Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford recall - software update clutch slip 18S07

granville_focus

14 hours ago, Middleman said:

I think you misunderstand the timeline. The recall was in late April and that was when the local Ford dealer did the test for a slipping clutch and put in the software mods. The day of my wife's motorway journey that I was talking about was 2 months later near the end of June, with another 1250 miles on the clock. In between there had been no signs or sounds of the clutch slipping (except when changing gear or pulling away of course).

It was in the evening during a short local journey on the day before the motorway journey that she saw the first one of those. I still have no idea what caused the clutch to start slipping but it was on an uphill stretch of road (probably about 1 in 20) and my wife might have changed gear. She cannot remember.

in late May, was to take a short break in the Lake district.  That was probably a better test than any dealer could have done at the recall, but it still does not help to find out why, a month later, the clutch first started slipping that evening on a much gentler slope.

OK, thanks for the timeline update.  and it failed at around 10k miles from brand new and you guys were the first owners?  which all seems a bit odd as you've been saying... 

If its a nice clean car and servicing was always done by a main dealer.  I think you need to start again, but dealing with a higher level than just the idiots at the helpline.  Maybe formulate one new complaint with clear timeline of the cars life - state the known failure modes ford has had that has led to the recall, and if possible the normal mileage most clutches reach before failure.  Also find what/how Ford resolved the same issues in USA and Australia (it will be much simpler, clearer and I expect involve lots of new free parts).  And set your stall out quoting various legislation there is here to help/protect consumers.  Then send it to the legal department stating you are taking them to the small claims court.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

The issue in the UK is we are directed / marketed to by idiots and we fall for it time after time.  All Media / TV is only designed to warp our brains.  We are just becoming down trodden slaves and everyone thinking standing up for rights, fairness, justice, retention of a functioning society is wrong (the clever bit is the people don't even realise that's what they are actively supporting) . We need to work together on class action law suits and screw the scum making billions ruining our lives / stealing the value created by our hard work.  Trouble is there is something in the phyche of the British that the "evil ones" worked out.  Over the last 70 years we have been slowly manipulated down a dangerous path.  Since the 50's when the masses had enough brains and power for good, we just let it slip through our fingers.. and Pandora's box is wide open and we are falling in to a cesspit of hell, smiling and believing that its never been better...

I think you need to judge if you are fighting (and thus have energy) now for the principle rather than the money.  The cost so far is about 800 quid (...and don't forget you have a new clutch and software to help it last) if others aren't interested in clubbing together prob not worth the stress in your life.

We have already sent a letter of complaint to the Manager of Ford Customer services about the handling of the case by them. This was because they were clearly ignoring the fact that the warranty conditions had changed and they were no longer allowed to reject our claim just because it was the clutch that had failed. They can only reject it if they can show that the failure was caused entirely by “Normal wear and tear”. It was obvious that the offer of a “Goodwill payment” because the clutch had failed so early was exactly the same as what had been offered in previous cases who had the warranty conditions that did allow Ford to refuse their claim just because it was the clutch that failed. Apart from that they have not supplied any evidence at all. I do know that they never came to look at the clutch and flywheel when it was stripped down by the local dealers. Nor did they look at the data from the software added at the Safety recall. All the warning messages about the clutch slipping were displayed in a 24 hour period. If that is recorded in the data then it is good evidence that the clutch failure was certainly not due to normal wear and tear. I realise though that I may still have to go to the Small Claims court to recover what we have already spent and what we may still have to pay to get a full clutch system fitted (including a new flywheel) should Ford Customer Services not relent.

I noticed that Ford UK have signed up to the Motor Industry Code of Practice who have their own complaints and investigation process. That may be the easiest way of making Ford change their ways.Has anyone else tried that?

I cannot agree with you that having the recall software fitted is a benefit for me. It seems to be that it could be a liability, a kind of  ticking time bomb. I gather that this clutch fire under the bonnet or flywheel shattering has never actually happened. It is just that some people think it might and could kill someone. .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 12:17 PM, Botus said:

OK, thanks for the timeline update...........  Also find what/how Ford resolved the same issues in USA and Australia (it will be much simpler, clearer and I expect involve lots of new free parts).........

