Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford recall - software update clutch slip 18S07

granville_focus

3 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

Unlike computer motherboard manufacturers and such like, car manufacturers in general seem to like to keep their "software" as close to their chests as possible, meaning most of us are left in the dark.

True that! Software dev myself so I know what to look for most of the time to find the bugs. I’ve got a list with my 2012 that I have to keep up to date. 

I just started a new thread for the lights to see if anyone else sees the behaviour. 

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 2:36 PM, WES180 said:

I love launching my car off the line when I can, especially at a local set of traffic lights on a 40 road that then opens up to 70mph on the other side of them. That pretty much seems the only fun i can have in it now without risking points. I think I might skip the update after all the negative comments and let the next owner get it done later this year.

Hi Wes180, We've shared posts before about this recall. I have a countryside stretch of road which I often use. It's maximum speed limit, straight and slightly uphill with no traffic.  A great testing ground!  You now tell me that you might skip the update - I thought you would be my allie in this!  Mines booked in at the end of January, I'll let you know how it performs after this.

• Haha 1

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:30 PM, Tomson said:

Booked mine in today - I have my suspicions that this may have something to do with emissions, but only Ford will know about this.

Have many had it done? has anyone noticed a drop in performance since having it done?

Hi Thomson, We have the same engine and mine is booked for 18S07 at the end of January 2019.

Have you noticed any drop in performance since your update in October 2018? 

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:30 PM, Tomson said:

Booked mine in today - I have my suspicions that this may have something to do with emissions, but only Ford will know about this.

Have many had it done? has anyone noticed a drop in performance since having it done?

16 hours ago, WES180 said:

I had a letter through the post for both recalls.

Hopefully I’ll get a Ford letter soon. 

13 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

They stagger the letters due to the number of affected vehicles, they can't cope with the demand of having thousands of extra vehicles come in at once.  You should get one eventually, but as you'll have to book in yourself anyway, there is no need to wait for the letter if you want it done.  

Thank you Tom for this. I’ll give it a little while longer and if no letter shows up I’ll get it booked in.

Liam.

9 minutes ago, Liam40 said:

Thank you Tom for this. I’ll give it a little while longer and if no letter shows up I’ll get it booked in.

Liam.

Depends when your car's build date. On your profile you put 2016. Do you know the build date ? In later 2016 vehicles the recall is not needed. 

19 hours ago, Mr Toad said:

Hi Thomson, We have the same engine and mine is booked for 18S07 at the end of January 2019.

Have you noticed any drop in performance since your update in October 2018? 

None mate. The performance drop happens at the time of a clutch slipping, but otherwise operates as normal.

• Thanks 1

That's reassuring to know. I've just received the letter for mine and had mixed feelings about booking it in. I'm definitely in the "if it's not broke don't fix it" camp and my car is performing fine at the moment. I have no problem with the clutch action, the bite point is perfect. It can judder a bit if I try to pull away too briskly but definitely no slip. I'd be annoyed if the update changed the characteristics of the pull away.

The update made no difference to the pull away on mine. The clutch action is exactly the same as it was before. 

Hi Everyone, On Wednesday I posted I hadn’t received my letter from Ford yet about the recall. ‘I don’t believe it.!’ Yesterday I received a letter from Ford for the recall 😂😂. So will be booking mine in.

My worry is, after the recall job is done, will I lose any performance in the engines power.?

Liam.

My main worry is that I understand the garage test the clutch for slip as part of the recall. I just pray they don't ruin a perfectly good clutch.

Yes, you'll lose a bit of performance, whether you notice it or not seems to be down the individual driving style etc.  

Clutch slip test shouldn't ruin the clutch, they'll have to fit a new one FOC if it fails the test.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Yes, you'll lose a bit of performance, whether you notice it or not seems to be down the individual driving style etc.  

Clutch slip test shouldn't ruin the clutch, they'll have to fit a new one FOC if it fails the test.

I don’t like the idea of losing a bit of performance. If I bought the car because partly I liked the performance of it, and they take a bit away from the car because of a software update, seems a bit unfair.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Liam40 said:

I don’t like the idea of losing a bit of performance. If I bought the car because partly I liked the performance of it, and they take a bit away from the car because of a software update, seems a bit unfair.

Is it perhaps checking for whether the clutch is depressed, and then just restricting the revs to a maximum like some variations of previous Focus's, rather than restricting power with clutch fully engaged?

It's more likely to be comparing engine speed from the crank sensor with road speed.

5 hours ago, mjt said:

It's more likely to be comparing engine speed from the crank sensor with road speed.

So it's going to totally crap out when (poorly) driving on ice/snow? 😂 That's Ford for ya!

