Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Faulty Powershift Gearboxes & clutches

Jofocus

I purchased a Ford Focus 2015 Powershift automatic 1.6 petrol estate 20K miles with a full Ford main dealer service history just over a month ago from a (non Ford) main dealer with a warranty. After driving the car I felt a shuddering on the clutch, an apparent Ford fault issue, that I have since researched on the internet that is well known and documented on Powershift models. In fact I have read in the press that Ford have recently been fined $10 million dollars in Australia for unconscionable conduct in failing to deal with this issue and extended the warranties. Ford have apparently now stopped making these dry dual clutches. 

I have taken my Focus into Fords who have tested it on diagnostics and have found the clutch parameters are a lot higher than Fords threshold and stated it needs a new clutch pack costing £1,127 fitted.  It is probably leaking fluid onto the clutch plate causing the shudder and needs the newly manufactured replacement Ford clutch pack fitting.  The Ford garage has contacted Ford UK and despite the well known faults (and recent fine in Australia) have point blank refused to pay for the replacement clutch pack stating the Ford warranty expired in March of this year !!

Does anyone have any further advice or know of any Ford UK senior people / departments who would reconsider this decision ?

With thanks

i would ask the dealer you bought it off what they are going to do about it, its them that need to cough up for repairs or hand them the car back and have a refund. 

• Thanks 1

As above, it’s all about who sold you the car when it comes to legal rights. 

How they repair it is up to them but they must wear the costs. 

I could recite the various legal points but at this stage it may be unnecessary. Contact the seller first and ask them to foot the repair bill. 

Thanks guys I am waiting for the response from the non Ford dealer I bought my focus from. My question and point I am making is why isn't Ford taking responsibility for their faulty Powershift gearboxes/clutches issues in U.K. (like they have been made to do in Australia) and making good ? It should be replaced free of charge by them ?

I contacted Ford UK customer services today myself and they didn't want to know. They said they could not discuss the issue any further with me as it had been dealt with by the dealership with the warranty dept. ! I feel this is absolute disgusting customer service and a fine example of not valuing their customers. I have never experienced this from any other car manufacturer and sadly will NEVER buy another Ford again. 

I'm not seeing the issue here...the car is out of manufacturer warranty, Ford are no longer obliged to fix it and unless they're legally forced to by the UK gov't, aren't going to spend thousands fixing lots of cars that they don't absolutely have to.

They're not interested in customers, none of the manufacturers are, it's a major business, purely about profits.  They're also not going to be bothered by losing one customer, particularly one that didn't even buy the car from them.

I'm on a lot of forums and see the same issues happening with most manufacturers, poor customer service etc...  On every site I see people saying they'll never buy an XXXXX make again....and move to one of the others that are just as bad lol.  Just for example, VW are currently selling cars with known seatbelt issues...they're just fitting a sticker on the dash telling customers not to use the affected belt for now. :laugh: 

The issue, irrespective of the car being out of its Ford warranty by 4 months when purchased & only 20K miles, is Ford built a car with a defective Powershift system, are fully aware of it & despite being fined for ignoring customers & made to make amends in Australia, continue to do so in U.K. That is acceptable as a brand ?

I have had BMW, Audi, VW & Vauxhall cars and NEVER experienced anything other than 1st class service & customer aftercare. They have always gone over & above and I never had to go 2 days without a car (to date as no courtesy cars & have to insure them too with Fords!). 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club