Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car crashed into me Sat 25th Aug

On the morning of Saturday 25th August a car ran into me while I was in bed.

The 21yr old has wrecked it and the sad thing is that I have no money to replace the car. I'm more than annoyed.

3C0A6184.jpg

Damn at least you wasn't inside it are you breaking it?

His car in photo

Had a bad year so far. Got sacked from work because I had flu, then got DVT. Now this? I'm sure something else will go wrong soon.

4 cars damaged altogether because my car moved 30 feet where my vehicle is parked now and that vehicle lightly touched another.

He said his car is on finance and pays £2k on insurance, so I guess that's a plus on my side.

Waiting for recovery to ring me, I'll probably ring insurance again tomorrow and chase it up if I don't hear anything.

3C0A6185.jpg

Think of the positives, you weren't in the car, cars can be replaced, people can't and also they say bad luck comes in threes so you should be good (fingers crossed).  You seem quite down at the moment, just remember to keep your chin up, I'm sure another job will come along soon.

Also I had no idea what DVT meant, so you & Google taught me something new!

• Like 2

You don't need money to replace the car that a third party has written off...that's the point of insurance. :smile:

Did the other driver give any reason as to how he managed to hit a parked car with enough force to do that much damage? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

You don't need money to replace the car that a third party has written off...that's the point of insurance. :smile:

Did the other driver give any reason as to how he managed to hit a parked car with enough force to do that much damage? 

First time it's happened to me, been reading up and yes you're right.

He said he couldn't see because of the sun, but there is no doubt he was fiddling with his phone. He did mention something about a hands free set but of course I can't prove anything. He did admit to doing the damage.

Yikes, that's bad. Good job you or no one else was inside at the time. 

As someone else already said, how the flipping heck has he managed to do so much damage to your car which was then shunted 30 feet?

Me thinks it would be a case of a) speeding, b) driver distracted by mobile or other device/person or c) he was just a plonker.  The young lad will be paying a lot more than £2k for insurance after this.

If he was insured and at fault then his insurance will pay for a replacement car for you (market value) if it's written off. Your own insurance may grant you a courtesy vehicle whilst the claim is being sorted. 

• Like 2

Must have been going more than 30mpg to do that damage. (Too many people speed on this road at about 50mph in a 30mph zone [had one death because of a young guy speeding so far]).

Yes he's insured. I think it's his first car which I'm guessing is why his insurance is so much, and he's on finance.

If my car is said to be written off, I doubt I'll be getting a courtesy vehicle. I've researched it on my insurance website.

I'll let you all know what happens 🙂

If you can state that you need a car for essential family / work reasons then you may be able to get a vehicle on his insurance especially as I'd reckon your car to be at least a category B write off.

From experience of many rtc scenes I'd say that there is definitely no way that he was doing anything near 30mph.

At least a charge of without due care and bordering on reckless driving there.

I'll lay bets that no insurance company will want to offer insurance to him for quite a while.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 1

Not good to see that. That upsets me also. I'm sure it's easy for the insurance companies from both sides to know clearly its the other guys fault. Im sure they'd pay out to you helping you to get something else or a courtesy car. 

I wouldn't ever push young / new drivers to financing a fancy newer car. The young guy must be regretting it now sadly. 

Have you looked into your deep vein thrombosis and found the cause of it? Had you recently come back from holiday? 

Sorry to hear that. My car got written off about a month ago in a hit and run whilst I was grabbing some lunch. That cost me my excess.

@Nick Y choosing from the option you have given, I’m going to choose all 3! 

If you haven’t already spoken to citizens advice or a union about getting sacked for having flu then it may be worth it, there are a lot of employment laws now that will support and employee. Even if it’s to check the company followed policy by laying you off, of course if you have been in your job less than 2 years that can make things different.

id imagine the doctors are looking into your DVT but there are all sorts of reasons for it to happen so it might take a while to get it figured out unfortunately. 

Insurance wise, you are going to lose out unfortunately, they will only give you what you’re car is worth as per ‘market value’, not what it will cost to replace it like for like. The only advice I can offer is to take photos of the interior/exterior where it is undamaged, take pictures of the tread left on the tyres if they are pretty new and never ever take the Insurance companies first offer to settle your claim. It will always be too low and you can normally squeeze another couple of hundred out of them, that’s where the pictures come in. You need to prove your car was well looked after and worth top end of the book price. Also look around on auto trader and local dealers for a similar car for sale and use that price as a bargaining tool too. 

