Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LED Indicator bulb enquiry

1.Morningstar

Morning to all & thank you for any /all advice.

I've recently purchased a 59 plate 1.6tdci 2.5 model focus, & have replaced the indicator bulbs with Canbus error free bulbs, this has caused hyper flash; can any other member who has 

fitted LED Bulbs tell which ones they used or will the standard non error free ones work.

again thanks for replies

david

I've recently purchased a 59 plate 1.6tdci 2.5 model focus, & have replaced the indicator bulbs with Canbus error free bulbs, this has caused hyper flash; can any other member who has 
fitted LED bulbs tell which ones they used or will the standard non error free ones work.
again thanks for replies

david
Indicator is best left standard . I used silvatec silver look bulb which flashes amber but eliminates egg yoke look.
Yunii

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

To cover the basics, have you checked to make sure all the bulbs are illuminating and that one of them isnt a dud?

Autobeam LED indicators have been widely used without the 'hyperflash' issue. They aren't the cheapest though, certainly more expensive than that well known auction site.

You could try putting in some inline resistors with each bulb but by the time you have done that you are probably best off with Autobeam bulbs.

With that said I agree with @yunii I've always stuck to 'silver's bulbs, the Diadem ones have never let me down yet and get rid of the 'fried egg' look.

• Like 1

To sort this issue get a resistor and wire it in that's all you got to do 2bh the autobeam ones work because they have a higher resistor than normal built in 

5 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

You could try putting in some inline resistors with each bulb

The resistors need to be wired across the bulbs, in a parallel connection, not in line which is a series connection.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 1.Morningstar said:

fitted LED bulbs tell which ones they used or will the standard non error free ones work.

again thanks for replies

david

A friend at work brought a fiesta st last year from a main dealer, she didn't know it had LED Bulbs in the mirror indicators until it went for mot this year and it failed for it.

I'd leave them standard if I were you 

23 minutes ago, antward91 said:

A friend at work brought a fiesta st last year from a main dealer, she didn't know it had led bulbs in the mirror indicators until it went for mot this year and it failed for it.

I'd leave them standard if I were you 

There must have been more to it than that, a pair of correct coloured fully functional LED indicator bulbs aren't grounds for a fail, even in this stricter test.

10 hours ago, Paramanic said:

the autobeam ones work because they have a higher resistor than normal built in

I think you'll find they actually have a lower value resistor built in. The hyperflash is probably being caused by the existing LED Bulbs having resistors with too high a value so they don't draw enough current to avoid the blown bulb detection being triggered.

Frankly I'm with Anthony and Yunii, you might just as well stick with standard filament lamps. It's not as if you want a whiter light and LED lamps that draw enough current to be canbus error-free won't save much energy. With the heat from their built-in resistors they may not even be any more reliable than bog standard bulbs.

An LED will illuminate quicker than a filament bulb and are normally ‘crisper’ and brighter though aren’t they? Not by much at all, but a little. A bulb is only as good as the eyes that are looking at it though

2 hours ago, mjt said:

I think you'll find they actually have a lower value resistor built in. The hyperflash is probably being caused by the existing LED bulbs having resistors with too high a value so they don't draw enough current to avoid the blown bulb detection being triggered.

Frankly I'm with Anthony and Yunii, you might just as well stick with standard filament lamps. It's not as if you want a whiter light and LED lamps that draw enough current to be canbus error-free won't save much energy. With the heat from their built-in resistors they may not even be any more reliable than bog standard bulbs.

For the autobeam ones? higher resistor than a ordinary  ..... canbus error free bulbs but canbus bulbs has a resistor to fake basically being a filament bulb (giving it more load) , but that doesn't work on a indicator as it needs a higher load resistor (as time it takes for a normal filament bulb to turn on its times to go off) as led is instant that's why you get hyper flash.... autobeam ones use a higher load but not same size as the parallel one you get off eBay this is why they work where others fail...... 

so higher than a standard canbus bulb but lower than parallel resistor but they still work........ so if you were meaning lower value.... yes lower than a parallel but more than standard canbus error free 😉 

led does save energy but with resistors to pretend they are filament bulb they loose it from them so personally its really about looks i added my own LED Bulbs with switchbacks, i added resistors to be parallel to work 

here is mines 
https://streamable.com/1vulj

Thank you to all who have responded to my enquiry.

I'll look at the autobeam bulbs but will more likely stay with the diadem ones, as I 've felt the heat emitted from one of those inline resistors and seen the melted wire that the resistor had been touching before.

again thank you to all

david

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club