Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford recall - software update clutch slip 18S07

granville_focus

"I always think that nice clean cars get treated better than filthy ones so I like to give it a good clean before it goes in for a service. They probably don't get treated any differently but then there's also the embarrassment factor of handing over my keys knowing it's rotten if I don't do it! "

I know what you mean. I normally clean mine for MOT also. I know it should not matter but you don't want the tester's first reaction and frame of mind being ' what's this heap of old s**t'

Well, I dropped my car off at 09:30 and then took my wife to work in her car. At 2pm it was time to pick my wife up and still not heard from the dealership. I picked her up and said just drop me at the garage and I will wait there if it's not done.

Spotting my car had moved from where I parked it I thought great, must be finished, errrr NO!

They hadn't even done it because the dealership changed owners this week and they were unable to log on to the Ford database under the new contract!

The most annoying part was they never even rang me as soon as this was discovered so I could have my car back.

Oh well, try again in February when I'm next off work.

I phoned my dealer before Xmas to book mine in, they said they will contact me. Haven't heard since!  Perhaps your dealer & mine can't be bothered to do it !

We have the same engine, are you using Superchips Bluefin?

12 minutes ago, Mr Toad said:

I phoned my dealer before Xmas to book mine in, they said they will contact me. Haven't heard since!  Perhaps your dealer & mine can't be bothered to do it !

We have the same engine, are you using Superchips Bluefin?

I haven't bought Bluefin this time due to it only giving 20bhp. I think people that have it are reloading the original map for Ford's software update then contacting Superchips for an updated Bluefin version before reinstalling it.

The only engine mod I have is a K&N filter which makes such a difference on my car v's the original paper filter.

Bluefin will take 1 second of your 0-60 time and will really put a smile on your face! It's worth it. 

11 minutes ago, Mr Toad said:

Bluefin will take 1 second of your 0-60 time and will really put a smile on your face! It's worth it. 

So does leaving my wife at home instead of her being in the passenger seat! 🤣

Have you got the K&N too? The standard Ford unit feels sooo restrictive compared to it even though they reckon it's good for upto 300bhp. It sounds great with the side bung removed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/9289-Replacement-Air-Filter/dp/B00CR9WY38

• Thanks 2

Agreed, but the extra 1 second pins her more in the seat and she seems to enjoy it!

Yes I have K&N fitted. It apparently adds about 5bhp. I put this on before Bluefin and felt that 5bhp weight balanced out having a light to medium partner as a passenger. I always have the side bung removed - only put it in for MOT tests.

After the K&N I installed Bluefin, this made it an very enjoyable car to drive. Bluefin claim that it can make cars more economical. My fuel consumption is about the same but considering I am enjoying the increased acceleration, I consider this worthwhile.

Edited by Mr Toad
Morre information

I only just got the product recall letter in December so took the car in today although it turns out the software update was done in with the service in September. The problem is a month after the service a small knocking sound started when the engine shuts down. Took it in today and they are saying the flywheel needs replacing. It's only done 24k miles mostly long distance driving. I'm worried this is a result of the clutch/transmission problem but they want £1000 to fix it. Has anybody else had similar problems? I'm absolutely fuming as the 'clutch was fine in the service'.

• Thanks 1

I’ve had the 17S09 and 18S07 work done very close together. 

I have noticed that, these days, since both, on a cold start then the first time I really put my foot down in 2nd, 3rd or 4th then it feels like there is less power, much less, for a very short while and then a surge. 

Makes me wonder about the torque reduction in the update and if it’s linked. 

Like extreme turbo lag. Or like no turbo. But then it’s fine afterwards, even when cold still, after the first time this has happened.  

Might be unrelated. Would only be the 53rd issue with this Focus since new. 

13 hours ago, iZian said:

don't buy a Mercedes then !

if you thinks that bad, 53 from starting today would be one of the more successful trips in their rubbish

22 hours ago, Therealmgardner said:

I only just got the product recall letter in December so took the car in today although it turns out the software update was done in with the service in September. The problem is a month after the service a small knocking sound started when the engine shuts down. Took it in today and they are saying the flywheel needs replacing. It's only done 24k miles mostly long distance driving. I'm worried this is a result of the clutch/transmission problem but they want £1000 to fix it. Has anybody else had similar problems? I'm absolutely fuming as the 'clutch was fine in the service'. 

