Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford recall - software update clutch slip 18S07

granville_focus

18 hours ago, Botus said:

no, but if your 30 foot ladder had lose rivets and treads made from cheese.... it would be nice if the manu asked you to pop round so they can "clean it for free" and thus secretly swap a number of faulty parts

The problem as I see it is that Ford know certain components seem to be either defected or underspecced but they're only replacing the affected parts on "some" vehicles, rather than replacing them across the board.  I have to admit I'd paid £££ for a Focus with the affected powertain combination and they "tested" it i.e. hammered the clutch and then said no "yours is fine", I'd always have that nagging feeling at the back of my mind that it's only a matter of time before the clutch craps out much earlier than expected.  After the issues they had with the leaky/crap clutches on the early MK3s it's a bit of a shame considering how much people will have paid for the cars and how good the MK3.5 is to drive.

Short term gain from them, not thinking how it'll affect their future sales

• Like 1

well just drove my sisters Focus Mk 3 petrol 1.6 ecoboost 150ps car that was updated over Christmas with this software update

what a disaster, its awful.  every single pull away comes with what I assume is the emission related disaster die back issue

either they trashed the clutch "Testing it", its failed because its rubbish from new, or they invented some weird beard software normal drivers would never accept. 

the effect that was never there before causes this behaviour every time - as you lift the clutch it starts to engage normally and the vehicle starts to move smoothly (exactly like any normal manual has done for the last 80 years), then just a smidge less pressure on the pedal and maybe a further 1mm of movement as you let the clutch out, results in a judder like your foot slipped off the clutch and an anti stall system put in an attendance at the party

if this can't be resolved I'd put it in a skip, I tried with out traction control it makes ZERO difference, - I'd say the vehicle NOW has the fault described here

• Sad 1

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:47 PM, Botus said:

well just drove my sisters Focus Mk 3 petrol 1.6 ecoboost 150ps car that was updated over Christmas with this software update

what a disaster, its awful.  every single pull away comes with what I assume is the emission related disaster die back issue

either they trashed the clutch "Testing it", its failed because its rubbish from new, or they invented some weird beard software normal drivers would never accept. 

the effect that was never there before causes this behaviour every time - as you lift the clutch it starts to engage normally and the vehicle starts to move smoothly (exactly like any normal manual has done for the last 80 years), then just a smidge less pressure on the pedal and maybe a further 1mm of movement as you let the clutch out, results in a judder like your foot slipped off the clutch and an anti stall system put in an attendance at the party

if this can't be resolved I'd put it in a skip, I tried with out traction control it makes ZERO difference, - I'd say the vehicle NOW has the fault described here

Having driven many more miles since my last post on 5th March, perhaps I was fooling myself that traction control off was the reason for the drop in performance. I was searching for a reason. My car still doesn't have the power it previously had in my range of performance driving which is from about 1800rpm to 3500rpm - so nowhere near 6000rpm max.

I do believe Superchips telling me that the area that they reprogram hasn't changed - I thought of drivetrain. So if it isn't traction control what have Ford done to reduce performance to protect the clutch/drivetrain?

I am in no way knowledgeable about the way sophisticated engine maps function....

but after looking at this a bit more recently, it seems many tuners are only working on an adaption element of the engine management "not the actual mapping".  So the manufacturer can do pretty much what they want with ignition and fueling within emission regs and longevity lines.  Many BMWs don't get mapped fully as few brave enough or knowledgeable to do it.  Depending upon the system it may have multiple maps that, based on fuel type, ambient temp, lamda feedback, altitude, drive mode selected etc. is used as a starting point for an almost continuously variable map.  Thus because it jumps around taking info from all over these multiple 3d maps you don't get to just tweak one data point with 1/4 degree more advance or 2% more fuel for a quick remap.

After the manu basis to work from - another "adaption area" comes in to play to add its ideas to the party.  This should be full of minor tweaks to compensate for bad manufacturing tolerance during an engine's build, engine wear, odd sensor readings and I guess to some extent bad driving etc. These adaption fixes are added over and above the std map/maps.  And together with the map, adaption tweaks are what the car uses day to day.

this would also indicate why some "remaps" are undetectable by franchised garages... the map is the std. one, it was never touched !!!

the amount of change within this adaption area must be quite limited as its supposed to tweak things, not re engineer the mapping, but I think nasty bodging is going on by most tuners.  Once the limitation of the adaption changes are reached if the manu winds the car down (because of a weak clutch)  - a bodge on remap can't regain it.

• Thanks 1

Last Friday took my Focus in for service, MOT and for the recall all on the same day. service successful, passed MOT (not that it wouldn’t pass) and recall done and I can happily report (fingers crossed and touching wood), no issues after software update, not sure but it might actually feel better too.???

