granville_focus

Ford recall - software update clutch slip 18S07

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Liam40 said:

Hi,

I’ve just registered for the Ford Pass App and when I put my VIN number in, it showed my Focus details and also showed that it had a recall on it for the software for the clutch slip. I also checked .gov for any recall and it showed a recall on my car. I’ve had no letter from Ford about this recall.

Can anyone tell me if this software update is important/very important and needs urgently doing. The reason I ask is I’m going on holiday next weekend and will be driving down to Cornwall. I’ve noticed from other replies on this thread, Ford can’t book recalls in for a month or so, hence another reason why I ask if this software update is urgent.

What did we do when we didn’t have software to detect clutch slip and adjust for it. We had driver human instincts then and surely there was still the risk of clutch slip and damage, but did it cause a risk of fire.

Liam.

Phone your local dealer and see if you can get it done before your holiday, they may not all have such a long wait.  If not, it's not a huge problem, you seem like someone with enough mechanical understanding not to keep slipping the clutch anyway lol...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

In my opinion this recall is not majorly important.

The affected vehicles have a clutch that can break/shatter as a result of overheating when the clutch is slipping for an excessive amount of time.  The broken pieces of the friction plate can damage the gearbox and cause an oil leak. The combination of an oil leak and a hot exhaust is a safety risk. This is the reason why the recall is performed.

The recall does not have a technical reason. The recall is only performed because a possible safety risk that can occur in extreme situations. It does not affect the functionality of the clutch.


On vehicles with Stop/Start a clutch (slippage) test is performed during the recall and new PCM software is installed. The new PCM software that is installed during the recall detects clutch slippage. If the PCM detects a slipping clutch for a certain period the engine power is reduced drastically and an engine malfunction message is shown on the instrument cluster display. This prevents the owner from driving the car with a worn clutch.

On vehicles without Stop/Start (very rare) the clutch is replaced as a preventive measure. There is no new software available that detects clutch slippage for these vehicles (probably because the really low numbers of vehicles without Stop/Start).


If you have the capability to detect clutch slippage yourself the recall does not add much. 


My car is also one of the affected vehicles. Performing the recall on my car is basically a waste of time. I am running on a custom PCM software version (a slightly modified version of the original MK3.5 140 HP software). Next to this I am perfectly capable to detect clutch slippage myself.

 

 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed. I personally would not have booked the car in for this. In my opinion it is probably best to leave it for as long as possible to increase the chance that the clutch will fail the slip test and Ford would pay for the clutch replacement.

Mine was done as part of a scheduled service at a Ford dealer. When the dealer printed the service schedule from their system there was a big note at the top with words to the effect of "Ensure software update for clutch slip 18S07 is carried out." I didn't ask for it to be done.

I have driven manual cars for over 30 years and have owned several that have done more than 100k miles without needing clutch replacements. It's pretty unlikely that I'm going to slip this one to the point of destruction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Phone your local dealer and see if you can get it done before your holiday, they may not all have such a long wait.  If not, it's not a huge problem, you seem like someone with enough mechanical understanding not to keep slipping the clutch anyway lol...

Hi Tom,

Why haven’t you got your Focus anymore?

Liam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Liam40 said:

Hi Tom,

Why haven’t you got your Focus anymore?

Liam.

Because it was one of the worst cars I've ever bought, prefacelift 1.6TDCi...  Currently on the lookout for a facelift 1.0EB Titanium asap, but my budget won't stretch nearly as far as I was hoping... :sad: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Because it was one of the worst cars I've ever bought, prefacelift 1.6TDCi...  Currently on the lookout for a facelift 1.0EB Titanium asap, but my budget won't stretch nearly as far as I was hoping... :sad: 

Oh ok. Hope you find a facelift 1.0EB Titanium that fits into your budget soon Tom.!

Liam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this going to affect my bluefin?

Should I restore the original settings before going for a software update?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Pebbleheed said:

Is this going to affect my bluefin?

Should I restore the original settings before going for a software update?

Yes, they'll wipe the Bluefin if you leave it on.  After the update, you'll need to copy the new map and have Bluefin send you an updated version.  The 'new' software will be wiped off if you just reinstall your current Bluefin map.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Yes, they'll wipe the Bluefin if you leave it on.  After the update, you'll need to copy the new map and have Bluefin send you an updated version.  The 'new' software will be wiped off if you just reinstall your current Bluefin map.

agree, remove bluefin map. get recall software update. then when you connect bluefin the map wont install as the software file id wont match up. 

follow the instructions on the handset to upload the later software file off the car, contact bluefin customer support and explain the recall. they will allow there servers to recieve the file, modify it and resend it back to you for handset.

reconnect handset and upload to car again. 

ive done  this 3 times now. everytime theres a pcm update i do it. 

everytime it seems to drive better or could be my imagination. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Guys

This thread is great, thanks all of you for sharing this great info. I'm one of a victim of this clutch issue.
I've just arranged an appointment on October 1st. Just FYI, I'm living in Italy. I will update here IF that magical software detects this clutch problem. I just got 18,xxxx km and I don't feel any clutch issue. (I don't have much experience in driving. This is my 2nd car) Will see. 