Sorry to hear this, I have a low mileage 1.6T and awaiting the18S07 recall. There's some speculation about whether these failures are due to the pressure plate or the friction disc (the friction disc is often known as the clutch plate because it goes between the heavy engine flywheel and lighter pressure plate on the other side which is operated by the clutch pedal). It seems that either your pressure plate or friction disc has failed which has then damaged your flywheel. Ford will have to replace your flywheel, friction disc and pressure plate.

Mine hasn't failed yet, but as this is gaining a number of disgruntled owners, I think you should try to take this up with Ford as it has failed after the 18S07 recall. I will if and when it happens to me.    

Thanks Mr Toad. I rang them up today and made a complaint. Having read more and more threads and forums I now realise I'm not alone and others have complained of similar issues. Whether Ford take this seriously is another matter but they can't deny that there is a fault somewhere. No way should a flywheel go after 24,000 miles when there have been no other signs of problems (clutch slip, burning smell, increased vibration etc). I also want to know why they are only telling me to replace the flywheel and not the clutch at the same time? It just doesn't add up.

My biggest concern (only having limited knowledge on cars) is whether the car is still safe to drive as I doubt the ongoing arguments with Ford are going to quick and concise!

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:19 AM, Therealmgardner said:

Thanks Mr Toad. I rang them up today and made a complaint. Having read more and more threads and forums I now realise I'm not alone and others have complained of similar issues. Whether Ford take this seriously is another matter but they can't deny that there is a fault somewhere. No way should a flywheel go after 24,000 miles when there have been no other signs of problems (clutch slip, burning smell, increased vibration etc). I also want to know why they are only telling me to replace the flywheel and not the clutch at the same time? It just doesn't add up.

My biggest concern (only having limited knowledge on cars) is whether the car is still safe to drive as I doubt the ongoing arguments with Ford are going to quick and concise!

To my mind, the flywheel can only be damaged by wear or failure of the friction plate or pressure plate . Ford may be saying it's the flywheel to deflect attention away from the pressure plate which may be substandard. I would be extremely surprised if Ford didn't replace the clutch parts after taking it all apart (I would insist).

Either way, this needs to be investigated asap, because as explained in the recall letter, failure of the pressure plate could also damage the transmission housing and more. 

Good luck with your claim for compensation (don't accept verbal replies get it all in writing). 

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:09 PM, iZian said:

I’ve had the 17S09 and 18S07 work done very close together. 

I have noticed that, these days, since both, on a cold start then the first time I really put my foot down in 2nd, 3rd or 4th then it feels like there is less power, much less, for a very short while and then a surge. 

Makes me wonder about the torque reduction in the update and if it’s linked. 

Like extreme turbo lag. Or like no turbo. But then it’s fine afterwards, even when cold still, after the first time this has happened.  

I feel my car has slightly more power on very cold days, which I put down to cold air being denser than warm. It's the same principle why intercoolers are fitted to performance cars. I'm not sure if this is the effect you have or if its totally due to 18S07 - which I haven't had done yet.

Dual mass flywheels can easily be damaged by labouring an engine, that's what causes the wear resulting in a rattling/shuddering DMF.

The software update does reduce torque partly to help with the clutch & DMF and partly to reduce the emissions, the majority of people won't drive hard enough to notice this though which is why you'll find a lot of people saying there's no difference on their car.

21 hours ago, Mr Toad said:

I feel my car has slightly more power on very cold days, which I put down to cold air being denser than warm. It's the same principle why intercoolers are fitted to performance cars. I'm not sure if this is the effect you have or if its totally due to 18S07 - which I haven't had done yet.

I thought that. But really, when the surge happens it’s more like going back to normal. (I have the 182) it feels like the turbo finally decides to wake up or I get 4 cylinders working instead of 2 or 3. This is a 1.6L 2012 so no cylinder shutdown. 

But I do not think it’s turbo related. I tried it at very low RPM yesterday, below turbo, like 1100 and instead of a slow and low pull, it just felt like I wasn’t putting my foot down at all and there was judder. 

They had to replace cylinder head with 17S09 but there’s no fluid going missing at all. 

I only noticed after 18S07 for the clutch, but then again that’s when weather started getting colder so perhaps I’m barking up the wrong software update. 

