Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford recall - software update clutch slip 18S07

granville_focus

Hi, by chance I checked the Ford Etis site and found that my 2105 Focus is subject to a Ford recall for software update. On searching the internet only 1.0l and 1.6l engines with 6 speed gearboxes where listed as subject to recall. Having spoken to my Ford dealer they have confirmed that my 1.5l is subject to recall. Ford customer services were less than useless advising me to check the Etis site and could not tell me why I have not received anything in writing from Ford. Which is concerning as this potential fault can potentially cause clutch failure and a fire. Probably worth checking if you have a Focus with a 6 speed gearbox 

I had to get in touch for my recall too, very annoying.

Have you booked yours in yet?  At some dealers there is a 4 week wait for the clutch recall currently!! 😮

On etis do you have to make up a company name to go further? Or anyone know if a 2017 1.0 6 speed is subject to this recall

1 hour ago, gillyallan said:

On etis do you have to make up a company name to go further? Or anyone know if a 2017 1.0 6 speed is subject to this recall

depends when the build date is and not reg date. if it was built 2017 then no not affected. 

Thanks. I'm sure way back when I could get on etis it was built March 17.

I got in to etis. Feb 17 mine was built and says no outstanding campaigns or something

had the software update done yesterday, just over an hour

Didn't realise the clutch was governed by software. Always just thought it a mechanical thing. What did the software do?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gillyallan said:

Didn't realise the clutch was governed by software. Always just thought it a mechanical thing. What did the software do?

+1 Didn't realise this either!

The clutch isn't governed by any software. The PCM update is to detect clutch slip (using rpm and road speed inputs) and reduce the engines torque at that point to avoid any damage.  It has been suggested that the update is also reducing torque across a lot of the rev range rather than just when detecting slip, but no-one has proved this so far. 

Some of the cars that are being recalled are also having the clutch plate physically checked for cracking.  However I can't see them pulling the gearbox off in an hour so I'm not sure if all of them are being checked like that.  I would assume they're checking pedal feel (the dodgy clutches feel a bit soft and rough) and only checking the ones that feel bad.  However that does make me worry that those clutches that are good now could be bad in the future. :unsure: 

I'm not sure if it was a bad batch of clutches, or if it's driver error causing the failures.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2018 at 7:48 AM, granville_focus said:

Hi, by chance I checked the Ford Etis site and found that my 2105 Focus is subject to a Ford recall for software update. On searching the internet only 1.0l and 1.6l engines with 6 speed gearboxes where listed as subject to recall. Having spoken to my Ford dealer they have confirmed that my 1.5l is subject to recall. Ford customer services were less than useless advising me to check the Etis site and could not tell me why I have not received anything in writing from Ford. Which is concerning as this potential fault can potentially cause clutch failure and a fire. Probably worth checking if you have a Focus with a 6 speed gearbox 

Please see my forum post on this clutch issue 

Also read about Fords reported recent $10 million fine in Australia in press over Ford Powershift faults, frightening !

My 2.0 TDCi 150 is in for a service and was advised it was subject to a recall. Funnily enough the DVLA recall site doesn't have any listed.

I'll get the car back tomorrow, with the recall completed. If I notice any differences will let you know.

It seems to go back before 2015. Etis shows my 2012 1.0L 6 speed as subject to the recall. 

maybe I got confused, thought the post was about DSG cars.... but maybe you guys ARE talking manual...

I was rambling about the others.....   can't say for ford, but def a dsg box is computer controlled, there's a whole host of clutch set up routines than can be performed to try and get things right. 

there are two fairly lightweight clutches in there and as BOTH gearboxes are usually in mesh there must be lots of safety stuff in software to ensure the teeth say put and you don't go leaving lots of black marks…. these are manual cars not autos.... they just have automated clutch and gear change

ford UK are doing the dirty on customers, all other countries are doing the job properly, UK are extending warranty to 5 years and hoping most too stupid to talk about it,  I think it goes back to 2011, wrong oil (VAG did the same) rots oil seals it leaks and they judder like hell. these cars should get a new gearbox a new clutch and new software.... as they got newer the leaks stopped, then the clutch material improved then the software got less bad

This thread is about manual clutches on the 6 speed manual gearbox...  