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, Micro said:

So it's going to totally crap out when (poorly) driving on ice/snow? 😂 That's Ford for ya!

Wouldn’t have thought so as it would be your wheels spinning on the ice/snow, not the clutch.

Ford Customer Servcies were extremely unhelpful and only offered me the opportunity to call Ford technical on a premium rate number or use snail mail in 2019 to discuss my concerns.  These were regarding safety, quality and how they could guarantee there are no fractures on the pressure plate which could get worse and cause a future premature failure without physically inspecting it.

I asked for me enquiry to be changed to a complaint.  The response I received (below) was exactly the same.   You don’t know how good or bad Customer Services are until you have to contact them... in this case, entirely unhelpful.  They or their dealers have our money so don’t care.  They deserve a genuine poor review, my next new car won’t be a Ford.

“Good Morning,

I hope you are well. 

Regarding the questions you have asked unfortunately, we are not a technical department here so would not be the correct team to discuss the queries you have with yourself. 

Any technical queries are best discussed with your local Ford dealership, or alternatively you can contact our technical department on 0906 55 33 447. This is a premium rate line charged at £1 per minute. 

Our technical department can also be contacted in writing via the following address:

Technical Information Centre

PO Box 12060

Colchester

CO1 9PF

Kind regards,

Bailey Edwards
Case manager
Ford Customer Relationship Centre”

19 hours ago, Micro said:
On 1/14/2019 at 9:55 AM, mjt said:

When I said 'road speed' I meant the signal relating to road speed, from the vss or abs ring. If it detects the engine speed 'signal' increasing without a corresponding increase in road speed 'signal' that would indicate clutch slip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:42 AM, mjt said:

When I said 'road speed' I meant the signal relating to road speed, from the vss or abs ring. If it detects the engine speed 'signal' increasing without a corresponding increase in road speed 'signal' that would indicate clutch slip.

or a puncture

just checked etis and my 2011 1.6 ecoboost now has the clutch slip recall. must've just went up this week as ive been checking.

I also got the Ford clutch slip recall letter through 2 or so weeks ago and still haven't rang my local Ford dealer yet.  Haven't had time so far, had to get the car through its MOT first.

Will report back once it goes in for the software update, Ford in Gillingham are my nearest.

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine done yesterday at Trust Ford in Strood/Medway, took roughly 1 hour.  Clutch does feel better than it was tbh, it feels more gentle than before.  When I first got the car the clutch felt a bit odd especially the transition from 1st to 2nd at high revs it would judder, at first I put this down to getting used to the cars clutch.  I usually drive more sensibly but yeah I did test the car out now and then with a heavy right foot and even months after still got the same judder.  After recall: Tested yesterday and today under the same load and revs and the judder is now gone, clutch feels as it should have done in the first place.  Haven't noticed any loss in power or anything else abnormal so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Had my 18S07 recall done at end of January 2019.  There's no difference to the bite point of the clutch and the pedal pressure felt exactly the same as before.

I reinstalled Bluefin and I believe that I've lost 5% in power, which in my case is 10bhp. I have Bluefin fitted + K&N airbox. So I've gone from 205bhp to 195bhp. 

On the positive side, it's still better than my original 182bhp and I'm now still covered by my insurance company in case of any damage/fire if the clutch explodes (because if I ignored the 18s07 recall, I would be negligent and they wouldn't pay out.)

• 2 weeks later...

I've just had this recall via fordpass. 18s39.

Need to get it booked in. Am I entitled to a courtesy car for recalls do you know?

Just wanting to go in armed as don't want to book a holiday for it.

Must have only gone out today as would have seen it last week. Mk3.5 1.0 ecoboost 125. 17 plate

Is it a software update or mechanical update?

Edit: sorry went back to beginning of thread and see its software. At time it was suggested mine shouldn't be affected, I guess now they've discovered it is.

15 hours ago, gillyallan said:

I've just had this recall via fordpass. 18s39.

Need to get it booked in. Am I entitled to a courtesy car for recalls do you know?

Just wanting to go in armed as don't want to book a holiday for it.

Must have only gone out today as would have seen it last week. Mk3.5 1.0 ecoboost 125. 17 plate

Is it a software update or mechanical update?

Edit: sorry went back to beginning of thread and see its software. At time it was suggested mine shouldn't be affected, I guess now they've discovered it is.

I've just seen the same 18S39 - CLUTCH SLIP DETECTION for mine on Etis. Must have only just gone out as I checked Etis a few days ago and there was nothing. I have exactly the same car as you, and year also. 

Ironically I've been complaining of clutch clip to Ford since I've had it, but they say they can't fault it. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club