Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta Mk6 Gearbox Problem?

lew-92

Hi I am a new member on this forum and have only just passed my driving test (3 weeks ago) and I have been driving my mums ford fiesta studio every so often.

The problem i'm having is that once i have reversed the car off the drive and then want to engage 1st gear it takes about 4 or 5 attempts to engage first gear. The thing is once its gone into gear there are never any other issues with 1st gear so it's only early in the morning when reversing off the drive that the issue arises. Also when the engine is off it goes into gear fine.

I don't know much about cars but in my opinion there is something wrong however my dad says there isn't.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Lewis

Hi I am a new member on this forum and have only just passed my driving test (3 weeks ago) and I have been driving my mums ford fiesta studio every so often.

The problem i'm having is that once i have reversed the car off the drive and then want to engage 1st gear it takes about 4 or 5 attempts to engage first gear. The thing is once its gone into gear there are never any other issues with 1st gear so it's only early in the morning when reversing off the drive that the issue arises. Also when the engine is off it goes into gear fine.

I don't know much about cars but in my opinion there is something wrong however my dad says there isn't.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Lewis

The Fiesta 'Box, the IB/IB5, has always had baulky problems, particularly when cold. Ford have only improved it a bit, by using Castrol SMX-S 75/90, fully synthetic gear oil, which was developed for "difficult" gearboxes. The 'box in my Sept '08 Fiesta 1.25, has improved over 5,500 miles, but engaging reverse or first will always be worse as they are devoid of synchromesh, so pause in neutral, engage second before trying these gears. This should stop the input shaft in the 'box spinning, before you try 1st or reverse. If problems persist, have the brake/clutch fluid renewed and bled properly, as you may have a "spongy" pedal and trailing clutch. (these 2 fluids share a common reservoir.)

Only engage these gears at standstill.

I don't really know if I have something wrong with the gearbox in my Mk7. Second gear is a bit difficult to change into from third unless I'm going at an absolute crawl. the gear changes also don't seem to be as smooth as the should be, given some of the compliments members on here have given on the nice gear changes.

Ford gearboxes seem to be rather bad at first and reverse gear. Since ive known it to effect the fiesta,ka and the focus i learnt to drive in(although not as bad as the other two)

Before putting into reverse gear i find it best to fully press down the clutch for about 3-4 seconds, 7 is best but takes a little to long if your trying to park up. This should help get in gear nicer, especially on a cold start.

However first gear I haven't found a solution to but it only comes now and then so im not too bothered.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club