Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Removing Glass window (rear door) - Ford Focus MK2.5

FordTheWin

I spent all of yesterday trying to remove the glass window from rear passenger side door of my Ford Focus MK2.5. I followed the service manual which made the process easy but I'm stumped on the last step. I can't actually pull the window out of the door. 

The manual says to pull the window upwards and outwards from the car door, as shown below:

1395631669_doorwindowservicemanual.jpg.1f2133cbcb41c8fac067432cb366c1af.jpg

This is an edited photo showing the glass window in the car door rolled all the way up:

647971915_doorwindownormalposition.thumb.jpg.a903969b3b5b87542fb7dd9e8c7c4d6e.jpg

And this is far as I can pull the glass window out of the car, the red circle shows where the glass fouls with the right side of the door frame, so that the curved corner of the glass is stuck behind the frame, stopping me from being able to slide the glass any higher out of the door:

141123128_doorwindow.thumb.jpg.5ffc6311710e47539acc5aff7ecebbac.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I really don't want to end up forcing the window and breaking it. 😥

Thank you everyone! 😀

is the window regulator down low and out the way? why are you wanting to remove window? 

• Thanks 1

Just now, iantt said:

is the window regulator down low and out the way? why are you wanting to remove window? 

Yeah, the window is down all the way and the glass can be freely pulled up by hand. The car in the photo is not my own, just a photo found online that I edited and the reason is because I want to apply tinting film, it's quite an expensive film and although I have a lot of experience applying film to glass windows, I am not comfortable with pushing the film into the edges and would find it much easier to apply after removing the glass.

you going to have to carefully have another try. there is no secret trick to remove. i cant remember what ive done to get those window glass out. i have done so but many years ago unfortunatly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, iantt said:

you going to have to carefully have another try. there is no secret trick to remove. i cant remember what ive done to get those window glass out. i have done so but many years ago unfortunatly. 

I will have to try it again, but this time if I run into an issue I'll post clear photos showing where the glass is being blocked. Thanks again. 🙂

• 7 months later...

Sorry to revive an older thread here, but did you manage to find a way to do this, OP? I've got exactly the same issue at the moment switching my doors over due to damage, but now need to swap over my factory tinted glass from the old door to the new standard one..

Can anyone else shed any light here at all either?

I've found that I can remove the winner strip off the door but where the older cars seem to have removable trim or runners I'm a little stuck with this one!

Much thanks to anyone that can advise!

Have you removed the lower bits of the guide rubber at the front and rear of the frame and removed the inner weather strip? If you rotate the window towards the rear of the car it should come out.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dan P said:

Have you removed the lower bits of the guide rubber at the front and rear of the frame and removed the inner weather strip? If you rotate the window towards the rear of the car it should come out.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Removing on the OSR, got it down to the inner strip off, just noticed I should be able to get the outer one off I believe my firmly sliding it towards the front of the car if that's correct? The left (to the rear of the car) runner comes put easy enough but stuck some with the right side, unsure on how that actually comes out.

I don't suppose there happens to be a good pictorial at all is there for that? My Google-Fu is usually strong but on this occasion I'm a little sparse on good info.

Cheers!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/20/2019 at 8:07 AM, WireyWhenWet said:

Removing on the OSR, got it down to the inner strip off, just noticed I should be able to get the outer one off I believe my firmly sliding it towards the front of the car if that's correct? The left (to the rear of the car) runner comes put easy enough but stuck some with the right side, unsure on how that actually comes out.

I don't suppose there happens to be a good pictorial at all is there for that? My Google-Fu is usually strong but on this occasion I'm a little sparse on good info.

Cheers!

Sorry mate, been a while since I logged in on here, I never did manage to remove the glass from the rear door of my ford focus, I recently did another search online and my post came up, there's no videos either, if I ever do find a way it would really help me in applying the tint, which is still unused. So if anyone has any advice or has done this to their mk2/mk2.5 focus please leave a reply, as I'm still interested in finding out how.

• Like 1

@FordTheWin

See my guide here: 

I've removed front door windows in the process of the guide;

theres bolts on clamps which need to be loosened to lift out the glass because these bolts pinch on the bottom to grip it for opening 

I used the haynes manual theres plenty of detail on there for removing everything.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lenny said:

@FordTheWin

See my guide here: 

I've removed front door windows in the process of the guide;

theres bolts on clamps which need to be loosened to lift out the glass because these bolts pinch on the bottom to grip it for opening 

I used the haynes manual theres plenty of detail on there for removing everything.

Thanks Lenny, I had already removed both screws, but the glass window still wouldn't come out all the way because it would get stuck behind the right side of the door frame. I remember trying for many hours to pull the glass up and out of the door, but did not want to pull harder or bend any more as I feared it would shatter. I searched through all of youtube for a tutorial too, but only found videos of people removing their front side windows, which looked a lot easier and more straightforward compared to the rear side window.

Thank you for taking the effort to reply Lenny, this is a real PITA, and I'm not sure if I'll ever find a way to remove the window.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, FordTheWin said:

Thanks Lenny, I had already removed both screws, but the glass window still wouldn't come out all the way because it would get stuck behind the right side of the door frame. I remember trying for many hours to pull the glass up and out of the door, but did not want to pull harder or bend any more as I feared it would shatter. I searched through all of youtube for a tutorial too, but only found videos of people removing their front side windows, which looked a lot easier and more straightforward compared to the rear side window.

Thank you for taking the effort to reply Lenny, this is a real PITA, and I'm not sure if I'll ever find a way to remove the window.

Thanks

I wasn't aware you had already loosened or removed the bolts, I'll check the Haynes manual tomorrow and respond with findings, my phone is an S8 has a fairly good camera; in the event Haynes manual has valid information I'll take close pictures of the pages and upload.

• Like 1

Cheers Lenny, appreciate the help! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FordTheWin said:

Cheers Lenny, appreciate the help! :thumbsup:

No problem mate, 

I hope it helps; I've not read it here just photographed the relevant pages, not sure how far you already got with removal; so heres the entire chapter 

20190805_123526.thumb.jpg.00140e553495b42c3fbb22aa8c324b46.jpg

20190805_123552.thumb.jpg.3e5f9f4d5b40c4248447fe354b2b2cd5.jpg

20190805_123603.thumb.jpg.537437a33b91a554b3d59ab4f0e68bc8.jpg

20190805_123614.thumb.jpg.854c1a7bdf2a31f905de4b3f99204fc5.jpg

20190805_123626.thumb.jpg.c1befd71c897f8414586cc9fa24594e4.jpg

20190805_123633.thumb.jpg.62966bcfbe614f837aa010ac1563a4d2.jpg

20190805_123647.thumb.jpg.0f0464ffd40bba04b30f3b90d89e6700.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks a lot again, the quality of the photos are excellent, like having the Haynes manual here. I do remember removing the rear and front rubber guides but didn't fully remove them because even the process of removing them half way had caused the rubber to bend and look creased but I guess that's the only way. 11.11 says "tilt it up at the rear" but surely he's tilting it up at the front. 

Anyway now just got to find some time to try again, but at least this time I feel more confident, 😃👍

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

For the mk2/2.5 2011 to 2018? The rear window removal requires the inside plastic frame cover popping off at rear of door to allow access to the 3 screws hidden under the guide rubbers which are removed from the outside allowing the shiny plastic triangle at rear of window frame to be removed, this allows the glass to be lifted straight out, no twisting involved.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club