Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ecoboom

Aaron_Skilton

Driving to work. Car developed a misfire out of nowhere. Breakdown were pretty useless. Said it was probably coil pack. Long story short...... piston completely failed. 13 plate ST. 33k miles full main dealer history. 542dee6e852c671cf5306772ae6bc091.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ouch. Looks like the previous owners (or if you owned it from new) didn't run it in properly and ragged it everywhere. This has always been the case for ST's but the 5 pot engine was basically indestructible.

Just goes to show how a main dealer full service history means absolutely nothing. 

• Like 1

Expensive sadly. 

There’s the ecoboom group on Facebook that may be worth a visit. 

I have an ecoboost and I’m hoping the same doesn’t happen to me. It’s pretty much a new engine when it does. 

Only way I can see to avoid it is regular servicing and checking coolant levels weekly. 

3 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Ouch. Looks like the previous owners (or if you owned it from new) didn't run it in properly and ragged it everywhere. This has always been the case for ST's but the 5 pot engine was basically indestructible.

Just goes to show how a main dealer full service history means absolutely nothing. 

5 pot was not indestructible, had a big problem with cracked liners.

No engine model is ever 100% reliable, there will always be bad ones. The 2.0 ecoboost is not known to commonly fail in the way it has for the OP,  it's just bad luck or poor maintenance (not necessarily by current owner).

• Like 1

Trust me it's not poor servicing. Cars maintained meticulously. Full main dealer history. Knew the previous owner. Found out about a guy with a Mondeo with same 2.0 ecoboost. On his 3rd engine at 70k. Its probably LSPI. Might be down to a bad batch of pistons. But obv not cheap to repair when there's no spares available. Just absolutely gutted. Always been a Ford guy. This has broken me. It's clearly a manufacturing/design defect but I'm stuck picking up the bill because it's an "old" car.

If you can prove it was a manufacturing defect then your consumer rights have you covered 

• Like 1

Would cost me a lot more to take it to Ford and price that though. They would charge for a new engine and possibly pay 50% if I'm lucky, it's just a whole lot of arguing I probably won't win. Its 5 and a half years old. They don't care Its only got 33k. I'm on the Facebook group and all I'm seeing is ford saying tough luck it's your problem. And that's for the well documented coolant failure with recalls. Mines a piston. I have no chance.

1 minute ago, Aaron_Skilton said:

Would cost me a lot more to take it to Ford and price that though. They would charge for a new engine and possibly pay 50% if I'm lucky, it's just a whole lot of arguing I probably won't win. Its 5 and a half years old. They don't care Its only got 33k. I'm on the Facebook group and all I'm seeing is ford saying tough luck it's your problem. And that's for the well documented coolant failure with recalls. Mines a piston. I have no chance.

Might not matter about Ford, did you buy it from a dealer or business trader?

No I brought it private. Owned it 2 1/2 years so not covered by anything. Hence lucky I found a piston and it's getting gone soon as it's fixed.

what's the cylinder bore like? I would have thought that got a bit gouged also. Did the bits end up in the sump? I can't really see that any amount of poor/lack of maintenance would have caused that to happen. 

Luckily the bore is marked but not scored. They honed it out today. Hopefully get it back Friday 🤞🏻then I can sell it [emoji23][emoji23]

You're lucky the 2.0L Ecoboost engine is, at least, repairable. The 1.0L 3-pot is basically a throw-away engine. Apart from the head it's totally non-repairable.

Yeah Not really the case. Can't find any of the torque settings. Ford say you should replace the whole crank not just a piston. Not getting it back toll next week now. More bas news. Cars a curse

You're lucky the 2.0L Ecoboost engine is, at least, repairable. The 1.0L 3-pot is basically a throw-away engine. Apart from the head it's totally non-repairable.
Out of curiosity, does that include the timing belt that runs in oil? Is that there for life of engine then throw away on 3 cylinder 1.0 ?

5 hours ago, Aaron_Skilton said:

Yeah Not really the case. Can't find any of the torque settings. Ford say you should replace the whole crank not just a piston. Not getting it back toll next week now. More bas news. Cars a curse

bottom end is based on the mazda lf, so if you cant decide what to torque bolts to, then use the 2,0 lf mazda3 engine torques.thats what i would do. 

3 hours ago, gillyallan said:
5 hours ago, mjt said:

Out of curiosity, does that include the timing belt that runs in oil? Is that there for life of engine then throw away on 3 cylinder 1.0 ?

there is a replacement interval for the 1.0 timing belt. 

22 minutes ago, Pebbleheed said:

100,000 miles for the timing belt?

150,000 or 10 years. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club