Do Not Sell My Personal Information

20K Petrol Or 40K Diesel

stu9000

Hello all

Im on the very edge of spending around 11 to 12k on the new family car.

Im sure its gonna be an S Max.

Nothing else comes close whether its space, looks or drivability.

But should i go for a Petrol version with 20k on the clock or the diesel which has to have done around 37k before i can afford it.

I wanted something fairly low milage.

Were going to keep it for years and years, and im gonna be P*ssed off if it starts to rattle and squeek (im a bit OCD about dashboard rattles).

Im not worried about engines. They are generally bullet proof these days.

Its that general quality feel. The quiteness on the motor way, the feel of the suspension, the little dashboard rattles.

Ive never spent this much on a car in my life and i want to feel ive spent it right.

If i buy a Diesel for under £12k which has done 37000m will i regret it in a few years.

Sure I save a few quid on road tax but will those extra miles matter to me in 2012?

I think it will do about 5 to 7k miles a year with us.

Isnt it right that to make a diesel worth the £ I should be doing about 12k miles a year.

Then again... if i did by a diesel id probably get the £ back in the resale.

The main point is that for the budget i have does it matter that im looking at a 40k miles diesel.

At the moment im holding out for a low milage petrol, but they keep making me offers on the more common diesels and im drooling.

Should i just give in?

Cheers

S

For the miles you are doing, petrol makes far more sense. If you are keeping for ages, resale value is almost moot, as the relative difference in 5 or 6 years will be quite small compared to now.

First of all welcome to FOC.

I agree with Silver Fox - petrol makes much more sense for your mileage, you need to do substantially more than that to offset the increased servicing costs and the higher price of diesel.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club