Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford recall - software update clutch slip 18S07

granville_focus

You're not 'entitled' to a courtesy car.  You can ask for one though, you'll have to pay insurance for it, but the main issue is availability, probably depends on location but it seems to be difficult to find courtesy cars at Ford dealers, with people often having to book weeks in advance if they want one.

Just to confirm, there is a physical mechanical slip test performed on the clutch.  If it passes the test (no slip) you get a software update.  If it fails the test, you get a new clutch fitted, and then the software update.  

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

You're not 'entitled' to a courtesy car.  You can ask for one though, you'll have to pay insurance for it, but the main issue is availability, probably depends on location but it seems to be difficult to find courtesy cars at Ford dealers, with people often having to book weeks in advance if they want one.

Just to confirm, there is a physical mechanical slip test performed on the clutch.  If it passes the test (no slip) you get a software update.  If it fails the test, you get a new clutch fitted, and then the software update.  

I got a courtesy car for free for the last recall (cooling issue?), maybe it just depends on the dealership and if cars are available on the day.

• Like 1

Was hoping they'd give me a Mustang for the day. [emoji16]
Think I'll pop in later if I finish on time to speak to them and get it booked in.

14 minutes ago, gillyallan said:

Was hoping they'd give me a Mustang for the day. emoji16.png
Think I'll pop in later if I finish on time to speak to them and get it booked in.

Ha...knowing my luck it'd be a poverty spec Ka! :laugh:

My Dad has had a couple of Focus' though, just 99ps Zetec's but not bad for courtesy.  Seem to remember the insurance was about a tenner but maybe that depends on the Franchise.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Ha...knowing my luck it'd be a poverty spec Ka! :laugh:

My Dad has had a couple of Focus' though, just 99ps Zetec's but not bad for courtesy.  Seem to remember the insurance was about a tenner but maybe that depends on the Franchise.

My courtesy car was a Fiesta, it had less than 100 miles on it but still had a mark on the bumper. Luckily I made the service guy look right around it with me before I took it and I insisted he noted it down so I didn't get blamed for it upon it's return.

It was Polar Ford when I took it for that recall but it's been taken over now by Pentagon Ford so don't know if they loan free courtesy cars. Thinking back I think I might have paid £10 or so to either waive or reduce the policy excess in the event of me damaging the car.

Mine is booked in friday on a waiting appointment. At least saves me having to take time off work, though not getting that Mustang lol

• Haha 1

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 5:09 PM, Mr Toad said:

I reinstalled Bluefin and I believe that I've lost 5% in power, which in my case is 10bhp. I have Bluefin fitted + K&N airbox. So I've gone from 205bhp to 195bhp. 

how did u do this?  did you reset the device with superchips, re download the new map from you car and wait for a new update, thus starting afresh? or did u just reload the one held in the bluefin previously ?

if the latter, its possible you have wiped out any updates they just installed which potentially has multiple fixes they secretly aren't talking about ?

I received my recall notice in Dec 2018 and it was booked in for 5th Jan 2019. I was told it would only take 10 mins and could be done while I wait. So...all done to plan, but a month later I noticed it was still showing outstanding on the ETIS website. Went back to my Ford Dealer and they checked it on the spot and confirmed it had been done.....but due to a change in how they updated the databases, he suggested I check in another month!

HOWEVER....the big issue for me is that in July 2018....the clutch failed and had to be replaced , as did the flywheel. The car had done just 45000 miles and I have never had a clutch failure in 30 years of driving and most of my cars had 60000 miles and more when I parted company with them.. The conditions....frequent clutch changes on hilly twisty roads, acrid burning smell.....matched the description in the recall letter exactly. Also, I had experienced the burning smell previously in similar conditions.

I wrote to Ford expressing my view that the clutch failure had at the very least probably been expedited by this problem and they effectively told me to get lost - the car was out of warranty. This is a car that has also had 4 new batteries in 5 years.....admittedly all replaced free of charge, but no acceptance of any fault with the electronics....I have read that a start/stop needs to be well driven every day to maintain the battery.

I think I may try Trading Standards....but don't hold out too much hope.....I will never buy another Ford....a Skoda for me next!

Just home from having mine done. Took about 30 mins. Says clutch is fine and updated car.

Mine's booked for next sat. Somehow I suspect they will say mine is fine too, despite it slipping in the mornings

Hopefully they maybe do change yours then. Mine doesn't feel any different but then it felt alright beforehand to me. I'm always dubious of car places and wonder if it just sits there with them not doing anything. I'll also watch etis over time to see if it clears for me.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 7:54 PM, Botus said:

how did u do this?  did you reset the device with superchips, re download the new map from you car and wait for a new update, thus starting afresh? or did u just reload the one held in the bluefin previously ?

if the latter, its possible you have wiped out any updates they just installed which potentially has multiple fixes they secretly aren't talking about ?

I haven't done anything wrong. My 182ps Focus needed a previous 17S09 Coolant update. Superchips told me at that time to take the ECU back to original before the update. When you get the car back, you plug in Bluefin and it re-reads the ECU. The Bluefin device then gives a message 'Connect to PC' and you then send the new Ford file to Superchips - who then just alters the performance part of the ECU. When I had the 17S09 Coolant update there wasn't any change in performance. This time there was.