Jo has her own thread about the Powershift boxes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, goldtail77 said:

My 2.0 TDCi 150 is in for a service and was advised it was subject to a recall. Funnily enough the DVLA recall site doesn't have any listed.

I'll get the car back tomorrow, with the recall completed. If I notice any differences will let you know.

3 hours ago, pcaouolte said:

It seems to go back before 2015. Etis shows my 2012 1.0L 6 speed as subject to the recall. 

Happy to stand corrected as I'm just wanting to help and not play right and wrong

But . . as far as I know from the information thats out there - this is a Technical service Bulletin currently and not a full blown re-call. So DVLA wouldn't have anything listed.

Unfortunately, as seen with the recent BMW 1 Series Recall - in the UK someone seems to have to die before its considered a re-call.

Ford have notified owners in America of this problem and its a Safety Recall in America - but as you are UK and its not a full recall - I believe, shockingly - they dont have to tell you. This explains non receipt of letters.

If it has - or does turn in to a proper re-call - this is going to be huge.

It probably goes some way to explain why seemingly the majority of manual ecoboosts reg plates I keep searching in etis (I'm currently after a used Focus) throw this TSB up. Seems like Etis has been updated - but you'll only find out at your next service.

On 8/31/2018 at 8:05 PM, focusestate said:

Happy to stand corrected as I'm just wanting to help and not play right and wrong

But . . as far as I know from the information thats out there - this is a Technical Service Bulletin currently and not a full blown re-call. So DVLA wouldn't have anything listed.

Unfortunately, as seen with the recent BMW 1 Series Recall - in the UK someone seems to have to die before its considered a re-call.

Ford have notified owners in America of this problem and its a Safety Recall in America - but as you are UK and its not a full recall - I believe, shockingly - they dont have to tell you. This explains non receipt of letters.

If it has - or does turn in to a proper re-call - this is going to be huge.

It probably goes some way to explain why seemingly the majority of manual ecoboosts reg plates I keep searching in etis (I'm currently after a used Focus) throw this TSB up. Seems like Etis has been updated - but you'll only find out at your next service.

Mine is showing on the ETIS site as requiring a recall so I checked my reg on here - https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ - which I presume is part of the DVLA, and it's showing the car is subject to a recall on there, doesn't actually state what it's for though! Actually, it may have only just gone on, as it mentions 2 September 2018...

Mine was fixed today (software update only). It still shows as oustanding on Etis and as a recall on the https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ site. The Ford dealer performed the update as part of a normal routine service without me requesting it.

The only difference that I have noticed is that the gear change indicator suggests using a higher gear at slower speed than before. It used to want an up change when doing a steady speed at about 2000rpm, this has now reduced but I haven't done enough miles yet to work out what it's new rules are. There were no other noticeable changes in the first 15miles of mixed driving.

To add to my post above. The gear change indicator is now operating at about 1600rpm rather than 2000rpm when doing a steady speed. It can also suggest a change from 4th to 6th which it never did before, it previously only suggested moving up one gear at a time. The only other change is that the reported mpg seems to be better.

which probably means the whole clutch slip thing is a misnomer and all cars affected have dodgy emissions that where clearly illegal and we called it back to fix them  (which is what I guessed the whole thing was about before you mention a change indicator is now totally different.....   )

Hi,

I’ve just registered for the Ford Pass App and when I put my VIN number in, it showed my Focus details and also showed that it had a recall on it for the software for the clutch slip. I also checked .gov for any recall and it showed a recall on my car. I’ve had no letter from Ford about this recall.

Can anyone tell me if this software update is important/very important and needs urgently doing. The reason I ask is I’m going on holiday next weekend and will be driving down to Cornwall. I’ve noticed from other replies on this thread, Ford can’t book recalls in for a month or so, hence another reason why I ask if this software update is urgent.

What did we do when we didn’t have software to detect clutch slip and adjust for it. We had driver human instincts then and surely there was still the risk of clutch slip and damage, but did it cause a risk of fire.

Liam.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club