Thanks for your suggestions Botus. I think I have found what I need  here 

https://www.motorsafety.org/ford-recalls-nearly-3000-focus-vehicles-due-to-potential-clutch-fracture/

As well as showing how the "solution" was presented to USA owners it has a useful timeline of the 18S07 recalls by both Ford Motor Company in US and by Ford of Europe over here. I checked that what is known as the 1.0L Fox GTDI engine with 6-speed manual transmission in US is the same as the Focus 1.0 Zetec edition 6Spd 125PS we ordered on the New Vehicle Invoice. I found the Engine family list  helpful  at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoBoost_engine

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2019 at 1:16 PM, Mr Toad said:

I had the 18s07 clutch recall in February 2019 - I posted my views after this time. I now estimate the drop in power to be about 20-25 bhp after this software change.

I know it to be that much because I was running (and still am) Bluefin & K&N 57S-4000 Airbox which was giving me an extra 20-25bhp. The power now is the same as when I bought the car new and before the Bluefin/K&N mods - that is 182bhp. I believe that your car has suffered due to Ford's 18s07 software change.

I don't have a fuel smell so as you say , this could be another problem.

Sorry, just seen your reply. I contacted the dealer soon after posting this and they told me to return it the following week. Unfortunately it broke down a couple of days later so we had it recovered to them. Seems they pinched the gasket when replacing it! I now have the car back and it drives much better.

I wont go in to the fact that it took them 5 weeks to get the car back.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I have had my 2014 1.0 Focus eco boost near on three years.

I have just found this recall online.

My situation is two years ago I have a new clutch put in at about 50,000 miles. It was gutting but not a shocker as my car was previously a hire car (naive purchase). Fast forward 25,000 miles and my car is currently in the garage having another new clutch!!

Could this be related to this software? 

All the software does (in simple terms) is put a warning up on the dashboard and reduce the power output of the engine when it detects clutch slip. The clutch is controlled by the driver's foot via a hydraulic link, not by a computer. The short life of the new clutch might be caused by driving style, poor quality clutch components, or incorrect fitting when the clutch was last changed, it won't be caused by software.

• Like 1

deleted

Edited by Charlie83
missed the quote.

1 hour ago, pcaouolte said:

All the software does (in simple terms) is put a warning up on the dashboard and reduce the power output of the engine when it detects clutch slip. The clutch is controlled by the driver's foot via a hydraulic link, not by a computer. The short life of the new clutch might be caused by driving style, poor quality clutch components, or incorrect fitting when the clutch was last changed, it won't be caused by software.

Thank you, puts my mind at rest from that point of view. I don't drive aggresively, at least I don't think so. Will see how the next 20,000 miles go!!

Some garages use poor quality parts when they replace clutches. There are several makes that will fit (Ford don't make them). Someone more knowledgeable can help with good or bad makes as I have never had a clutch fitted to any car (despite some doing over 100,000 miles).

On 12/2/2019 at 3:05 PM, pcaouolte said:

Some garages use poor quality parts when they replace clutches. There are several makes that will fit (Ford don't make them). Someone more knowledgeable can help with good or bad makes as I have never had a clutch fitted to any car (despite some doing over 100,000 miles).

LUK, Valeo, Sachs = good quality/OEM grade...these brand supply most of the clutches fitted in the factory by most manufacturers.

Transmech/Unbranded eBay specials = Might as well fit a DairyLea cheese triangle instead of a new clutch, it will perform about as effectively.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I have just had a recall notice for my 1.0l 6 speed.  I don't know about any other drivers out there, but I know that I don't need any software to tell me if and when I get a slipping clutch. My car is well out of warranty and I personally would rather not have it tinkered around with, when there is currently nothing wrong.  If and when I notice the first signs of my clutch slipping, I will get the clutch renewed.  It's not rocket science.

