Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drive away locking

KugaEdge

It really annoys me that the Edge (and the other half's Kuga for that matter) do not have drive away locking enabled and no facility to enable it from the car or at a dealer. Research shows that Ford removed this option from most of their range for European markets some years ago because of worries about exiting a locked vehicle in the event of an accident. Which, incidentally, is unbelievable given that practically every other manufacturer that sells cars in Europe offers this option. These are modern cars - the car knows exactly when it's involved in an accident - it's easy to send a door unlock signal on crash detection. Further research shows that the Edge almost certainly does support this feature, indeed it may even be available in other markets, it's just that there is no way of a user enabling it through the standard user controls in European models.

So the question is, what diagnostic/programming equipment is required and how much skill is needed to do it? Anybody any ideas?

Well I think I've found the answer to my own question . I need a copy of ForScan software and a compatible ELM327 adaptor to enable the functionality in the BCM. Anyone done it on an Edge or Kuga?

Ahh, this old forum chestnut. I too would like drive away locking but have mixed reports about how easy it is to enable. Some say its easy, some say it's not. I did read somewhere about an immobilised vehicle after a ForScan attempt.

Go for it and let me know, I'll be your second Guinea Pig!

In fact, if you get it to work, and your Edge still works afterwards, I'll meet with you and I'll pay you to do it to offset some of the cost of the ODB Dongle and Software.

What you think?

Hamster

That scares me slightly. Do you recall if the bricked vehicle was due simply to trying to configure with Forscan or specifically when trying to enable the auto lock? Mind, so many iffy ELM327 adaptors out there that could also have been the issue.

I've shelled out for a USB adapter specifically tested and reported as working by Forscan.

Messing with the BCM is always going to carry some risk I suppose!

Seems others have got it to work on mk3 focus and latest Kuga. Any particular reason why the Edge might be more tricky?

I don't really know, I meet quite a few Ford technicians, some say it's OK but others say its a mistake to mess about with Ford Software Coding. I tried to enable Drive Away Locking on a previous Kuga of mine and it didn't work so i gave up. Things are more complicated now.

Others on these very forums say its OK.

But I've also seen a few bricks..........................................

Make of that, what you will!!

🙂

H

As long as you make a backup of your asbuilt data then you generally can't go wrong. On most cars it's a case of selecting an option from a drop-down menu and pressing save. 

Eugene, that process doesn't work if it's turned off in the car's configuration in the various ECUs (which it is for almost all modern European specification  Fords, including the Edge). 

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:15 PM, Luke4efc said:

As long as you make a backup of your asbuilt data then you generally can't go wrong. On most cars it's a case of selecting an option from a drop-down menu and pressing save. 

Sadly on the newest Fords there is no central configuration file so no easy drop down lists, it's a case of finding  and manually altering the hex bits for the relevant ECUs. Even though I have spent hours scouring forums, the US Fusion (aka Mondeo) forum has the most info, (same platform car as the Edge) but there is no definitive answer. Many suggestions but not definitive. My ELM327 interface will be here soon and using  Forscan I can play. Here's hoping I don't brick it somehow. Fortunately Ford make all the as built files available to download by VIN.

• 1 month later...

So it's done. After a lot of practice goes and familiarising myself with the OBD adapter (OBDLink MX) and the software (Forscan) I've edited the relevant settings in the BCM and IPC modules and drive away locking now is enabled and working with no unforeseen consequences. It's not for the feint hearted however.

I've wanted auto lock to work on the Edge ever since I bought it and frankly couldn't believe that Ford had removed this feature from all of their European models. I'm very happy that it's now enabled.

As it happens I changed the three flash indicators to four flash indicators as my trial run to make sure I was happy with the programming process.

5 hours ago, KugaEdge said:

I've wanted auto lock to work on the Edge ever since I bought it and frankly couldn't believe that Ford had removed this feature from all of their European models. I'm very happy that it's now enabled.

I was under the impression that it is not allowed in the EU for safety reasons. Yes, you'll get carjacked at traffic lights! (for which you can manually lock them) lol, but in the event of an accident, the emergency services need to get you out, which is difficult if the doors are always locked!

5 minutes ago, simonb65 said:

I was under the impression that it is not allowed in the EU for safety reasons. Yes, you'll get carjacked at traffic lights! (for which you can manually lock them) lol, but in the event of an accident, the emergency services need to get you out, which is difficult if the doors are always locked!

So how is it that practically every other car from every other manufacturer sold in Europe has this feature?

The car knows when it is is a crash (it sets the airbags off, turns the hazzards on etc), all manufacturers send a door unlock signal in the event of a crash signal being detected by the car. Ford does exactly this also (they have to in case you locked the doors  manually using the button) so you won't get stuck inside in the event of a crash.

So, it leaves me totaly bewildered as to why Ford think they needed to do something different.

5 hours ago, KugaEdge said:

So it's done. After a lot of practice goes and familiarising myself with the OBD adapter (OBDLink MX) and the software (Forscan) I've edited the relevant settings in the BCM and IPC modules and drive away locking now is enabled and working with no unforeseen consequences. It's not for the feint hearted however.

As it happens I changed the three flash indicators to four flash indicators as my trial run to make sure I was happy with the programming process.

So, when is our date then?

H

2 minutes ago, Hamster said:

So, when is our date then?

H

If only you were closer. Next time I'm up that way I promise it's a date.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club