SMC Ford even text and emailed me a video of one of the service men doing a health check on my car. 👍

Liam.

• 2 weeks later...

took my 12 plate 1.6 ecoboost 150 last week for both recalls a service and some plugs bought car with 30k on it 3 years ago degas hose i had read about so had that changed after first week of ownership they sorted it for free under warrenty  11 months after coolent bottlle got cracks in and started leaking they replaced under warrenty then i had the leaky pipes under footwell they sorted that for 120 pound other than that car has been sound was a bit dubious on taking car in got recall letetr   about 4 months ago thought i would let them do a few first but after  getting car back its running great if im honest clutch seems to be smoother with less judder and in one week mpg is at 43.7  never been above 42 since ive had it car is stop starting a lot more for some reason aswell  carnt say i notice any differerence in power either  done 75k now i also got video healhcheck from ford and got a brand new fiesta as courtesy car  

car was washed and hoovered when i pickd it up and didnt smell of burning clutch when i got in it all in all just glad its gone smooth 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2018 at 7:06 PM, iantt said:

depends when the build date is and not reg date. if it was built 2017 then no not affected. 

2017, yes affected. 

Mine is 2017 /06 and affecfed

2017 is affected

Let my Ford done last week. 

Currently driving 1 week and next week 2 days at dealer to do livelink testing by Ford 

Oh well, got my car booked in for this tomorrow morning.

I'm hoping it doesn't feel much slower once it's done.

It feels slow enough already now I've just put a standard Ford paper air filter back in after running a K&N E-9289 for the last 4yrs. I can't believe how much of a difference it makes, the car feels literally strangled with the standard filter.

I can't be bothered with the fault code and limp mode popping up when it feels like any more because of the K&N so I thought stick the original spec filter back in, get the software updates done and act my age lol.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2019 at 8:46 AM, TomsFocus said:

You're not 'entitled' to a courtesy car.  You can ask for one though, you'll have to pay insurance for it, but the main issue is availability, probably depends on location but it seems to be difficult to find courtesy cars at Ford dealers, with people often having to book weeks in advance if they want one.

Just to confirm, there is a physical mechanical slip test performed on the clutch.  If it passes the test (no slip) you get a software update.  If it fails the test, you get a new clutch fitted, and then the software update.  

Tomsfocus, how are the clutches slip tested mechanically? 

I have just had the clutch recall letter today for my  2017 Focus 1.5 150bhp I am not happy about the recall as I asked about the software update in August 2018 at the time of service I was told by my dealer my car is to effected. also I had some warranty work done in March 2019 and once again I was told your car is not effected with the clutch software recall.  So today I went to my dealer to book my car in for the software update and I was told today your is now effected and they need the car for half a day.

• Haha 1

Had mine done and to be honest I've not noticed any difference with regards to power loss and delivery. I've still not launched it off the line yet to see if thats affected but I need to stop doing that anyway lol so no big deal.

I have a 2016 1.0 125ps 6 speed, only got it last week, now I'm finding out of this recall, when I check the ETIS site it says nothing is outstanding on my car, does that mean the recall was already done? I wanted to bluechip it but now I'm not sure because if all they did was the software update and not a physical clutch change that means it could be a recipe for disaster with the extra power

Hi all,

So I have read the thread from start to finish. Here's the thing. I have a 11plate Mondeo, subject to this recall and at 95k miles I DO have a slipping clutch. Got my letter in January and due to a few life events haven't been to get the software done 

In my scenario what are they going to do? Update the software and send me on my way or advise a massive repair bill?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Pokelet said:

Hi all,

So I have read the thread from start to finish. Here's the thing. I have a 11plate Mondeo, subject to this recall and at 95k miles I DO have a slipping clutch. Got my letter in January and due to a few life events haven't been to get the software done 

In my scenario what are they going to do? Update the software and send me on my way or advise a massive repair bill?

Thanks

I didn't know the Mondeo was affected by this recall?  If it is the same recall, they manually test the clutch for slip and replace it free of charge before applying the update if it slips.

• Like 1

Yep, Mondeo and it's derived models have the recall. I have a 1.6 ecoboost Mondeo and Galaxy! Double fun for me!

How do they manually test it? Drive it or do something static in the workshop?

I'm guessing dealers charge the work back to Ford? Basically on a 95k mile car are they going to say wear and tear?

Cheers

3 hours ago, Pokelet said:

Yep, Mondeo and it's derived models have the recall. I have a 1.6 ecoboost Mondeo and Galaxy! Double fun for me!

How do they manually test it? Drive it or do something static in the workshop?