My thoughts exactly.  Last time my Focus went in for a recall, something to do with the coolant, it came back sounding 'different'.  When I took it back Ford told me it needed a new idler pulley.  I pointed out I would be an amazing coincidence, but they insisted it was unrelated and it would cost about £100 to put right.  It was taken back in, then they admitted they hadn't lined up something correctly and sorted it free of charge, as indeed they should have done so.

5 hours ago, Chris Nine said:

I have just had a recall notice for my 1.0l 6 speed.  I don't know about any other drivers out there, but I know that I don't need any software to tell me if and when I get a slipping clutch. My car is well out of warranty and I personally would rather not have it tinkered around with, when there is currently nothing wrong.  If and when I notice the first signs of my clutch slipping, I will get the clutch renewed.  It's not rocket science.

I'm sorry I got mine done, there was nothing wrong with it before it went in and I'm sure they damaged the clutch 'testing' it. Since then every now and again I get clutch judder, which is much worse in reverse. 🤔

• 10 months later...

Hello had my Ford Focus software updated for clutch problem ,but when in Cornwall went up a very steep hill and the car did not want to go up when i did get to the top the smell of burning clutch was bad.I noticed the recall stated that if clucth was to be replaced Ford would cover all costs 

Oh forgot to add had a ford focus 02 plate that did over 200000 miles never changed the clutch ,not inpressed with Ford uk this should have been New clutch installed but as i found Ford Dealers are usless and this was never highlighted in recall to customers

• Sad 1

people drive badly, that's the start of the clutch problem.  but the real issue came 30 to 40 years ago... rather than having a childhood and doing stuff in a shed with pram wheels and some wood, and then escalating on to a motorcycle - their pathetic parents allowed them to waste 15 years on a PS4 thinking they are Schumacher’s' protégée and then joined a Gym to tone their pathetic little bodies (which is the first time they interacted with something mechanical)

Its not politically acceptable, but women who can't be bothered to use the handbrake to hold on a hill and slip the clutch instead of changing in to second, should be forced to do the job of swapping out a clutch at home, in the winter, when its damp and freezing.... then they'd have a little more understanding what a ***** job it is and pay it half the respect it deserves...

the other issue (again driven mainly by women) is people want the clutch weight of a 1 ltr micra and drive so badly they need the power of a 3 ltr  =  clutch problems

• Like 1

On 12/29/2020 at 5:08 PM, t-rex said:

Hello had my Ford Focus software updated for clutch problem ,but when in Cornwall went up a very steep hill and the car did not want to go up when i did get to the top the smell of burning clutch was bad.I noticed the recall stated that if clucth was to be replaced Ford would cover all costs 

How long ago was the recall done?  They'll only cover the cost of the clutch if it was slipping at the point of recall.

• 3 years later...

Good morning,got my test today ,and im eligible for a cluch replacement. But I also been quoted for 700 pounds if the flywheel is also damaged, they said is not covered by recall

My question is : if the cluch had problems, did it affect also the flywheel and shouldn't they cover the expense? 

a flywheel doesn't cost that - and the testing regime WILL put a lot of marks and stress on the flywheel - so likely they ALWAYS say it will need one to all customers

do the maths and you have paid ALL the costs of a full clutch and flywheel at ford internal rates and $50 an hour for 4 hrs labour = you paid for a clutch - but it will be done with ford parts, ford warranty and allegedly by a skilled tech

= go for it, still a bargain !!!    

(in a concise polite manner) you could try and tell the service / garage boss - you understand the fault ford built the the car with (hence why there's a recall), means any slip your car had will have created wear and the testing doing the recall will certainly make marks on the flywheel - so you are concerned after all that why you'd be making a cost contribution towards Fords Mistake  - then hope he / she was in a good mood....

If you pay - say you want PHOTOGRAPHS OF THE OLD PART (in fact if you pay its yours so get the part !!!) then just go to the small claims court and get the money back - no judge can not see the game ford are playing

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club