Worth noting but not sure if I’ll make a thread, the 17S09 software update moved the exterior temp to the top left of the driver’s screen and since then when the temperature is cold and the amber frost glyph is shown, when it drops below freezing it no longer changes to a red glyph. 

So Ford’s attempts at software are far from perfect. My driver side screen has crashed a few times on startup and rebooted. 

I think my next car can’t be a Ford, my anxiety can’t take it. 

Edited by iZian
Added extra info

The frost warning no longer changing to red is a conscious decision from Ford. Apparently the red warning light was causing some people to take the car back to the dealer to have the problem identified!

29 minutes ago, pcaouolte said:

The frost warning no longer changing to red is a conscious decision from Ford. Apparently the red warning light was causing some people to take the car back to the dealer to have the problem identified!

Funny you should mention that, when I 1st bought my MK2 the wife range me at work for exactly that reason! :wallbash:

On 1/8/2019 at 1:06 PM, TomsFocus said:

Dual mass flywheels can easily be damaged by labouring an engine, that's what causes the wear resulting in a rattling/shuddering DMF.

The software update does reduce torque partly to help with the clutch & DMF and partly to reduce the emissions, the majority of people won't drive hard enough to notice this though which is why you'll find a lot of people saying there's no difference on their car.

I love launching my car off the line when I can, especially at a local set of traffic lights on a 40 road that then opens up to 70mph on the other side of them. That pretty much seems the only fun i can have in it now without risking points. I think I might skip the update after all the negative comments and let the next owner get it done later this year.

On the offchance that someone might know, does anyone know what my car paint colour is? It's a 2002 ford fiesta 5 door. Colour code 61. It's like it doesn't exist. The VIN number is older than records on a few websites tried and said that couldn't help me. 

Also what does tags mean after you've filled in your title when you want to start a new topic
  • Confused 1

Hi Everyone,

I’m still waiting for Ford to contact me and recall my Focus and have the work done. I know it’s one of the affected ones. 

Will they bother to write or phone me to recall it or have I got to ring them.??

Liam.

7 hours ago, Liam40 said:

Hi Everyone,

I’m still waiting for Ford to contact me and recall my Focus and have the work done. I know it’s one of the affected ones. 

Will they bother to write or phone me to recall it or have I got to ring them.??

Liam.

I had a letter through the post for both recalls.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Liam40 said:

Hi Everyone,

Liam.

They stagger the letters due to the number of affected vehicles, they can't cope with the demand of having thousands of extra vehicles come in at once.  You should get one eventually, but as you'll have to book in yourself anyway, there is no need to wait for the letter if you want it done.  

21 hours ago, pcaouolte said:

20 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

Funny you should mention that, when I 1st bought my MK2 the wife range me at work for exactly that reason! :wallbash:

Oh really?. I actually took mine into the dealership because it didn’t change to red anymore! Lord above. 

I give up. They should really give release notes to people like me when they put new software in. They moved the temperature, changed the warning glyphs, moved the system warnings into the information section, fixed the speed warning being in kph not mph, fixed forward alert not displaying or chiming after a previous alert. 

But didn’t fix the HID lights that auto level just pointing at the sky if the first time they turn on automatically or manually in a journey is when you’re stopped with the engine off after a stop/start system engine stop. Maybe I should make a thread about that asking if anyone else noticed that. It’s a software bug they refused to fix, levelling system disabled after a stop but first time lights on try to test the level causing a position zero, the sky, and that doesn’t reset or level again until engine off and in again. 

8 minutes ago, iZian said:

Oh really?. I actually took mine into the dealership because it didn’t change to red anymore! Lord above. 

I give up. They should really give release notes to people like me when they put new software in. They moved the temperature, changed the warning glyphs, moved the system warnings into the information section, fixed the speed warning being in kph not mph, fixed forward alert not displaying or chiming after a previous alert. 

But didn’t fix the HID lights that auto level just pointing at the sky if the first time they turn on automatically or manually in a journey is when you’re stopped with the engine off after a stop/start system engine stop. Maybe I should make a thread about that asking if anyone else noticed that. It’s a software bug they refused to fix, levelling system disabled after a stop but first time lights on try to test the level causing a position zero, the sky, and that doesn’t reset or level again until engine off and in again. 

Unlike computer motherboard manufacturers and such like, car manufacturers in general seem to like to keep their "software" as close to their chests as possible, meaning most of us are left in the dark.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club