I'm guessing dealers charge the work back to Ford? Basically on a 95k mile car are they going to say wear and tear?

Cheers

Just a static clutch test, try and pull away in 3rd with the handbrake on and see if it slips.

It's a safety recall so mileage has no effect on it.  However they might try to sting you for other work at the same time...new dual mass flywheel maybe...

49 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Just a static clutch test, try and pull away in 3rd with the handbrake on and see if it slips.

It's a safety recall so mileage has no effect on it.  However they might try to sting you for other work at the same time...new dual mass flywheel maybe...

Yeah, new DMF at Ford prices would be interesting, stuff paying to fit it when they've got to take the damn thing out to do the clutch....

I'll give the slightly further away but nicer, non corporate dealer a bell tomorrow. In any case I thought a modern clutch would be good more more than 90k

Cheers 

54 minutes ago, Pokelet said:

Yeah, new DMF at Ford prices would be interesting, stuff paying to fit it when they've got to take the damn thing out to do the clutch....

I'll give the slightly further away but nicer, non corporate dealer a bell tomorrow. In any case I thought a modern clutch would be good more more than 90k

Cheers 

It depends on the clutch brand, model and how the car has been driven.  My 2005 MK2 Focus 1.8 TDCi is still on it's original LUK DMF and clutch @161K miles and it's only started rattling in the last 10K miles or so.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2019 at 7:28 PM, WES180 said:

now I've just put a standard Ford paper air filter back in after running a K&N E-9289 for the last 4yrs. I can't believe how much of a difference it makes, the car feels literally strangled with the standard filter.

I can't be bothered with the fault code and limp mode popping up when it feels like any more because of the K&N so I thought stick the original spec filter back in, get the software updates done and act my age lol.

WES180, may I ask is there a link to the K&N filter problem?  I had no idea there was a problem and that's got me a bit concerned since I fitted a K&N almost a year ago.

My car had a funny turn on the way home today, lumpy AF and rumbling with almost no power, sounded like a few spuds rattling in a bucket.  Had no warning lights pop up to indicate limp mode ?  Only thing I can think of is bad petrol from Jet garage after filling up this morning (coincidence?), noticed 1 slight judder going to work and then problems popped up on the way back, been faultless up until now.  Checked oil and water straight away - both fine.

I did check the trip computer earlier for faults but none show.

10 hours ago, 0shiny1 said:

WES180, may I ask is there a link to the K&N filter problem?  I had no idea there was a problem and that's got me a bit concerned since I fitted a K&N almost a year ago.

Which K&N have you fitted? I was running a E-9289 with the side bung removed for the additional induction roar and amplified blow off sounds. Others have had problems too but then with the bung replaced it sorted the issue. The E-2993 has a solid side with no removable bung.

Basically it seems that with the bung removed sometimes the cars don't like the extra air flow and think something is wrong so they drop into limp mode and flag up the Engine Malfunction service Now message.

e-9289.jpg.e65b374ae276fc6321228567e70decfc.jpg

3 hours ago, WES180 said:

Which K&N have you fitted? I was running a E-9289 with the side bung removed for the additional induction roar and amplified blow off sounds. Others have had problems too but then with the bung replaced it sorted the issue. The E-2993 has a solid side with no removable bung.

Basically it seems that with the bung removed sometimes the cars don't like the extra air flow and think something is wrong so they drop into limp mode and flag up the Engine Malfunction Service Now message.

e-9289.jpg.e65b374ae276fc6321228567e70decfc.jpg

Thank's for the info, much appreciated.  I fitted the E-2993 (without bung) almost 1 year ago. I think my current problem is unrelated to the air filter and something else is going on, idk what it is yet though.  Rough running after 5-6 miles, lack of power sounds like misfiring, fine once its stopped for a while then back to rough after 5-6 miles again..  Hopefully unrelated to this clutch recall software update.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi  all im very confused by my recent vist to a ford dealer for recall on clutch software. Soon after taking my car to them they sent me an email and video part of the email was telling me my clutch was slipping, not something I had noted prior?? Was it the SBD test at 3000 revs and 4th gear testing I wonder? I am confused as presumably the clutch slip test had failed and therefore the recall should have proceeded to step 9 clutch replacement ? Why did they attempt to charge me close to £1000 for this instead of doing it under step 9 of the recall? 

On 4/8/2019 at 9:46 PM, Scottc said:

Tomsfocus, how are the clutches slip tested mechanically? 

This helps me the clutch is tested under step 2 pin point test aka firmly applying parking break fully depressing clutch rev engine to 3000 placing into 4th gear releasing clutch in 2 seconds and if stalls all is apparently well if it does not stall then a SBD test is done and if indicated the clutch must be replaced under the recall. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club