Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo ST ABS & ESP light on

Mrb18505

Ok guys need some help solving this one 

My Mondeo MK3 ST has both abs and esp light on now I have had both front CV joints , wheels bearings and abs sensors replaced ,all wiring has been traced and checked for damage all good there and so after a full live diagnostic reading done the fault still remains at passenger wheel ..... Anyone have any suggestions ???

Thanks in advance 

Its normally either the senser of the wiring the wiring is very hard to fault find, is this front or rear, if its front the wiring break is usually in the  plastic covered bit and if its the rear there is a junction under the rear seats that often cause the problem, also check the  reluctor rings are free from corrosion.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi thanks for reply all front end is new parts also full section of wiring from abs sensor upto wing has been replaced yet fault remains 

Problem lies at front passenger side but everything has been replaced there 

4 hours ago, Mrb18505 said:

Problem lies at front passenger side but everything has been replaced there 

As i said in an earler post are the reluctor ring clean and free from corrosion, sorry if this has been changed as younsay everything is new.

Appreciate the replies both passenger and drivers side has had new CV joints , new wheels bearings , new abs sensors and new wiring from the sensor up to the wiring under the bonnet. 

Diagnostics still throwing up passenger side fault but even the garage it's been to have given up as they can't find why it's a fault 🙁

It may sound daft but have they put the old sensor and wiring back on to see if any of the new parts are faulty. Just a thought.

16 hours ago, Kawasaki kid said:

It may sound daft but have they put the old sensor and wiring back on to see if any of the new parts are faulty. Just a thought.

Yes the old sensor was tried in drivers side and did flag up faulty 

20 hours ago, stef123 said:

Anyone put a scope on it to see the waveform from the sensor? 

Yes mate numerous times and it's the same result , can get a reading that indicates abs sensor is at fault 

im wondering if the original fault was wheel bearing but replacement bearing was put in the wrong way round? 

or could even be an internal fault in the abs module. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iantt said:

im wondering if the original fault was wheel bearing but replacement bearing was put in the wrong way round? 

or could even be an internal fault in the abs module. 

Wheel bearing was gone to start with and has been changed twice as first thought was it wrong way round.... Live data diagnostic doesn't indicate abs module to have any faults how would l find that out ???? Or is it just swap it for another abs module

You need a scope on it, to prove the signal and look at the waveform generated by the bearing. If you can prove you are getting that at the ecu preferably then you can go from there.

Depending on the setup I'd probably go for something like that, I'd want to see what signal the abs sensor is throwing out all the way back to the connector at the ecu if possible.

Also the wiring from the ecu to the sensor connector, has this been tested? 

Thanks everyone for replies actually solved the problem today after 4 weeks and stupid amounts of cash spent on new parts and data testing ..... Turns out the fault was actually the wheel hub itself ...why garages never picked up this I don't know but the new wheel bearings that went in the outer casing wasn't holding tight in the hub itself and just the centre bearing moving .... The wheel bearing whole was spinning around in the hub loose so the abs sensor couldn't pick up a reading from it ☹️ .... A second hand hub today and immediately abs light went out and no more fault .... Next task give the garages some jip why this wasn't checked while wheel bearings was done 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrb18505 said:

Thanks everyone for replies actually solved the problem today after 4 weeks and stupid amounts of cash spent on new parts and data testing ..... Turns out the fault was actually the wheel hub itself ...why garages never picked up this I don't know but the new wheel bearings that went in the outer casing wasn't holding tight in the hub itself and just the centre bearing moving .... The wheel bearing whole was spinning around in the hub loose so the abs sensor couldn't pick up a reading from it ☹️ .... A second hand hub today and immediately abs light went out and no more fault .... Next task give the garages some jip why this wasn't checked while wheel bearings was done 

AHH!! That just reminded me I has exactly the same issue some years ago on a mk3 Mondeo and was the passenger front also. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, iantt said:

AHH!! That just reminded me I has exactly the same issue some years ago on a mk3 Mondeo and was the passenger front also. 

It has been a Argh !!! Few weeks came close to giving up on it 

well that's good news then. I've heard of this before but I've never come across it yet. 

1 hour ago, stef123 said:

well that's good news then. I've heard of this before but I've never come across it yet. 

Took me by surprise too even the garage that did 2 wheel bearings missed it so it must be uncommon or not easy to tell if it's a hub problem. 

7 hours ago, Mrb18505 said:

Took me by surprise too even the garage that did 2 wheel bearings missed it so it must be uncommon or not easy to tell if it's a hub problem. 

When they refitted the hub it must have went into the bearing very easy.