Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Change engine oil

NeilRS

Recently had a low engine oil. Warning. Topped it up with one litre. Now have change engine oil message. Car is on 16 k and is 17 months old. Are we supposed to stick to the schedule or is it variable?  

Many thanks 

I don't believe the establishment of service intervals is a precise science, therefore, if it was my car i would "play safe" and get it serviced as i really don't think it is worth the risk.

@NeilRS I contacted my dealer as like you I got the same oil level low and topped up with a litre, then soon after got the oil change required warning. Mine was just under 15000 at the time. Despite neither 18000 or 2 years having been reached the dealer said that the actual service interval varies depending on your driving. I do mostly short journeys and not a lot of motorway, so this causes the oil to break down sooner and the sensor which measures the viscosity of the oil tells the ECU you need a change.  Kind of makes sense I suppose. 

• Like 1

Thanks. Its with the dealer anyway at the moment having the air con fixed so I’ll ask them to service it too 

About right, maybe little high. I paid £249.98 for my first 18k mile service at local Ford dealer

Thanks. Just got a quote from Rates Ford in Essex at £199. It’s a fair trek but worth it for a £100 saving. 

Just phoned the dealer back and to be fair they’ve offered to price match at £199. That was worth a call!! 

• Like 1

Mine's just had its' first service after 16k miles and 23 months. My journeys are very mixed, short, medium and long plus a fair bit of towing.

I was quoted around £180 when I booked it in and then presented with a bill for £281! When I queried it, they umm'd and ahh'd and then knocked the £81 off. It pays to moan. However, they got their own back by informing me that the next service will be over £600 as the gearbox fluid will need changing.

11 hours ago, kelvin1950 said:

they got their own back by informing me that the next service will be over £600 as the gearbox fluid will need changing.

They are taking the p**s ! Yes the transmission fluid (and filter) is a change item at the 36,000 mile service, but it shouldn't cost too much extra. The fact they tried to overcharge you by £101 (56% more), suggests to me that they are rip off merchants and you really get your own back by shopping around a bit and taking your hard earned cash somewhere else!

7 hours ago, simonb65 said:

They are taking the p**s ! Yes the transmission fluid (and filter) is a change item at the 36,000 mile service, but it shouldn't cost too much extra. The fact they tried to overcharge you by £101 (56% more), suggests to me that they are rip off merchants and you really get your own back by shopping around a bit and taking your hard earned cash somewhere else!

What's a ballpark figure for the next service? Any idea?

5 hours ago, kelvin1950 said:

What's a ballpark figure for the next service? Any idea?

I don't know, but look on ETIS at the service schedules for 18K and 36K and there isn't much in it, certainly not 3x the cost. Next time I pop into or pass my local Ford dealer, I'll ask what they would charge for the 18 & 36K Services. I'm still a way off the 18K yet, but my 2 years is due in December.

36K service includes Gear Box oil and Filter Change on PowerShifts.

It's called extended maintenance.

Gearbox oil is ridiculously expensive.

H

1 hour ago, Hamster said:

Gearbox oil is ridiculously expensive.

You can get he 8.5L needed for the auto transmission for around £120 (and genuine Ford part if you shop around!) and another £30 for the filter. It's not hard to change, so based on @kelvin1950's quote, that's still a lot of markup/labour charge for not much effort!

the service time difference is 12 mins longer on 36k/4yrs and extra parts are air filter and fuel filter

the auto transmission fliud change is  just over an hr. 

So likely to be £200+ more than the first service then? For the automatic at least 

• 4 years later...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club