 

Thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have had an annual service today at dealers, I had seen this thread prior to going so half expected it to be flagged up.

When booking in they said it was on the recall list and the upgrade was included in the service.

I hadn't had a letter or any other notification, and hadn't had any problems.

My TitX 1.0 has always flagged a change of gear over 15000 revs.

Pickled car up after mornings work, all seems well so far.

It wasn't recorded in the paperwork though?
Was told that it was referred to Ford for payment of the work, so not itemized on my bill? Didn't get the usual sheet of work done or video either.

Anyone know if this software upgrade has any link to Sync or is it purely engine management?

Cheers.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine was done about 3 weeks ago. Etis now says there are no outstanding field service actions. It did remain showing as outstanding for a couple of weeks after it was done.

My paperwork showed the service action required at the top of the normal service sheet but there was no tick to say that it had been done. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, TitXlover said:

My TitX 1.0 has always flagged a change of gear over 15000 revs.

I'm surprised it doesn't wave a white flag as well! 😮

I always thought it was based on the gear you were in, compared to the speed because if you start to accelerate after the change up icon appears it goes off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gitfinger said:

I'm surprised it doesn't wave a white flag as well! 😮

I always thought it was based on the gear you were in, compared to the speed because if you start to accelerate after the change up icon appears it goes off.

Lol, no wonder these 1.0s are so nippy revving to 15000 rpm!

The change indicator is based on load as well as speed.  A bit more throttle or hitting a hill just as you're on the cusp of a change up will remove the icon, it's a reasonably smart system tbf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2018 at 8:43 PM, iantt said:

agree, remove bluefin map. get recall software update. then when you connect bluefin the map wont install as the software file id wont match up. 

follow the instructions on the handset to upload the later software file off the car, contact bluefin customer support and explain the recall. they will allow there servers to recieve the file, modify it and resend it back to you for handset.

reconnect handset and upload to car again. 

ive done  this 3 times now. everytime theres a pcm update i do it. 

everytime it seems to drive better or could be my imagination. 

Thanks for the advise, it came in handy for me as I had the recall done today. Superchips were very helpful and had no issues with sorting out the servers for my unit.

All went well, thankfully, and to my surprise the clutch peddle felt firmer and as you said after putting the new map on it does seem to drive better!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished the software upgrade. drove around 60 km moderate. Nothing special, also they didn't give me any paper, They said I will receive a letter future. 

 

Thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello guys

dont know if this related to clutch problem. But after that software update I’m noticing strong burning smell coming out from engine compartment. Today I checked any fluid leak or something. Didn’t noticed anything. Also hard acceleration in 1st gear I’m nothing slight vibration. Is any one having this kind of issue? No check engine light.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2018 at 6:32 PM, pcaouolte said:

Mine was done about 3 weeks ago. Etis now says there are no outstanding field service actions. It did remain showing as outstanding for a couple of weeks after it was done.

My paperwork showed the service action required at the top of the normal service sheet but there was no tick to say that it had been done. 

 

After that update and clutch test, do you had clutch burn smell? I have and I went back to the ford. They said it due to the test they carried out. This is 5th day and still I’m having that smell. It’s bothering me a lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Shashi Fernando said:

After that update and clutch test, do you had clutch burn smell? I have and I went back to the ford. They said it due to the test they carried out. This is 5th day and still I’m having that smell. It’s bothering me a lot. 

I don't have any burning smell. When the Ford dealer does the update they are supposed to test the clutch, if the clutch is slipping they are supposed to replace it at no cost to you. I have never known a clutch to smell if it is not slipping. Take it back again and insist that they fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like that dealer was a bit over-enthusiastic testing the clutch. I wouldn't be happy with any dealer deliberately slipping the clutch to the point where it starts burning. I would write a formal letter of complaint to their service manager making it clear that if the clutch fails because of what they've done you'll expect them to replace it free of charge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2018 at 8:59 AM, pcaouolte said:

I don't have any burning smell. When the Ford dealer does the update they are supposed to test the clutch, if the clutch is slipping they are supposed to replace it at no cost to you. I have never known a clutch to smell if it is not slipping. Take it back again and insist that they fix it.

Yes I went back. Master technician came to me and explains they test the clutch, smell will go away in a couple of days. After he drive the car again with me couple of kilometers. As he said now that smell not much. looks like my clutch were in good shape, during that software upgrade and test they managed to reduced the life of my clutch. 😢

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2018 at 11:39 AM, mjt said:

Sounds like that dealer was a bit over-enthusiastic testing the clutch. I wouldn't be happy with any dealer deliberately slipping the clutch to the point where it starts burning. I would write a formal letter of complaint to their service manager making it clear that if the clutch fails because of what they've done you'll expect them to replace it free of charge.

Yes you are right. Thanks for the opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm m currently at ford in Stockport waiting for my 18S07 - CLUTCH SLIP DETECTION SOFTWARE to be done on my ford focus Titanium X 1.6scti will let you all know what the do as I've heard some horror stories of power loss,the mechanic at ford Stockport says they've had no issues with the recall but we shall see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now