• Like 3

Never nice to see your treasured vehicle get damaged
I reckon by the high insurance premium that the guy that hit you was within his first two years of driving therefore this incident will likely see him getting 6 points and a ban.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 1

You are lucky you got his details for a claim.   Same happened to me last year and the driver ran off and was never traced.   Insurance paid out for repairs but the incident was put down to my fault even though it was 2am and I was in bed.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

I'd imagine the doctors are looking into your DVT but there are all sorts of reasons for it to happen so it might take a while to get it figured out unfortunately.

DVT gone. I finished course of anticoagulants this morning. It's a bit of a grey area if I should come off the tablets because the DVT may come back, but I know what to look out for if it does.

Had phone call this morning and they're going to pay for repairs. Currently waiting for recovery to contact me and get the game rolling so-to-speak.

35 minutes ago, Daelpix said:

DVT gone. I finished course of anticoagulants this morning. It's a bit of a grey area if I should come off the tablets because the DVT may come back, but I know what to look out for if it does.

Had phone call this morning and they're going to pay for repairs. Currently waiting for recovery to contact me and get the game rolling so-to-speak.

Suprised they are going to repair that amount of damage?

1 minute ago, Tiexen said:

Suprised they are going to repair that amount of damage?

This!!  Has an assessor been out to see it? 

This cost £2000 and it was only 2 years old - so I can't see yours being worth repairing.

My car.jpg

• Like 1

Thats a bad one mate,as many said on here at the end of the day there our pride and joy but its a car and can be replaced.

You cant, so good job you wasn't in it or others.

I would of thought they would of wrote that off looking at it and as been said good to get the details and stuff and he didnt drive off if he could but

im no expert but that is no way 30 mph.

• Like 1

I would be surprised if they repair it with that much damage.

Jonro2009 says: "Insurance wise, you are going to lose out unfortunately, they will only give you what you’re car is worth as per ‘market value’, not what it will cost to replace it like for like."

The market value is what it will cost like for like to replace. they are the same thing. 

But bear in mind, like with any business or individual, they are not going to pay more than they need to so are possibly going to make low offer first. If you are going to ask them for more, do your homework and have evidence (autotrader adverts etc). How you get on depends a lot on the individual member of staff at the insurance company. But bear in mind if you are talking to the third party insurers, you are not their customer, so they are less inclined to be nice to you, not just in the result, but how they treat you with their attitude and respect, or lack of. Like being obstructive and rude.

19 minutes ago, isetta said:

I would be surprised if they repair it with that much damage.

Jonro2009 says: "Insurance wise, you are going to lose out unfortunately, they will only give you what you’re car is worth as per ‘market value’, not what it will cost to replace it like for like."

The market value is what it will cost like for like to replace. they are the same thing. 

But bear in mind, like with any business or individual, they are not going to pay more than they need to so are possibly going to make low offer first. If you are going to ask them for more, do your homework and have evidence (autotrader adverts etc). How you get on depends a lot on the individual member of staff at the insurance company. But bear in mind if you are talking to the third party insurers, you are not their customer, so they are less inclined to be nice to you, not just in the result, but how they treat you with their attitude and respect, or lack of. Like being obstructive and rude.

The money that is offered is what it would cost a garage to replace your car, from experience you are highly unlikely to be able to go onto a forecourt and buy a similar car for the price you got from the insurance. 

I doubt the insurance company are going to be particularly nice to their own customer either after this lol

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

The money that is offered is what it would cost a garage to replace your car, from experience you are highly unlikely to be able to go onto a forecourt and buy a similar car for the price you got from the insurance. 

I doubt the insurance company are going to be particularly nice to their own customer either after this lol

Some insurace companies will source a replacement car:

DirectLine will:

A choice between a replacement car like yours, a cash settlement or you can pay the difference for an upgrade,
if your car is written off due to an accident, vandalism, fire or flood.

• Like 2

No chance they'll want to go ahead with repairs after it's been assessed I reckon. Looks to me like there will be serious damage to the chassis on top of the bumper, both rear headlamps (lucky if they're not cracked), boot, rear suspension probably at least on drivers side and possibly exhaust too. 

Good thing is everyone is in one piece. Insurance can get you a new car, people aren't as easily repaired or replaced 

• Like 1

Just been to the car bodyshop and they're waiting confirmation to go ahead with repairs from the insurance company.

I've been reading up Hastings Direct (insurance co. I'm with.) and it says they'll only replace a car if it's less than one year old.

Other photos: Another angle of rear, inside boot and bonnet (bonnet lifted on near side 1cm)

3C0A6183-2.jpg

3C0A6192-2.jpg

3C0A6195.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club