press from the instant gratification society we live in now. It's far faster than the Eonon aftermarket radio I had in my last car.

in future its possible to swap sync 2 to 3 so best pick better spec car

• Like 2

I’ve not used the sat nav on Sync 3. Is it much better?

1 hour ago, Pebbleheed said:

Easier to use on the move and more responsive when you need it.  Also live traffic via the Ford app is useful, plus you can use other nav solutions like Waze, Apple Maps or Google.

I use the voice commands a lot to find things like parking, petrol, show traffic, reroute, avoid stuff etc.  If you're in a town or need info quick to make a decision the responsiveness of the tech makes a big difference.

I use Sync 3 much more than I used Sync 2.  

14 hours ago, Pebbleheed said:

think better way its only that you have use waze , google maps etc nothing else ah and yes its a bit faster but this is not mobile phone

For me, day to day, Sync is the thing you use more than anything in the car,  so id rate it as quite important.

Waze beats any of the built in sat Nav, hands down, so I judged it a must. its much better having it on a large screen in car centre, the screen is not affected by polarised glasses, whereas the phone is.

I agree auto lights = must, auto wipers, i think I could still live without (but i do know that they come together due to sensor pack on screen... before i get blasted!).

what other differences are there?

It might be worth trying both out before you buy?

I love the dashboard on titanium. Way better than the zetec spec. I also love climate control, it makes the car comfier.

The chromatic rear view mirror is useful, especially when some idiot behind you had badly adjusted lights. 

Rear electric windows are a bonus too if you have kids. 

Also worth noting that not all zetec cars will come with sync 3. I believe it was an option but not standard as I’ve seen zetec cars without touch screens altogether. 

14 hours ago, Pebbleheed said:

The chromatic rear view mirror is useful, especially when some idiot behind you had badly adjusted lights

I agree. It's just a pity they don't put the same technology into the door mirrors. :rolleyes1:

I suspect they’re more expensive as they need to be weatherproof. 

I’ve seen them on other cars. 

Just an update to this.

Brought a 16 plate Titanium 1L 125 with sync 2 but with sat nav built in. Picking it tomorrow from the Ford dealership. 

1 hour ago, Radders76 said:

Just an update to this.

Brought a 16 plate Titanium 1L 125 with sync 2 but with sat nav built in. Picking it tomorrow from the Ford dealership. 

great choice 🙂

Got the car, love it! A question about sync 2. I put the vin code in to check for updates on the ford site and it come back with up to date. How do I know if the maps is the latest version? 

The maps are stored on an SD card, that can be found under the armrest in the centre console. Just pop it out and the version number will be written on it. The current version is F7, it’s likely you have F5 or F6. Map updates are available on eBay, although it’s quite possible that they’ll be copies; however they work just as good as the genuine cards (and are considerably cheaper too).

You can also check the version number also by going into the system settings in the sync menu.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Hi thanks for that. I've just found the sd card before seeing this reply. It's an F5. So are they worth buying off eBay. They retail for around £40 off eBay

29 minutes ago, Radders76 said:

Hi thanks for that. I've just found the sd card before seeing this reply. It's an F5. So are they worth buying off ebay. They retail for around £40 off ebay. 

Most likely counterfeit but seem to work. Genuine Ford updates are usually around £150-£175 range.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club