I took the ECU back to original for 18s07 Clutch update and after the Bluefin update I still think I've lost at least 5% power.     

just asking, do you think the ford took it down 5% and superchips just add x % more than a std car hence why you estimate its 5% short ?

Anyone any experience of how long it normally takes for etis to stop showing a recall once its been done?

Also notice garage turned my auto updates back on as I had it off.

13 minutes ago, gillyallan said:

Anyone any experience of how long it normally takes for etis to stop showing a recall once its been done?

Also notice garage turned my auto updates back on as I had it off.

It takes a few days to update on ETIS.  I was looking to buy one recently and mentioned the recall to the seller...he had no idea but booked it in (along with an MOT as just coming up to 3 years) and told me the date of it...

The MOT showed up on the system immediately so I knew it had been done but the recall didn't disappear for several days.

OK ta. Given it was Friday and now weekend I'll see if it vanishes next week some time

I've not noticed any difference driving mine after this recall / software update. It must of passed (no slip) and just got the software update. Although I can't help thinking.. if a new clutch had been fitted it would of been nice!

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:08 PM, Botus said:

just asking, do you think the ford took it down 5% and superchips just add x % more than a std car hence why you estimate its 5% short ?

Not exactly. By using familiar timed straight runs, I know I've lost between 5-10% power. Superchips can only put their % on top of what you send them. As I said before, after the 17S09 Coolant recall there was no drop in power, this time there was.  Do you have a 182PS engine? Do you have any experience in using Superchips?  

5 hours ago, Mr Toad said:

Not exactly. By using familiar timed straight runs, I know I've lost between 5-10% power. Superchips can only put their % on top of what you send them. As I said before, after the 17S09 Coolant recall there was no drop in power, this time there was.  Do you have a 182PS engine? Do you have any experience in using Superchips?  

my sister has the 150 ps version and had the update over Christmas (she says she didn't notice a difference) I've not been in it since

yes I've used bluefin on a different brand...  I was rather underwhelmed…. wooly throttle response far worse to drive, they gave another map giving it loads of boost, even worse throttle response but lots of go, third was something in between..... took them all off and went back to BMWs own later map (that's was nearly as much as the bluefin anyway) that had at least some throttle response and was a far more rounded effort

for most its not engine tuning at all, its play station bodging... oh we don't need a dyno or to see the car the computer says this'll do

15 hours ago, Botus said:

my sister has the 150 ps version and had the update over Christmas (she says she didn't notice a difference) I've not been in it since

yes I've used bluefin on a different brand...  I was rather underwhelmed…. wooly throttle response far worse to drive, they gave another map giving it loads of boost, even worse throttle response but lots of go, third was something in between..... took them all off and went back to BMWs own later map (that's was nearly as much as the bluefin anyway) that had at least some throttle response and was a far more rounded effort

for most its not engine tuning at all, its play station bodging... oh we don't need a dyno or to see the car the computer says this'll do

I've been in contact with Superchips today and they said that they haven't seen change (before & after 18S07) in the areas that they read & reprogram. But if there is a power loss it might be outside the ECU area that they read. I thought of the drivetrain, so I disabled the traction control and it's now the same as before. I'm happy!

Hi Everyone,

I’ve waited a while because I was waiting for my MOT and service to be due, so on the 15th March I’m booked in to have all 3 done MOT, service and Recall for software update for clutch slip. Thought I’d kill 3 birds with 1 stone 😂

Liam.

• Like 3

I might end up having this ‘update’ (early 2017 1.5 tit x)  but frankly I’m not happy about it.  My viewpoint is that whatever way you cut it if the clutch flywheel combo has an issue then you make a stronger one to cope with those issues and not screw your customers over with excuses and a feeble software update....   I don’t buy a 30 foot ladder and then let the manufacturer chop off ten feet because they screwed up the length/loading safety factor, I’d expect a 30 foot ladder from them that worked properly.....

Ray.

• Like 3

no, but if your 30 foot ladder had lose rivets and treads made from cheese.... it would be nice if the manu asked you to pop round so they can "clean it for free" and thus secretly swap a number of faulty parts

3 hours ago, Botus said:

no, but if your 30 foot ladder had lose rivets and treads made from cheese.... it would be nice if the manu asked you to pop round so they can "clean it for free" and thus secretly swap a number of faulty parts

I guess so. but hopefully I'd notice the cheese to start off with..... Oddly the DVLA site says theres a recall for it but absolutely nothing on Etis

DVLA

Outstanding recall found

There's an outstanding manufacturer's safety recall on (my) FORD FOCUS. The vehicle has been recalled since at least 10 March 2019.

Contact a FORD dealership to arrange for repairs.

If you've had the recalled component repaired recently, it can take up to three weeks for the manufacturer to update their records.

Etis:

Outstanding Field service Actions

No Campaign Message(s) found
We will check for outstanding service actions on your selected vehicle, using your detected country, if this is incorrect you may not see the right information.
We have detected that you are in the: United Kingdom
If this information is incorrect, click here to change your country.
Edited by Broggie
additional information