Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Labour charge for top mount replacement

chumps52

Just paid for 3.5 hours of labour at an independent garage to get both front top mounts/struts replaced (£69/h + VAT).

I'm thinking I've been ripped off, and stupidly didn't contest it at the time, but it has now been done + paid for.

I'm just wondering if this is in fact a fair number of hours charged? And if not, am I now completely out of luck with arguing it?

Assuming it's a fiesta as in your profile, You've been robbed. 

Time for removing/refitting 2 strut assemblies is 1.1hrs

Time for removing strut top/spring is 0.2hrs each.

So 1.5 hrs. 

Can't check autodata labour times at the moment but I'm guessing it will be simular

£300 for everything would be as much as I'd want to pay for for parts+labour. There are cheaper places and as you've found out, more expensive. £150 ish for parts and 2 hours labour I'd say.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, iantt said:

Assuming it's a fiesta as in your profile, You've been robbed. 

Time for removing/refitting 2 strut assemblies is 1.1hrs

Time for removing strut top/spring is 0.2hrs each.

So 1.5 hrs. 

Thought so, and yes it's the Fiesta. Not expecting to get anything back from it, it's my fault for paying, but I'll send a strongly worded email anyway. Would've hoped they had some form of conscience knowing that I'm a student etc. but oh well, my fault for not researching beforehand.

9 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

£300 for everything would be as much as I'd want to pay for for parts+labour. There are cheaper places and as you've found out, more expensive. £150 ish for parts and 2 hours labour I'd say.

I ended up paying ~£400 overall. £44+VAT per strut, and £69/h+VAT labour for 3.5 hours.

• Sad 1

There's probably not much you can do about it now. Wouldn't bother with an email to an indie garage, it will go straight in the bin.

• Like 1

Autodata says 2.1hrs, but that includes front wheel alignment as well. 

40 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

There's probably not much you can do about it now. Wouldn't bother with an email to an indie garage, it will go straight in the bin.

Very true. Just frustrated to be honest.

12 minutes ago, iantt said:

Autodata says 2.1hrs, but that includes front wheel alignment as well. 

I guess if that was the case and they'd stuck to that I'd be charged 2.5 hours' worth, so probably saving ~£80 overall. Annoying but I guess I've gotta stick to it now.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club